Editing someone else's scripts and notecards
This article covers how to let someone else modify notecards and scripts in objects owned by you and rezzed in-world.
Here are all the conditions that need to be in effect for this to be possible
- the notecard or script must be modifiable, copyable and transferable;
- the script or notecard must be in an object set to a group that the other belongs to;
- the other person must have modify rights of the object (for example by setting the object to 'share with group');
- you must bring up the properties for the notecard or script and tick 'Group members can 'Modify', 'Copy' and 'Move' '. This must be done after the group of the object is already set. If you set or change the group later, you have to untick the 'Group members can' boxes and then tick them again for things to work;
- when opening the notecard or script, the other person must have that group tag active.
If these conditions are in place, your partner or friend will be able to edit notecards and scripts in your objects.
This also works in group deeded objects, but then you too must have the group tag activated at the time you want to edit a notecard or script in them.
- When adding a script or notecard to a prim owned by someone else, be sure to make the script or notecard (even a bare shell of it) in your inventory first, and do the "Group members can" ticks there first, before dropping it into the prim. Otherwise, you will be locked out of the script / notecard, even if you are the one who clicked the "New Script" button on the Content folder inside the prim. If you forget in a hurry, you'll have to wait and ask your partner to pass you the script / notecard, or, if you haven't invested much time on that script or notecard that you've just been locked out of, just delete it from the prim and do it properly in your inventory and drop it in again.
- Note that not everyone in the group can edit a notecard or script in your objects just because they have their group tag activated: all the other conditions, notably having modify rights for the object, must also be in place. See the Groups entry for more info on "group tags" and "active."