From Second Life Wiki
The hippo is the unofficial Second Life Mascot.
- Hippo could be found in the Hikaru Yamamoto 's zoo.
- Hippo statues and hippo avatars became very popular in Second Life.
- Hippo mania touched Lindens themselves (read this Example).
- You could see the word hippos in the menus/lists while they where still loading, on some occasions.
A way I've found to reproduce this more easily at times is to artificially induce HEAVY packet loss by downloading and doing lots of other things on your Net connection while on SL. Sometimes when there's a loading delay, the (hippos) will shine their curried favors on you again.
– Torley(before he became a Linden), 02-01-2006, 12:00 AM, SL Forum
- An SL National Hippo Day was declared for February 15th.
- An hippo-easter-egg was added to the viewer (press  - - - )!
Whenever bugs were found, hippos would be unleashed and they would skip through SL stopping bugs and evil gnomes (who planted bugs)!
Oh the great hippo! Stomper of gnomes! Savior of all Second Life! How we worship thee!
Hippos are now a breedable pet animal in Second Life!
Vote for the JIRA to get them added as an actual category on the marketplace. See Jira WEB-4495
- ^ The Easter egg has been re-added to viewer 2. See