Linden Department of Public Works
What is it?
The Linden Department of Public Works (LDPW) is a program focused on improvements related to the experience of living on, or visiting the Linden Mainland. The LDPW will organize teams of Resident builders, artists, and scripters (the Moles!) to create new content on Linden Lab's behalf and to the benefit of all. Rather than divert company resources from areas of development that contribute to important issues like stability and usability, Linden Lab is choosing to go to the experts...
It should be no surprise that when it comes to creating compelling SL content, it's the Resident population itself that serves as the best talent pool. In order to hit the ground running, the LDPW has approached a number of content creators whose credentials are well-established, but from the start, its intentions were to make application to the program open to all residents. So if you're a skilled content creator, please consider applying when the application process is open!
Lindens in the LDPW
Michael Linden is a Senior Content Specialist.
Vitae Linden is a Second Life Content Creator.
Patch Linden is the Senior Manager, Product Operations.
Residents in the LDPW
Hard working city and country moles, these are the Residents that have made up the illustrious ranks of molekind. Note this list is not complete, and also includes veteran moles no longer with the LDPW.
Past and Present Moles of the LDPW
Here are some common questions from the various blog postings and LDPW office hours, as answered by LDPW Lindens.
- Is this a volunteer position?
- The moles are paid an hourly rate.
- Do I have to be good at design, building, texturing, sculpting, 3D modelling AND scripting to apply?
- Fully rounded content creators are certainly encouraged to apply, but we will be asking you to indicate your core skill, assuming that most people are not Leonardo DaVinci and specialize in certain areas.
- What if I can't do any of those things, but still want to help somehow?
- Contribute your ideas here on the wiki! Suggest Region names and builds, or future LDPW projects, or even other ways for individuals to participate.
- Do the contractors keep the rights to their content?
- In order to maintain the rights to reproduce the content and to make some of it available via the Library, Linden Lab is purchasing full rights to content created by the mole builders.
- Aren't you supposed to be fixing lag and stuff?
- The LDPW project has no impact whatsoever on engineering or development efforts to improve Second Life. You REALLY don't want the the LDPW folks mucking about in the server code. Trust me.
- So this LDPW thing is all about making new city Regions?
- Not usually, no, although a new city area (Bay City) was the first LDPW project.
- So there will be road building then?
- Yes, LDPW creates, maintains and upgrades roads and bridges on Mainland regions, along with a number of other infrastructure projects ranging from planting trees, to new Welcome Islands. We'll be taking all suggestions into account, so please stay tuned and join the continued discussion.
- What's all this about moles?
- The contractors use accounts with the last name Mole, which references a bit of graffiti that appeared in the original city Regions long ago ... "Beware the Mole People!" Of course, those moles who wish to make their primary account names known are certainly free to do so.