Linden Lab Official:Teens in Second Life
Teens in Second Life
Second Life is generally for adults 18 years and older; however, if you are 13 years of age or older you can use Second Life with some restrictions. If you're:
- 16-17 years old you can access regions and search results that have a General maturity rating.
- 13-15 years old, you can access Second Life through an affiliated organization and will be restricted to the private estate of that organization. Only avatars approved by that organization will be able to enter these estates. You can't use Second Life search or purchase items from the Marketplace.
See Maturity ratings Knowledge Base article for information on Second Life maturity ratings.
Linden Homes are not available to Residents under the age of 18. Sixteen and seventeen year-old users have the other benefits of becoming premium account holders. However, they will not be able to access Linden Homes until they turn 18.
Organizations sponsoring under-16 Residents
Requirements for sponsoring organizations
All organizations serving users under the age of 16 must keep their estates private, with 13-15 year old accounts limited to their estate. Access to the estate by users 16 or older will be at the discretion of the owner of that estate, using estate privacy and whitelist features.
To serve 13-15 year old users, you must limit them to your Second Life estate. To do this, you must:
- Use the Registration API.
- Have a private region (island) in Second Life.
- Bring teens onto this island through your own website.
You can form groups that include teens and IM and exchange objects with teens who come in through your Reg API. However, in this case, these accounts will NOT be able to leave your island and visit other spaces, search within Second Life or purchase from the Marketplace. In this "closed island" model, you can form groups, IM, and exchange objects with them; but all these activities are limited to your island.