To troubleshoot your model, please make sure your model complies with these guidelines.
Help with finding your viewer log file for info on errors can be found here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Help#Where_do_I_find_my_SecondLife.log_file.3F
COLLADA file format
We support the COLLADA 1.4 specification.
We support triangles and polygons, not nurbs, surface patches, etc.
Errors upon importing a mesh usually result in the high level of detail being blank and the message "missing required level of detail" appearing in the importer window. Details about the error can usually be found in the SecondLife.log file.
Below is a list of error messages:
- "Error with dae - traditionally indicates a corrupt file." -- the COLLADA file is not compatible with the COLLADA DOM used by Second Life
- "can't find internal doc" -- the COLLADA file parsed successfully, but contains no data
- "document has no root" -- the xml provided has no "root" node
- "No visual scene - unable to parse bone offsets" -- bone offsets for joints could not be loaded because no visual_scene node exists, bone offsets will be ignored
- "The found element is not a translate node" -- an odd transformation was used for a joint. Some joint positions may not be correct
- "Partial jointmap found in asset - did you mean to just have a partial map?" -- some joints from the default avatar skeleton are missing from the COLLADA file. Skin information may not import properly.
- "Tried to apply joint position from .dae, but it did not exist in the avatar rig." -- a joint from the COLLADA file could not be matched up to the Second Life avatar rig
- "Possibly misnamed/missing joint [<joint_name>]" -- the named joint is missing from the COLLADA file or is misnamed
- "document has no visual_scene" -- visual_scene node absent, COLLADA file cannot be interpreted
- "Negative scale detected, unsupported transform. domInstance_geometry: <instance_name>" -- the named instance has a negative scale, which is unsupported by Second Life
- "Unable to resolve geometry URL." -- a geometry URL from the COLLADA file could not be resolved, likely indicating a corrupt file.
- "WARNING: load_face_from_dom_triangles: Out of range TC indices" from log file after "Error: element is invalid" and "Missing required level of detail." -- The importer doesn't like it if you have more than one UV map.
We support up to 4 influences per vertex.
Your skeleton names and hierarchy must match the Second Life avatar skeleton.
Note: The following was pulled directly from the XML file mentioned in the above link. It includes an extra "head" bone (mSkull) which is, I believe, where the avatar's hair rest and the "skull" attachment point resides, and the mToeLeft and mToeRight bones, which are more than I expected to exist on the foot as I've been wanting a toe bone for years. I haven't tested if these are usable, animating bones yet. -Stickman 18:21, 20 June 2011 (PDT)
That is, your skeleton should include the following bones:
Torso and Head
- mPelvis (root)
- mTorso (child of mPelvis)
- mChest (child of mTorso)
- mNeck (child of mChest)
- mHead (child of mNeck)
- mSkull (child of mHead)
- mEyeRight (child of mHead)
- mEyeLeft (child of mHead)
- mCollarLeft (child of mChest)
- mShoulderLeft (child of mCollarLeft)
- mElbowLeft (child of mShoulderLeft)
- mWristLeft (child of mElbowLeft)
- mCollarRight (child of mChest)
- mShoulderRight (child of mCollarRight)
- mElbowRight (child of mShoulderRight)
- mWristRight (child of mElbowRight)
- mHipLeft (child of mPelvis)
- mKneeLeft (child of mHipLeft)
- mAnkleLeft (child of mKneeLeft)
- mFootLeft (child of mAnkleLeft)
- mToeLeft (child of mFootLeft)
- mHipRight (child of mPelvis)
- mKneeRight (child of mHipRight)
- mAnkleRight (child of mKneeRight)
- mFootRight (child of mAnkleRight)
- mToeRight (child of mFootRight)
If the model you're importing is too small or too big, please check the unit settings in your modeling software.
In Second Life, the Z-axis is the vertical axis.