Open Grid Public Beta/Open Sim OGP How To
In the \[OpenGridProtocol\] section of OpenSim.ini enable OGP support.
See Teravus Ousley's instructions for enabling SSL/HTTPS Support.
Instructions to startup a basic OGP OpenSim configuration
Before You Get Started:
- Make sure you have joined the Gridnauts group and are able to logon to the aditi beta grid with your normal SL client.
- Make sure you have claimed a set of coordinates on the grid for your sim.
- Download the Gridnaut Special Edition SL Viewer.
- Download and build the OpenSim trunk.
- Start OpenSim.exe.
After you start OpenSim.exe, you will be presented with a console and you will need to answer a few questions to help it get your configuration set...
- Region Name What you want displayed in the "About Land" for your regions name
- X Axis The X coordinate of the grid location that you staked out
- Y Axis The Y coordinate of the grid location that you staked out
- internal ip address you can go with the default here to start with, although you may need to make changes here if you have an issue with the client connecting to your region 'after' you are authenticated. see notes below
- internal ip port the UDP port you will be listening on. The default of 9000 is appropriate in most cases (if you change this, you will need to edit the value in OpenSim.ini to reflect the changes here)
- external host name The hostname of your region server (you can use the IP address of your server here too)
- Master Avatar Firstname Your avatar's first name
- Master Avatar Lastname You avatar's last name
- Sandbox Password This won't be used, so the default of "test" is OK.
OpenSim will now write out the configuration files and finish the startup procedure, so type "shutdown" at the prompt. We need to make a couple of changes to OpenSim.ini before we can run...
- default_location_x Set this to the x coordinate of your stakeout
- default_location_y Set this to the y coordinate of your stakeout
- http_listener_port make sure this matches the UDP port in your Regions/default.xml - internal_ip_port
- ogp_enabled this needs to be set to true for OGP mode
- GRID SETTINGS: OGP now includes the ability to have a region exist on two grids. Some notes...
* The region will occupy the same coordiante space on both grids * You can login to your grid with the normal viewer and do anything in your region your normally would on your other regions. * When logging in with the OGP client, you will be "Ruthed" and have no inventory
- Enabling Grid Mode
- gridmode Set this to "true"
- grid_server_url Set this to the IP address of your Grid server
- user_server_url Set this to the IP address for your grid's user server
- asset_server_url This points to the asset server for your grid
- inventory_server_url And, your grids inventory server
- grid_send_key / grid_recv_key / user_send_key / user_recv_key Set these as required by your grid
- ogp_firstname_prefix / ogp_lastname_suffix This is set to "" and "_EXTERNAL" by default
Be sure that your location settings work without conflicting other regions on either grid
READY, SET, GO...
- Save the file
- Run OpenSim.exe
- Point your client at your URI
- Get the bear!!
If you are setting your region up for public access, please make an entry with your URI and contact information in the Public Regions page.
NOTE: You may experience issues with firewalls/nat, You can find tips on OpenSim.org wiki , see below for tips or seek help on IRC freenode.net - #gridnauts and #opensim
- If you have trouble with authentication make sure 'accounts_authenticate = false' in your OpenSim.ini
- Firewalls: If your OGP OpenSim is running in standalone mode, then you only need to open the port listed in your region descriptor - bin/Regions/default.xml, <... interernal_ip_port=9000 ...> attribute, 9000 unless you fiddle it. HOWEVER, you must open it for _both_ TPC and UDP in both directions.
- If you are behind a firewall and open your 9000 port for TCP and UDP and still can't teleport to your OGP OpenSim, check the listener channel and open that port as well. You may see the teleport attempt hitting the server in the log but may not be able to connect until the listener port is opened also.
- If your server is running on a dual-homed host, you might try setting your internal_ip_addres = external_host_name