Simulator User Group/Transcripts/2012.07.20

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Simulator_User_Group

Prev 2012.07.17 Next 2012.07.24

List of Speakers

Andrew Linden Ardy Lay Baker Linden
Chieron Tenk DrFran Babcock Jack42 Meredith
jen Fang Jonathan Yap Kennylex Luckless
Maestro Linden MartinRJ Motor Loon
Moundsa Mayo Nalates Urriah Rex Cronon
Siana Gearz Simon Linden Sniper Siemens

Transcript

[16:02] Sniper Siemens: Hello Andrew

[16:02] Motor Loon: Andrew... Simon

[16:03] jen Fang: Hi Simon

[16:03] Baker Linden: Hello Martin!

[16:03] Andrew Linden: Hello everyone.

[16:03] Rex Cronon: hi andrew

[16:03] Baker Linden: and hello everyone as well

[16:03] MartinRJ: Hello

[16:03] Rex Cronon: hi baker

[16:03] Simon Linden: Hello everyone

[16:03] Rex Cronon: hi simon

[16:04] Andrew Linden: Today is one of those days that I don't have much news.

[16:04] Andrew Linden: I had a bunch of bullet items to look into, and didn't get to most of them.

[16:04] Motor Loon: I know that feeling

[16:04] Andrew Linden: I know Maestro was looking into reports of extra lag on region crossing on in pathfinding regions (Magnum channel)

[16:05] Andrew Linden: and was not able to repro it.

[16:05] Andrew Linden: I wasn't able to try to update the pathfinding release notes

[16:05] Motor Loon: [15:28] Maestro Linden: Oh by the way, I did a region crossing performance test just before this huddle

[15:29] Maestro Linden: between 2 pathfinding regions, then between 2 main channel version regions

[15:29] Maestro Linden: it's the same

[15:29] Maestro Linden: like 50.9ms average vs 51.1ms average, crossing on a mesh motorcycle 40 times each

[16:06] Andrew Linden: meanwhile, I did get two reports of corrupted inventory

[16:06] Andrew Linden: one for dupe Favorites or some other folder, and one for mysteriously lost inventory items

[16:06] Andrew Linden: the former was true, and I know how to fix it, but haven't yet fixed the perl script that I need to test

[16:06] Rex Cronon: were your scripts able to fix them?

[16:07] Andrew Linden: as for the latter report, I wasn't able to detect any lost items (items in inventory that were not in valid folders)

[16:08] Andrew Linden: so if anything were lost then it is truly lost (not in database)

[16:08] Andrew Linden: it isn't clear how that happened, if it di

[16:08] Andrew Linden: did

[16:08] Andrew Linden: anyway, that's all the new... except for a pathfinding bug I fixed this morning...

[16:08] Ardy Lay: I asked two people to report their issues to you but those don't sound like the right symptoms to be those two.

[16:08] Andrew Linden: lemme look up the number..

[16:09] Andrew Linden: PATHBUG-163

[16:09] Rex Cronon: don't u guys backup your db. at leas once a year?

[16:09] Andrew Linden: oh the db is backed up all the time

[16:10] Andrew Linden: with multiple slaves for real-time fallover and also big backups

[16:10] Kennylex Luckless: tough guys do not take bakup.

[16:10] Andrew Linden: dunno how long the offline backups are kept around

[16:10] Andrew Linden: however, they are hard to wrangle for a single person's inventory... very big files

[16:11] Andrew Linden: They are for catastrophic recovery

[16:11] Andrew Linden: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/pathbug-163

[16:11] Andrew Linden: On attachments, PRIM_SIZE causes PRIM_POS_LOCAL and PRIM_POSITION to be ignored

[16:11] Rex Cronon: maybe if each one of us could get a local backup copy of our inventory,it would be way easier to fix mixing items:)

[16:12] Motor Loon: What did you change then Andrew?

[16:12] Andrew Linden: What Motor? for pathbug-163?

[16:12] Motor Loon: yes

[16:13] Andrew Linden: it came down to a check for attachments that avoided doing the position change... dunno how that got there

[16:13] Motor Loon: ok

[16:13] Andrew Linden: I just reverted that change. It was probably part of a larger overhaul... some confused dev

[16:13] Andrew Linden: perhaps me

[16:13] Motor Loon: grins

[16:14] Andrew Linden: That's all I've got. Simon?

[16:14] Andrew Linden: Ok, I guess the table is open.

[16:14] Simon Linden: Let's see - we're looking to promote the bug-fix code that's on the Bluesteel regoin next week

[16:15] Simon Linden: That's the plan as of now -- of course things may change if something blows up in the next few days

[16:15] Simon Linden: I also did some viewer work recently for scripting that will paste the LSL tooltip into your scripts

[16:16] Simon Linden: The workflow goes liek this - type the lsl function name, double-click, hover the mouse until the tool tip appears, press tab

[16:16] Motor Loon: so... the Bluesteel bugs have been sorted?

[16:16] Simon Linden: Then what you types is replaced with teh full function(and parameters)

[16:16] Simon Linden: typed*

[16:17] Simon Linden: What bugs do you mean, Motor?

[16:17] Motor Loon: the SIT animation being triggered on crossings etc.

[16:17] Simon Linden: That will be fixed by promoting it - it only happens between BS regions and older versions

[16:17] Simon Linden: It actually exposed a bug in the older code

[16:17] Rex Cronon: in viewer 3 can us save/load a local lsl file?

[16:17] Motor Loon: well, it'll still be there if you're connected to another RC then

[16:17] Motor Loon: ,-)

[16:18] Simon Linden: They get updated on Wednesday

[16:18] Jonathan Yap: Yes Rex

[16:18] Simon Linden: so by Wednesday noonish it should be gone

[16:18] Jonathan Yap: There is a local editor option in the debug settings

[16:18] Motor Loon: well ok, crosses fingers

[16:18] Rex Cronon: oh. ok. that is good.

[16:20] Simon Linden: That's all I have

[16:20] Rex Cronon: so silent. for sec i tought my connection broke

[16:21] Andrew Linden: The table is open.

[16:21] Motor Loon puts the plug back into Rex's viewer

[16:21] Rex Cronon: i am wireless:)

[16:21] Rex Cronon: no plugs:)

[16:22] Motor Loon: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-5085

[16:22] JIRA-helper: [#SVC-5085] Allow llSetPrimitiveParams() and llSetScale to change size of physical prims

[16:22] Simon Linden: Is anyone besides me seeing Motor's AV as having too many transparent parts?

[16:22] Motor Loon: since you kinda brought it up Andrew

[16:22] Nalates Urriah: yes

[16:22] Motor Loon: my avatar looks fine on my screen

[16:23] Jack42 Meredith: hi i am new here. and i all the sudden in the last week or so have issues with inventory.. how can i fix it?

[16:23] Chieron Tenk: looks fine here, too

[16:23] Nalates Urriah: I zoomed and he finished rezzing

[16:23] Jack42 Meredith: i click on folder and it does nothing

[16:23] Kennylex Luckless: I did miss the beginning, was there a inventor problem?

[16:23] Moundsa Mayo: Been all here since I TPed in.

[16:23] Rex Cronon: talk to andrew. he is the guy interested in fixing inventory:)

[16:24] Simon Linden: I'm on the latest LL beta and wondering if that's a new rendering bug - I know Runitai has been doing a lot of graphics work

[16:24] Andrew Linden: Motor, the reason for that llSetScale() failing was due to how crashy was our Havok1 physics engine

[16:24] Motor Loon: You do know it can be done now anyway and works fine right?

[16:25] Andrew Linden: it was extra easy to crash by setting concave dynamic objects to big scale

[16:25] Andrew Linden: yeah, it isn't such a problem today

[16:25] Motor Loon: I use it myself in my products

[16:25] Motor Loon: just annoying you can't "officially" do it

[16:25] Jack42 Meredith: will the inventory problem get worked out ? cause if it will i will not worry about it? but if not i have to take different approach.

[16:25] Motor Loon: WIKI also still states its impossible

[16:26] Andrew Linden: what do you mean it can be done unofficially?

[16:26] Ardy Lay: I have been wondering why I sometimes see a lot of Error 499 in the log when trying to access inventory. When that is going on I cannot drag items from inventory to the ground.

[16:26] Motor Loon: I mean I can change the size of a physical prim via script, despite it's claimed to be not possible

[16:26] Andrew Linden: using what script call? llSetScale()?

[16:26] Motor Loon: lots of creators use it, but I seems to be a bit of a "builders secret"

[16:27] Jack42 Meredith: i am patient . if it gets worked out i am cool but i need to know :)

[16:27] Motor Loon: well, I use llSetLinkPrimitiveParams

[16:27] Motor Loon: the trick is

[16:27] Motor Loon: if you just try to use PRIM_SCALE it wont work

[16:27] Motor Loon: but if you put PRIM_POS first ... it will

[16:27] Simon Linden: Jack - have you filed a support request about your inventory? They have some scripts that can be run on your account that look for and try to fix errors

[16:27] Andrew Linden: ah I see

[16:27] Motor Loon: PRIM_POSITION

[16:27] Jack42 Meredith: no i havent Simon

[16:28] Jack42 Meredith: i thought it was just a update bug

[16:28] Andrew Linden: well, if we were to suddenly make llSetScale() and other methods just work on dynamic objects... would that break any content?

[16:28] Motor Loon: regardless... it works and I've seen no issues with products using the resize of prims while physical

[16:28] Andrew Linden knows the answer is "yes", but maybe someone here has a feel for "how much"

[16:28] Motor Loon: I dont see why it should

[16:28] Motor Loon: Why would anyone use it, if they didnt expect the prim to change size

[16:28] Andrew Linden: why indeed

[16:29] Andrew Linden: we could break their stuff and then ask them

[16:29] Motor Loon: yes

[16:29] Motor Loon: Aslong as you dont break the "workaround" I mentioned

[16:29] Motor Loon: that *will* break alot of stuff

[16:29] Siana Gearz: you are very funny Andrew.

[16:30] Andrew Linden: er... by "workaround" you mean it ONLY works when you use PRIM_POSITION first, in conjuction with PRIM_SCALE?

[16:30] Motor Loon: yes

[16:30] Meeter: Timecheck : User Group is half over

[16:30] Jack42 Meredith: i guess my question is... if i wait long enough. will my inventory come back???????? cause i dont care but i want it back but i am patient about ti

[16:30] Motor Loon: I assume it's a little "slip" in the attempt to restrict its use

[16:30] Simon Linden: Jack - I think the usual steps are to clear your viewer caches to make sure it gets a fresh copy of all the data, and then if it's still bad ask support (with details on what's wrong)

[16:30] Andrew Linden: so... if you use SCALE first then POSITION the scale effect should be ignored Motor?

[16:30] Jack42 Meredith: it

[16:31] Jack42 Meredith: ok ty Simon

[16:31] Motor Loon: scale shouldn't be ignored at all.. thats my point

[16:31] Andrew Linden: Ok, just trying to make sense of what you mean by "don't break the workaround"

[16:31] Motor Loon: but yes... if you do it now... on a physical object... the SCALE is ignored

[16:31] Andrew Linden: if it just works... there is no workaround.

[16:31] Jack42 Meredith: but if it is a problem that LL will fix in future i can wait

[16:31] Motor Loon: example:

[16:31] Jack42 Meredith: i just need to know this

[16:32] Andrew Linden: Jack42, I'm interested in your inventory problem. I'll read back...

[16:32] Jack42 Meredith: i can do with out items in my inventory for the time if it will eventually come back

[16:32] Baker Linden: I don't have a lot to report about -- I'm still working on SVC-4968.

I've been slowly improving the performance of the issue, but the path down which I was going turned out to have some issues.

I'm working now on converting my progress over to use a wsgi script to asynchronously do the large db query.

[16:32] JIRA-helper: http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-4968

[#SVC-4968] Group won't load - too many members

[16:32] Jack42 Meredith: ok andrew

[16:33] Andrew Linden: Jack42, your problem is that you have a folder in inventory that is unresponsive?

[16:33] Andrew Linden: You click on it and cannot open?

[16:33] Motor Loon: llSetLinkPrimitiveParams( linksetitem, [ PRIM_SIZE, <1,1,1>] ); <--- does not work while physical, no size change llSetLinkPrimitiveParams( linksetitem, [ PRIM_POSITION, llGetPos(), PRIM_SIZE, <1,1,1>] ); <--- does change size while physical

[16:33] Jack42 Meredith: i use to have 20.000 items in my inventory now i have 14.000 and most folders dont open

[16:33] Jack42 Meredith: yes Andrew exactly :)

[16:33] Motor Loon: quickly writing ... may not compile... but you can my meaning

[16:33] Jack42 Meredith: it wont open

[16:33] Andrew Linden: Ah. Jack42, what make/version of the viewer are you using?

[16:34] Andrew Linden: ok Motor, you just want the scale operation to work, right?

[16:34] Jack42 Meredith: it is firestrom v4.1.1.28744

[16:34] Motor Loon: yes

[16:34] Motor Loon: no reason why it shouldn't ... espicially since it does anyway if the little trick above it done

[16:34] Jack42 Meredith: i have sl viewer but havent tryed it yet

[16:35] Andrew Linden: Ok, I'll consider it Motor and consult with Kelly to see if he thinks it could be done.

[16:35] Andrew Linden: The worry of course is broken content.

[16:35] Motor Loon: Understand

[16:35] Jack42 Meredith: yes

[16:35] Andrew Linden: But maybe we won't break enough to matter?

[16:35] Andrew Linden: I don't think we have metrics to answer that question, so maybe the only way to find out is to try.

[16:35] Jack42 Meredith: ahhh hell . if it is broken . we just erase and start over with a lighter inventory :D

[16:36] Motor Loon: I dont think you'd break anything really

[16:36] Jack42 Meredith: well just trying to figure out what happened

[16:37] Jack42 Meredith: but if anything i can delete all my inventory and start over :D

[16:37] Motor Loon: Its really useful to be able to resize prims in a linkset even while physical

[16:37] Andrew Linden: Anybody know whether the phoenix viewer uses v1.23 style inventory browsing?

[16:37] Jack42 Meredith: i need to anywya :)

[16:37] Jack42 Meredith: anyway

[16:37] Andrew Linden: Jack42, name one folder that does not open when you click it. You can IM me if you don't want to say it out loud ;-)

[16:37] Motor Loon: I use it on my new mesh boat for example, to make the "mainsheet" ropes align and resize themself to the "boom"

[16:37] Nalates Urriah: It uses the newer invnetory code with some additions.

[16:38] Nalates Urriah: Well I was thinking Firestorm... Phoenix may.

[16:38] Andrew Linden: Thanks Nalates. The newer inventory web service stuff should be more resilient to the appearance of broken inventory at the viewer.

[16:38] Jack42 Meredith: this avatar use to have a cool bubble pipe that kenny made and it is gone. i can only do the avatar now

[16:38] Jack42 Meredith: but i can fix it

[16:39] Siana Gearz: aaaah quick question, does everyone else see flashing tris around nalates once every few frames?

[16:39] Ardy Lay: Yes

[16:39] Motor Loon: no

[16:39] DrFran Babcock: kenny, give him another pipe

[16:39] Jack42 Meredith whispers: hi drfraN :)

[16:39] Andrew Linden: Ok Jack42, the thing to do, I think, would be to clear your cache (inventory cache?) and try downloading the inventory folders/items again.

[16:39] DrFran Babcock: whispers back: Hey jack

[16:39] Nalates Urriah: When I switch back and forth between Firestorm and LL viewers I have little problems. I only use Phoenix 1159 ro export shapes.

[16:40] Moundsa Mayo: No, Nal looks stable to me, but that might just be an illusion B^D

[16:40] Jack42 Meredith: ok i try thank you Andrew :)

[16:40] Nalates Urriah: Are we talking my mental stability?

[16:40] DrFran Babcock: I have wardrobe malfunctions when I switch, so I use V3.

[16:40] Andrew Linden: If the inventory is NOT really corrupted then I would expect that some of the non-working folders/items would work, but others would not.

[16:40] Nalates Urriah: Apperances are deciving

[16:40] Kennylex Luckless: I can give pipe. but it kind of not fix the problem :-)

[16:40] Jack42 Meredith: :)

[16:40] Andrew Linden: I'll try to do a scan now to see if my script can see any problem with your inv...

[16:41] DrFran Babcock: wow, that's power!

[16:41] Jack42 Meredith whispers: :D

[16:41] Jack42 Meredith: ok

[16:41] Jack42 Meredith: :D

[16:41] DrFran Babcock hides her folder labeled: ?????

[16:41] Jack42 Meredith: i trust lindens :)

[16:42] Motor Loon watches Andrews script wipe the inventory of anything not labeled "object"

[16:42] MartinRJ: siana I had that problem with one of the latest development viewers, but it's gone with the latest one

[16:42] Andrew Linden: Jack42, the script says you don't have any real inventory corruption

[16:42] Baker Linden: That's my script, Motor :)

[16:43] Motor Loon: hehe baker

[16:43] Motor Loon: you're such a griefer

[16:43] Baker Linden: haha

[16:43] Jack42 Meredith: then why is some of my inventory gone? :(

[16:43] Andrew Linden: specifically... folders that have no parent, or items that have no folder, or dupes of main category folders

[16:43] Jack42 Meredith: and wont load

[16:43] Ardy Lay: When the odd object appears near Nal, part of her hair disappears in the same frame.

[16:43] Andrew Linden: That is what we're wondering... perhaps the cache is bad. That would be the first thing to check.

[16:43] Jack42 Meredith: did you change the way inventory works??

[16:43] Nalates Urriah: Ardy, I have some mesh hair on

[16:44] Nalates Urriah: par of it is

[16:44] Andrew Linden: Anybody know how to clear the viewer's cached notion of the inventory?

[16:44] Jack42 Meredith: ok i clear cache and come back

[16:44] Motor Loon: same issue why some saw parts of my mesh clothes missing

[16:44] Nalates Urriah: http://blog.nalates.net/index.php/2010/08/01/second-life-lost-inventory-and-missing-inventory/

[16:44] Siana Gearz: it's cleared together with the rest of the cache.

[16:44] Ardy Lay: The part os over your left shoulder

[16:44] Andrew Linden: Thanks Nalates.

[16:44] Jack42 Meredith: i be right back

[16:44] Moundsa Mayo: Happy to report I just verified that my 3D printer runs fine when V3 active, even during jam-packed User Group Meeting. No Jira needed!

[16:44] Motor Loon: perhaps related to DEBUG SETTINGS / MeshMaxConcurrentRequests ??

[16:44] Motor Loon: I set mine to 256...

[16:44] Nalates Urriah: Ardy: That is the part that is mesh.

[16:44] Rex Cronon: r printing a statue of andrew:)

[16:45] Rex Cronon: r u*

[16:45] Simon Linden: Now if you just wire up the SL viewer to your 3D printer, you can start making models....

[16:45] Ardy Lay: The darker black portion of the mesh is vanishing

[16:45] Andrew Linden: I'm being imortalized in the real-world?

[16:45] Nalates Urriah: Andrw: The blog article is old, updated a few times. But all the inventory fixes I know are in it.

[16:45] Jonathan Yap: I think it would be funny to print one of those old vote boxes

[16:45] Moundsa Mayo: Heh. Have to avoid the copybot stigma ...

[16:45] DrFran Babcock wants a narrowboat

[16:46] Andrew Linden: Wow, those old vote boxes were from a long time ago.

[16:46] Moundsa Mayo: Simon, that's not so far-fetched, though.

[16:46] Nalates Urriah: Ardy: For me it looks ok.

[16:46] Motor Loon: what'd ya print Moundsa?

[16:46] Motor Loon: it was a penis right?

[16:46] Simon Linden: Not at all - James Linden had a model of his AV from years ago, when someone had access to that tech early on

[16:46] Rex Cronon: lol

[16:46] Ardy Lay: Nal, is that a product I could obtain?

[16:47] Ardy Lay: I'd like to use it in bug report against viewer.

[16:47] Nalates Urriah: Ardy: yes let me get details

[16:47] Siana Gearz: Ardy, will you ping me with the issue number please then?

[16:47] Ardy Lay: Sure

[16:47] Moundsa Mayo: Motor: one half of a cradle for a mini digital video recorder to go in a hybrid model rocket electronics bay.

[16:47] Motor Loon: that's alot less sexy Moundsa

[16:48] DrFran Babcock: wb, jack

[16:48] Moundsa Mayo: Heee. If you were on the field when they launched, you might disagree B^D

[16:48] Motor Loon: might ... I do love rockets...

[16:48] Motor Loon: woooooshhh!

[16:49] Rex Cronon: r u planning of targeting UFOs with those rockets:)

[16:49] Moundsa Mayo: These hybrids actually SCREAM when they go.

[16:49] Andrew Linden: hybrid means... liquid and solid fuel?

[16:49] Moundsa Mayo: No, govt. frowns on civilian guided missles.

[16:49] Motor Loon likes things that scream when they "go"

[16:49] Jack42 Meredith: ty drfran :)

[16:49] Motor Loon: aaand we're back to sex

[16:50] Jack42 Meredith: this take a bit i have cleared cache and loading slow :)

[16:50] Moundsa Mayo: ANdrew, the oxidizer isnitrogen oxide and the fuel is plastic, rubber, or cardboard. Anything with carbon.

[16:51] Motor Loon: SVC-7813 baker?

[16:51] JIRA-helper: http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7813

[#SVC-7813] [PUBLIC]Object Return Function of Region/Estate Menu does not work

[16:51] Andrew Linden: Jack42, I'm guessing that the inventory is loading via the old v1.23 system, which goes over UDP

[16:51] Motor Loon: how long before it gets rolled out?

[16:51] Rex Cronon: if the NO leaks u r going to have a good laugh:)

[16:51] Moundsa Mayo: Ii make a 'fuel grain' that is the combustion chamber too, out of ordinary ABS plastic

[16:51] Motor Loon: Got some girls who are dieing to test it out on my staff

[16:51] Jack42 Meredith: well i have firestorm latest viewer so should be up to date . as it was before

[16:51] Rex Cronon: u could use sugar:)

[16:52] Moundsa Mayo: It's industrial NO, denatured - not consumable.

[16:52] Moundsa Mayo: Yes, could use sugar.

[16:52] Siana Gearz: Andrew, why would this be happening? region dropped capability?

[16:52] Baker Linden: Give me a minute Motor

[16:52] Motor Loon: sure

[16:52] Baker Linden: it has passed QA

[16:52] Moundsa Mayo: Scuse for walking all over the UG meeting. I shut up now.

[16:52] Nalates Urriah: In Firestorm one can turn off HTTP Inventory... I think 4.1 still has that.

[16:52] Baker Linden: I'm not sure when it's being pushed though

[16:52] Motor Loon: arh

[16:52] Andrew Linden: Siana, you saw that in logs? or in an alert via the viewer UI?

[16:53] Jack42 Meredith: Andrew is what i am saying is . i am up to date as far as versions of viewers

[16:53] Rex Cronon: rockets tend to make any discussions intre

[16:53] Rex Cronon: interesting*

[16:53] Moundsa Mayo: I was just happy to verify that I could let the robot run while attending UG.

[16:53] Andrew Linden: Right Jack42, however not all of the latest viewers are actually using the latest protocols

[16:53] Jack42 Meredith: this problem happened over night

[16:53] Jack42 Meredith: ok

[16:54] Jack42 Meredith: maybe a update to LL ?

[16:54] Andrew Linden: especially 3rd party viewers that were based on the old viewer 1.23 codebase

[16:54] Simon Linden: SVC-7813 is likely due to the regions not getting the message out to all the regions in the estate, fwiw

[16:54] Jack42 Meredith: hmm . this shouldnt be old code based

[16:54] Andrew Linden: I wonder if it is possible to login with the latest LL viewer, cache your inventory, and then login with an older viewer... is the newer style inventory cache compatible with older viewers?

[16:54] Jack42 Meredith: i can see mes------h :D

[16:54] Andrew Linden: Anyone know?

[16:55] MartinRJ: no idea

[16:55] Jack42 Meredith: yes i can try the LL viewer Andrew . i havent tryed that yet

[16:55] Meeter: Timecheck : User Group is almost over

[16:55] Andrew Linden: Jack42, it might be work. Dunno.

[16:55] Motor Loon: they dont usually share cache location do they?

[16:55] Jack42 Meredith: ok ty :)

[16:55] Nalates Urriah: No FS installs using its own cache

[16:56] Jack42 Meredith: be right back

[16:56] Andrew Linden: Jack42, do you happen to know how much packet loss you experience with your viewer?

[16:56] Jack42 Meredith: i can check

[16:56] Andrew Linden: That would be an interesting number to know when you login and try to get your inventory with the phoenix viewer

[16:57] Andrew Linden: if you're getting lots of packet loss then I would expect your inv cache to be especially corrupt

[16:57] Jack42 Meredith: ok

[16:57] Andrew Linden: another possible workaround would be to set your bandwidth setting lower than what you expect it to really be

[16:57] Andrew Linden: clear your inv cache and login again with very small draw distance

[16:58] Jack42 Meredith: ok now that was a good one :) i wanted to know that

[16:58] Andrew Linden: and just sit around (not moving much) waitinf for your inventory to load

[16:58] Jack42 Meredith: i have been setting bandwith to a little higher

[16:58] Motor Loon: "just for a few days"

[16:58] Andrew Linden: That is, tryto minimize packet loss while downloading your inventory

[16:58] Jack42 Meredith: ok

[16:58] Ardy Lay: Go to one of the deserted "Voice Island" regions to load inventory after a cache clear. ;-)

[16:58] Andrew Linden: until you have your cache

[16:59] Jack42 Meredith: this is upload speed on bandwitth?

[16:59] Andrew Linden: Yeah, an empty deserted region would help too.

[16:59] Andrew Linden: Preferences --> Setup --> Maximum Bandwidth

[16:59] Ardy Lay: Seems like regions sending a lot of update traffic mess with inventory loading.

[17:00] Jack42 Meredith: i mean does taht apply to upload or download?

[17:00] Jack42 Meredith: so i know what to set it at

[17:00] Andrew Linden: Ardy is right, the object update traffice is also sent with UDP packets.

[17:00] Meeter: Thank you for coming to the Server User Group

[17:00] Andrew Linden: A region with lots of textures can also cause problems... opening up too many connections for some home routers

[17:01] Andrew Linden: although maybe that is fixed? I heard a rumor that there was a fix for that in some up and coming LL viewer

[17:01] Andrew Linden: maybe it is in beta already, not sure

[17:01] Rex Cronon: why doesn't viewer put request in a que so that it doesn't flood the pipe?

[17:01] Andrew Linden: Yes.

[17:02] Simon Linden: There are a couple of problems there - if you get a lot of UDP traffic, you can just lose packets

[17:02] Ardy Lay: SL viewer and web browsers initiate multiple simultaneous HTTP GETs to load things faster.

[17:03] Simon Linden: If you have a lot of TCP/IP traffic, that hogs bandwidth (and may cause the UDP packet loss) but can end up with lots of connections and the associated overhead

[17:03] Andrew Linden: There were some bugs in the texture HTTP download system. They've fixed some of them, but some others were harder to fix.

[17:03] Ardy Lay: Browsers usually limit this to 8 streams at a time.

[17:03] Andrew Linden: However, I'm not positive that the fixes for that have been posted for download yet.

[17:03] Ardy Lay: SL Viewer was trying 32 streams

[17:03] Ardy Lay: I think that has been reduced

[17:04] Ardy Lay: I would have to search to know for sure,

[17:04] Rex Cronon: i am curious. can u play wow and sl at same time?

[17:04] Ardy Lay: You can kinda see it in action by watching the texture console

[17:04] Jack42 Meredith: Andrew i have found the statistics bar and it says i have no packet loss at all

[17:05] Jack42 Meredith: oh and also

[17:05] Andrew Linden: ok good to know Jack42, however no packets lost now. I wonder if they are being lost during your inventory download

[17:05] Jack42 Meredith: i do now sense i have cleared cache. i have my inventory back :D

[17:06] Motor Loon: perhaps check HELP / ABOUT

[17:06] Motor Loon: mine says:

[17:06] Andrew Linden: yay!

[17:06] Motor Loon: Settings mode: Firestorm

Viewer Skin: firestorm (grey)

Font Used: Deja Vu (96)

Draw distance: 256

Bandwidth: 1500

LOD factor: 3

Built with MSVC version 1600

Packets Lost: 0/163,984 (0.0%)

[17:06] Jack42 Meredith: ty Andrew. i would have eventually did this but for got :)

[17:06] Jack42 Meredith: feel stupid now :D

[17:06] Andrew Linden: Ok, I've got one more pathfinding bug to look into before the end of the day

[17:07] Andrew Linden: so I'm going to go get that done

[17:07] Andrew Linden: Thanks for coming everyone.

[17:07] Moundsa Mayo: Andrew, Simon, Baker, thanks 1E9 for your time and hard work!

[17:07] Rex Cronon: good luck bug fixing andrew:)

[17:07] Motor Loon: Thanks for having us, despite you should have known better by now

[17:07] Nalates Urriah: Thx Andrew

[17:07] Jack42 Meredith: ok thank you again Andrew :)

[17:07] Simon Linden: Thanks everyone for coming today

[17:07] Jack42 Meredith: ty simon :)

[17:07] DrFran Babcock: thanks for your commitment to SL

[17:07] Ardy Lay: Whew. Took a coupls hundred snapshots and managed to get two with the deformed hair in it.

[17:07] Rex Cronon: tc simon

[17:08] Moundsa Mayo: Anyone wants link to hybrid motor tests made some years ago IM me.

[17:08] Moundsa Mayo: (Once I dig it out of old machine)

[17:08] DrFran Babcock wants a narrowboat printed in 3D

[17:08] Baker Linden: Thanks for coming everyone. Have a fantastic weekend!

[17:08] DrFran Babcock: you, too

[17:08] Rex Cronon: tc baker

[17:08] MartinRJ: goodbye all



Simulator_User_Group

Prev 2012.07.17 Next 2012.07.24