Snowstorm Sprint Retrospective Archive
Snowstorm Sprint 7 Retrospective
Date: Mon Nov 15, 2010
- Time track work better though we still need to do a better job
- Got traction on "big" items, not just bug fixes
- We're doing a good job with small things but not that good with bigger ones. My own experience shows that 2 weeks is to short to design/socialize/review/code/iterate on anything.
- Time and work load not used consistently, so the burn rate and dashboard cannot be trusted. Please update the work spent and remaining time!
- We still need a way to pick patches from community faster
- group communication worked extremely well
- made lots of progress communicating with community
- handled several integration & beta release minor crises and not have it disrupt everything we’re doing
- trouble focusing on coding tasks
- time is too fragmented
- need a way to take quick & easy patches - use RB & has proposal for fast path
Esbee had nothing good to say.
- Need to stagger design and development across sprints. (IE. Prim alignment, Keyboard Shortcuts, etc.)
- On a case by case basis, I think we need to consider creating project branches for stories we pick up so we don't have non-functional code sitting in viewer-development.
We can determine this during sprint planning by marking tickets for which we want to create a project viewer.
- beginning of sprint - not enough work - end of sprint - not enough time
Boroondas Gupte: Where communication went a bit wrong (I'm partly to blame about that myself, I guess) is VWR-23826 . WolfPup asked me to test the STORM-102 branch, where I noticed that. I've asked Oz what info would be needed from me to fix this before it hits viewer-dev, but I still don't know what I have to provide.
- this issue is not lost and will be included in the next sprint.
Improvement & action plan:
- doing things in the open takes more time
- Sprint 8 will be a 3-week sprint. At the end we will review and consider whether to keep this going forward.
- still need to stagger design & socialization work so we have enough at the beginning of a sprint
Update dashboard daily so we can use results
- give ourselves credit for what we do, and give ourselves data for better analysis.
- grumpity to follow up personal tracking in jira
- add merge monkey task in jira and assign back & forth during sprint
- beta build task
- best practices sharing.
- oz to propose a proposal for quick updates
Project viewer for larger changes
- named branch in a forked repo? Fork?
- project viewer before merging back into viewer-dev
- code review
- product owner review