The word ALT may indeed be an abbreviation for alternate account but it is generally accepted to mean the avatar that has been made in an alternate account. Should this be corrected here?—The preceding unsigned comment was added on 15:24, 12 March 2009 by Jos Ling
- Hm... something like "Avatar belonging to an Alternate Account"? Lynch (talk|contribs) 15:33, 12 March 2009 (UTC)
- Thinking about it further, I'm not sure if it's right. I think that avatar means the physical appearance inworld. So you can change your avatar from a tiny to a dragon to a human to a neko... and it still remains the same alt. I would use the word only connected to the name (account) rather than to the appearance. When someone changes the appearance at the same account, I wouldn't say that it is someones alt. But maybe that's just my definition?
- Lynch (talk|contribs) 15:39, 12 March 2009 (UTC)
Acronyms versus Abbreviations
The listing here is of abbreviations and not acronyms. An acronym is one form of abbreviation but so are "intialisms" and "contractions." It would be more accurate for this page to be called Abbreviations. -- Sigmund Leominster 22:10, 3 August 2011 (PDT)
- You are right. If wanted, I can move the page.
- --Boroondas Gupte 11:29, 5 August 2011 (PDT)