User:Gnome Inkpen/Tips and Tricks!
From Second Life Wiki
Tips & Tricks!
Over time I have had a lot of questions about Second Life, so I have compiled a list of most common questions I get. But please if you don't understand whats written HEARE or need some extra help, Shoot me an IM, dude. :D
- Is your avatars skin have parts of what looks like the Second Life user interface on it? Or parts of your HUD attachments?
On Windows use Ctrl > Alt > R and on Mac use Cmd > Opt > R - this will "Rebake Character Textures", which means it will basically re-render (aka: get rid of those annoying, images and textures from your avatar) your avatar apperance, which will remove those textures from your avatar.
In-World Audio Problems
- Are you having problems hearing in-world audio streams?
In the bar to the right of the chat bar, you will see the play and stop muse/sound buttons. Simply toggle them, in an on/off/on/off fasion (play/stop/play/stop). This will correct the problem. If not, then you may (assuming you are the land owner or can change these settings) need to change the Music/Media settings.
Text Chat and Voice Hearing Distance
- How far away from my avatar can people hear me? (on voice, text chat and shouting)
People can hear you from up to 20m (text chat, and depending on settings voice chat as well) away for normal chatting, 100m for shouts.
How to tell where you are
- Where am I?
Where you are is determined by looking at the top bar of the Second Life Viewer, lets say you are currently in "Help Island" you will see "Help Island Public xx, xx, xx (PG) - Help Island Public"
- First part "Help Island Public" is the sim/region name. - xx, xx, xx is the coordinates of your exact location of that given sim/region and will look something like this "61, 243, 22". - Second part "Help Island Public" is the land/parcel name. This name can be changed at anytime, unlike a sim/region name which is permanent.
Users are causing problems
- I keep getting pushed, and walked into by other users. What do/can I do?
First, letz explain what this is. Most residents/users of Second Life call these people griefers. Griefers are users who cause just that: grief. Griefers can range from users who simply push you around, to hacking accountz, and stealing Linden dollars (L$).
Simple sit on an object, and BAM! griefer be-gone. :D
Right click an object and select, "Sit".
Why cant I fly higher then 300 meters?
- Why is it that I can only get to 300 meters in the air?
300 Meters is the limit, but there are two ways to get around this.
- On Windows hold down Ctrl > Alt > V and on Mac hold down Cmd > Opt > V. This will enable to admin menu. Allowing you to fly above this distance.
- Second Option is to use whats known as a Flight Feather or Flight Helper. IM me fore WON! I'll dig one up for you to try. :D
How do I go to different locations
- How do I go to other Second Life Areas?
Going to another Second Life Area (referred to as SIMs or Regions) is as simple as "Teleporting".
- Teleport using landmarks found in > Inventory > Landmarks. - Teleport using Teleport requests from other users. - Teleport using the map. - Teleport by using search.
Selection beam/arm thinger animation? BE GONE!
HATE tha selection beam/arm moving animation? Whenever you edit an object. Some people LOVE it, some people hate it. SOME people like me, don't really care. BUT whoever you are. It'z good to know how to turn this off!
Within the official Linden Lab Viewer, you won't be able to turn it off (I think? LET me know if I be WRWANG!). And letz make it easy, by using a third party viewer that doez this for you! Emerald Viewer, is a good choice, and one that I recommend. It can be found HEARE. Simply go into Edit > Preferences > Emerald > Shields > and uncheck "Broadcast viewer effects", and "Broadcast pointer target". AND PRESTO! Arm animation THANG be-gone!
OH and wild WACKY and HAPPEH pink top HATz off too Eme Capalini, for asking me about thiz, letting me answer wrong several timez, and in the end learn SOMETHIN' NEW. YAYZERAMA! THX! :D