From Second Life Wiki
Please don't hold me responsible if using my replacement XUI files results in something nasty happening, I don't post them unless they work for me.
- These instructions should allow you to preview the replacement XUI file without overwriting the original.
- Save a copy of the replacement XUI code to disk
- If the Client/Server menus aren't visible, press [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [ D ].
- Client > XUI > Load from XML
- Locate and select the file you saved
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\SecondLife\skins\xui\
- Open the folder for the language in question
- Make a duplicate of the file you're replacing (in the unlikely event something goes poof)
- Open the file you're replacing
- Copy & paste the code from the Wiki article for the file in question, replacing all code that was there originally
- Restart SL
Mac OS X
- Use the Finder to navigate to wherever you placed the Second Life bundle
- Control-click on Second Life and select "Show Package Contents" from the menu
- In the new Finder window, navigate to Contents/Resources/skins/xui/
- Open the folder for the appropiate language, using a text editor
- Make a copy of the file you're replacing, in case something goes wrong
- Copy and paste the code from the Wiki article for the file, replacing its previous contents
- Restart SL
- Navigate to where you unpacked Second Life. eg. /home/talia/Games/SecondLife_i686_1_19_1_4 (this will be where the "secondlife" file is.)
- Go into skins/xui and then the language directory you need.
- Backup the files you will be replacing.
- Open the original of the file/s you want to replace and paste in the code from the wiki replacing all the original code.
- Restart SL :P
The XUI files I've tweaked are listed here.
- floater_avatar_picker.xml - "Resident" not "Person".
- floater_groups.xml - Makes the group window resizeable, and bigger by default.
- floater_html_help.xml - Replaces HTML Help with Harry Linden's Google Co-op search.
- floater_instant_message.xml - Help Request opening message tweak.
- floater_land_holdings.xml - the World > My Land window, improved for easier reading.
- floater_mute.xml - capitalisation correction, it's "Resident" not "resident".