User talk:Carl Linden
Hi Carl! :)
I noticed that you redirected Knowledge Base/en to Knowledge Base. I'm curious: Are there external sites/applications pointing to the wiki which require a /en subpage to redirect to the English one? Since it's not current practice to create these (see Project:Languages). Just non-English pages use these redirects atm. Can you elaborate on this?
Cheers, (talk|contribs) 23:51, 30 January 2010 (UTC)
- Hi Zai,
- Upon looking through how the navbar on our various web properties links to the Knowledge Base, it occurred to me that it might be linking to http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Knowledge_Base/<language code> in select places, due to its ignorance of the fact that en is the default language. My redirect was done to avoid any unpleasant links to Knowledge_Base/en if that was happening.
- Is there a specific reason why this is not part of the Language project plan? I can see no reason why a redirect from en to the base page would be detrimental, except for the case of multiple URLs for the same page. (But that's what 301 redirects are for). Carl Linden 23:53, 1 February 2010 (UTC)
- Hi Carl,
- Thanks for the response! :)
- Ah I see... Had a hunch that it might be something like that.
- I don't think that such redirects would be detrimental. At least I can't spot a part in the code of Template:Multi-lang that would suffer from such a subpage. I think the reason why we didn't create these was, that they weren't required in the infrastructure we had so far. To keep the steps for new pages simple and to avoid unnecessary bloat.
- Your edit just made me ponder if there are more potentially broken links out there. If there are parts of secondlife.com which are directly linking to KB articles, rather than the KB main page and if they might suffer from the same illness. Like Animation Guide/en instead of Animation Guide.
- I hope there are no automatically created links of that kind, since it's not even ensured that tier-1 languages got a localized (and therfor linkable) counterpart to each KB article...
- It wouldn't be too hard for me to add name/en redirects to all KB articles via an automated process, but I don't want to add bloat in case it's not necessary.
- What do you think?
- -- (talk|contribs) 01:09, 2 February 2010 (UTC)