Jump to navigation Jump to search
Support Use Cases
This is currently a stub for at least the following kinds of use cases.
Adding a help facility to objects
Use Case: Upgrading existing sold objects
- Creator needs to change the behavior of all instances of a particular version of a scripted object throughout SL due to discovering a bug, changes to SL, or desire to upgrade functionality.
- Creator uses the development tools to build the updated version of the scripts and possibly linked objects.
- Creator publishes the updates to the Grid aimed at a particular object (which probably consists of many prims).
- Owners of the upgraded objects are notified of the offered upgrade through some trigger (object use, owner login, etc.).
- Upgrade notification can be chosen immediately, later or never at the owner's option.
- Upgrading objects is limited to the creator or a designated 3rd proxy.
- It would be very useful to be able to test the upgrade process offline.
- This probably requires something like a second UUID to identify the object in addition to the UUID specifying the object instance.
- Some kind of persistent upgrade list would need to be attached dynamically to existing instances of the target object so user's could update at a later time.