Hippotropolis Theater Design Competition
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Linden Lab Open Source Program is sponsoring a Design/Build Competition to create a replacement for the Hippotropolis TheaterD.
The objective is to create a meeting space for the Second Life Open Source Community that is functional and a showpiece of Second Life design.
All entries remain the property of their creators however Linden Lab will retain one copy of each winning design.
The winner(s) will receive the prize amount -- see details below.
The design must:
- Be primarily constructed as a Mesh model (prim components are allowed)
- Fit on the existing site (the current build is approximately 20m square)
- Have a Land Impact of 250 or less
- Comfortably accommodate groups of 15 to 35 meeting participants
- Provide for presentations using shared media
- Not incorporate any advertising or logos
The following are not absolute requirements, but are positive factors:
- Participants should be able to comfortably see one another and any presentation from the perspective of their avatar without extensive camera adjustments
- Provision for non-human avatars and avatars both above and below the normal human size range
Entries will be judged and winners selected by a panel of 5 judges: 2 Lindens and 3 Residents from the open source viewer development community.
- Each contest participant may enter only one design
- A Resident who wishes to enter a design should contact Oz Linden either using inworld messages or email before April 2, 2012
- Each entrant will be assigned the use of a 25m square parcel for the duration of the contest on which to construct the entry
- Linden Lab will upload mesh model files on behalf of the entrant upon request
- Each entry must be completed by April 4, 2012 and will remain on view for public comment until the judges select the winners on April 11, 2012
- The design selected to replace the existing Hippotropolis Theater wins the grand prize of L$5,000
- Up to 3 additional designs may be awarded Honorable Mention prizes of L$1,000 each
- The winners will be notified on April 11, 2012 via in-world chat
- The L$ prize will be deposited into the winner’s Second Life account by end of day April 12, 2012
Legal Fine Print:
- The Design/Build Competition (the "Contest") is open to all Second Life® Residents ("Residents") in good standing, 16 and older as of the start of the Contest. Residents of embargoed countries, countries where such contests are not legal or where access to the Second Life world has been blocked or disabled, as well as Employees and affiliates of Linden Research, Inc. ("Linden Lab"), the judges, and their families are not eligible to participate. Contest void where prohibited. Subject to all international, federal, state and local laws. No purchase is necessary to enter and win.
- Total Linden Dollars (L$) awarded as prizes: L$5,000 to be awarded to one (1) Resident as top winner and up to three (3) awards in the amount of L$1000 for runners up. There is no promise or guarantee of redemption of any or all L$ awarded. Only one prize per Resident is allowed.
- Prize distribution:
- Gifts will be awarded by Linden Lab via email, inworld or by mail. Linden Lab will notify winners by mail, in-world or e-mail of procedures for redeeming prize. The prizes must be accepted as awarded and cannot be exchanged for cash or credit. Winners who do not wish to accept the prize as offered may opt to forfeit the prize. There will be no substitutions. Linden Lab reserves that right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any entry that does not comply with the Second Life Community Standards or Community Participation Guidelines.
- All applicable federal, state, and local tax laws apply, and winners are responsible for paying their own taxes. For winners who are legal residents of the United States, the Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") requires Form 1099-MISC to be issued and filed with the IRS for each recipient of a prize who is a resident of the United States if the value of that prize is at least $600. Reporting and payment of any applicable federal, state, and local taxes is the sole responsibility of prize winner.
- By submitting an entry, entrant grants Linden Lab a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license to use his/her name, avatar, voice, and likeness, and any materials submitted by entrant to Linden Lab, in connection with this contest, and entrants waive any and all claims and/or rights to receive any royalties or other compensation for the Linden Lab's use thereof, unless prohibited by law. Winners may be required to complete, sign, notarize and return an affidavit of eligibility/liability release and a publicity release, which must be returned, properly executed, within five (5) days of issuance of prize notification.
- All prizes are subject to the Second Life Terms of Service and Second Life Community Standards. Any violation of the Second Life Terms of Service or Second Life Community Standards may result in the forfeiture of the prize, at any time.