User talk:Zai Lynch
Welcome to my discussion page =)
If you want to leave a comment / start a discussion, please operate as follows:
- Press the edit button on top of the page.
- Scroll down and start a new topic using: == Name of the topic ==
- Write what you want me to know and then sign it with four tildes: ~~~~ (or the signature button ). These will automatically be converted into your username and a timestamp.
- Preview the page and save it if you're comfortable with it. Make sure to click the "Watch this page" button 'cause i'll answer your question / discuss your topic in here so everyone can follow the discussion and don't have to click from one talk page to the next to be able to keep track.
- If you want to answer to a persons posting you can scroll behind the posting, hit enter to start a new line and begin it with a colon. It will be displayed as an intended line then.
- If you want to answer to an answer, please write multiple colons in the beginning of the line.
- If I made a contribution at your discussion page, please answer there. I'll surely read it.
- Happy editing :-)
Error creating thumbnail: convert-im6.q16: delegate failed `'rsvg-convert' -o '%o' '%i'' @ error/delegate.c/InvokeDelegate/1928. convert-im6.q16: unable to open file `/tmp/magick-27482fs3nifazyCxg': No such file or directory @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/600. convert-im6.q16: no images defined `PNG:/tmp/transform_bcc6ba57b0a0.png' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3258.
Old comments and discussions are archived since this page was growing to large. In case you'd like to reply to one of the archived discussions, please open a new topic here and name it: Re:Name of the old discussion.
Awhile ago, you used bot magic to replace "SLURL" with "SLurl". I've been requested to make sure this is consistent on LLO articles — do you have a list of articles where you found matches but were unable to change them? I did a few manually. - on 2009-11-23 @ 1:47 PM Pacific
- I don't have one at the moment, but it's rather simple to get it :-) Check back in an hour ^_^ -- (talk|contribs) 22:22, 23 November 2009 (UTC)
- Not much to do for you. In LLO, there are only Linden Lab Official:What is Second Life Answers? and Linden Lab Official:Who are Lindens? which are still listing SLURL. Besides that there's only How do I use the World Map? where it refers to the current viewer's UI. I guess that one should stay until the UI is changed. Furthermore besides that, there are only image links within Using Second Life URLs (SLurls) which might probably stay as well, since the image links aren't visible for the common reader.
- These are all appearances within Category:Knowledge Base. Might very well be that there are some elsewhere... -- (talk|contribs) 22:35, 23 November 2009 (UTC)
- P.S.: Maybe you can edit this old blog post since it's beeing linked within the KB. -- (talk|contribs) 22:39, 23 November 2009 (UTC)
- Sorry I didn't change these earlier! I like how I get an alert on-Wiki when my talk page is edited, but do you know if we can get alerts if I get responded to, like this? Anyway, on it now... and oh, we're trying to free ourselves from blog linking dependencies for help articles, so whenever I can make a Wiki page out of an article, we should do that. I'll find-and-replace that ol' TotW tho... oh wait, rats, an unexpected error keeps happening. But as long as we keep Wiki instances correct, that should be fine. - on 2009-12-09 @ 6:14 AM Pacific
- NP :-)
- Hm... you mean something likesubscribe article (e.g. watchlist → mail), though I'll dig a little deeper and see what I can find. So far, I only found the LiquidThreads extension that would allow to subscribe to certain discussions. But I'm not sure if it offers on-Wiki alerts or also "just" mail. And it's developed for MW 1.16, while we're currently on 1.14.1. ? ...Not that I knew of. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. AFAIK there are only the options named in the
- -- (talk|contribs) 15:38, 9 December 2009 (UTC)
KB and Help Portal sortage
So herein is a dilemma: I'm thankful for all the categorization you've done with the Help Portal, LONG before the KB ever lived on the Wiki. Now that we're transitioning, I've removed the Help Portal bar and put KBmaster on assorted articles. BUT, I don't want to be inconsiderate and am concerned if that may remove vital entries, like rez. What are your thoughts on this? - on 2009-11-23 @ 11:51 AM Pacific
- Hmm... I got to say that I'm not too worried about the header since I got an unproven feeling that the bar itself is hardly used. I might back that up by using tr.im-ed URLs in the header for a week or two, in order to see how often these are clicked. I think that most people will still travel from article to article either via the search or via links within articles, rather than via categories. But as I said, it's just a feeling.
- However, I'm not sure about the future of the help categories... Stuff like Category:Help/Land will probably be overshadowed by Category:Land soon and slowly fade away while articles become merged. So in the long run, the Help Header will become useless anyway since most categories won't hold a meaningful amount of articles anymore. And the Help Portal should probably be redirected to the KB at that point. Category:Glossary seems to be the only category that might remain in the end and it's items (like rez) can probably be linked within related articles when the terminology is used. And in case that is really the only category that remains, one might even create a template for glossary articles, having a certain recognizable style and linking to the category again. I'm not afraid that they'll die out since they're (and might probably remain) an integral part of SL.
- -- (talk|contribs) 22:22, 23 November 2009 (UTC)
Hey Zai, the Knowledge Base isn't meant to cover unsupported stuff, as useful as it may be (like Rebaking textures). I encourage simply linking to the Advanced page instead of typing the keystroke each time to activate, so that Residents are well-apprised of its benefits AND what they should NOT expect. =) - Torley on 2009-11-02 @ 3:38 PM PST
- Ah, ok, NP. :-)
- BTW: Something weird happened to the article... I made my edit and validated it. Then you made your edit and validated it.
- Expected would be, that it shows your version as default (stable) and that there is no draft anymore since yours was the latest edit.
- However, it is showing yours as default and mine as draft. This is a little strange. It might be that we were both editing at the same time and that this was causing it. I'll fix it in a few, but wanted to mention it, since it's unexpected and may lead to unwanted outcome in the future, when it's unnoticed. (An editor editing your stable page will automatically be prompted to my draft. This isn't desired behaviour.)
- More BTW: I'd like to incorporate parts of User:Lum Pfohl/Troubleshooting#Avatar Covered With Onscreen Textures in the article (she mentioned to be fine with using her content in other articles). Also an explanation about how baking works, since it's often mentioned by Residents that "it can't be my system, since other people are seeing it too!". They need to understand that their system is not just baking but also distributing the textures. It seems to be technical overkill but when they don't understand that part, then they might dismiss the article and search for another, since they might think that it's not covering their problem.
- And something completly different: When moving pages to a new spot, please move them including all subpages (I think there should always be a checkbox for that). Reason is, to not bury the redirects to translated pages (e.g. <pagename>/de, <pagename>/fr, etc.).
- Hm... I think that was all for the moment. And I should go to bed ^^
- -- (talk|contribs) 00:05, 3 November 2009 (UTC)
- I see I didn't look to closely and what you added meanwhile. The sentence "These defects are visible to other people..." might be enough for the above mentioned problem.
- -- (talk|contribs) 00:24, 3 November 2009 (UTC)
- I forgot about moving subpages a few times, I'm sorry, and understand! I've been doing it since then.
- As usual, you and Lum are free to improve Rebaking textures or anything else you go, "There's an important point or two here that will help someone to understand a technical concept far better!" This is especially true for Advanced features, even if we don't support 'em. - on 2009-11-23 @ 11:49 AM Pacific
Strife and Zai, Just a note to ask if you can keep an eye on User_talk:Soft_Linden#sensor_caveat, I noticed that it's linked at least twice on Sensor and quite possibly a few other places (unfortunately there's no what links here for header anchors) so if Soft archives the discussion it will break a bunch of links. I'm not about to go on Soft's talk page and ask him not to ever archive a discussion but since you two keep a very close eye on anything that changes anywhere on the wiki I figured you might see if it's ever disturbed. Thanks. GW (T|C) -- 15:03, 8 November 2009 (UTC)
- Heyas! :-)
- Sure thing. As Strife said, maybe it's best to turn these into version links. Will do that in a minute :-)
- -- (talk|contribs) 00:14, 9 November 2009 (UTC)
Just a quick question
Hi Zai, I was wondering if I empty this page, will something be broke? Or does the redirect just happen automatically when a page is moved so that I can just clean it up? --Torben Trautman 16:50, 19 November 2009 (UTC)
Und ich habe keine Ahnung, warum ich auf englisch frage... --Torben Trautman 16:52, 19 November 2009 (UTC)
- lol ^^
- ganz kurze Antwort, weil ich schnell los muss zu 'ner Verabredung ^^:
- Japp, der Redirect wird beim Verschieben automatisch erstellt und nein, geht nix kaputt, wenn du aufräumst :D
- *hugz* -- (talk|contribs) 16:54, 19 November 2009 (UTC)
Hello Zai. I saw your change to the template. Very good, I wish I'd thought of it. Thank you. :-) Orange Planer 23:54, 4 December 2009 (UTC)
I took your idea and style and made my own chat box on my page and i made an object inventory thingy :P
--(talk) 08:39, 29 May 2010 (UTC)
Zai, I know you're busy with other stuff these days, but I wanted to let you know that we weren't able to fix the issue with default breadcrumbs, and decided not to hold up the wiki move because of it or a couple other issues... I have noted this issue in Second Life Wiki Known Issues, and I hope we can resolve it, but to be honest I don't currently have an idea of why it is happening. I believe it may be related to caching, but am not sure. The problem occurred when the developers made a change to the Breadcrumbs extension that improved performance by an order of magnitude, so it seemed worthwhile keeping it. We'll keep looking at it to try to fix it. If you have any suggestions, we would greatly appreciate your insight.
Thanks, --Rand Linden 00:04, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
- Hi Rand,
- Thanks for the heads-up! I don't know when I'll find time, though I'll investigate and will let you know when I find the cause / a work-around.
- Cheers :)
- -- (talk|contribs) 00:50, 17 December 2010 (UTC)
... If there were a comment, i'd respond with something like... "... yeah ...". If I want to talk to someone at the Lab about a project to encourage community involvement and improve wiki content, who should I talk to? I has an ebil idea that will probably work. -- Strife (talk|contribs) 09:10, 28 December 2010 (UTC)
- Hi Strife :)
- I made a mistake with my comment and removed it again once I figured out what was going wrong ^^
- I assumed that you said that you wouldn't have been aware of the Requested LSL Articles article and became curious about it, as you were the initial creator. But later I realized that you were talking about the llList2Float article, so I removed the comment again. I just now notice, that you've been the original creator of that one as well ^^ hm ...
- @Community involvement: Probably a DocTeam office hour or a mail to Torley via the contact form, In case it's not related to translations. In case it's about translations, then an email to Lexie :)
- At least that's what I think. I'm not really up-to-date anymore...
- BTW: Do you still get notification emails when your talkpage was changed? I got the feeling that the feature is broken, ever since the wiki-update ...
- -- (talk|contribs) 01:22, 29 December 2010 (UTC)
Reverting the revert
Hey, thanks for editing my page. It only took me four years to respond! I'll rewrite the page, or just remove it entirely, it's a bit old. -Cow Taurog 19:01, 2 August 2013 (PDT)