Beta Server Office Hours/Minutes/2009-10-29

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This meeting was held on October 27nd, 2009


  • Discuss resolution of previous open items.
  • There is a BETA Server Office Hours wiki page now!
    • Updates
  • Releases
    • 1.30.2 - Deployed to Agni
      • Security fix.
    • 1.32.0 - Deployed to Aditi beta.
      • What's new?
    • 1.30.2 is now out on AGNI

Resolved Items

Meeting Minutes

  • Merri Sands had some questions about how to get involved in testing and how simulators work
  • Moon Metty gave an update of SVC-4169


Transcript of Oskar Linden's Beta Server Office Hour for October 27nd, 2009:

[15:00]  Twisted Laws: some people were saying sandbox goguen (pilot runnng 1.32) has been crashing today, you may want to look at its crash logs
[15:00]  Oskar Linden: yay it's 3pm PDT
[15:00]  Jock Bandler: thx oskar
[15:00]  Oskar Linden: lil did you crash sandbox goguen!
[15:00]  Lil Linden: thanks twisted, I'll check it out
[15:00]  Lil Linden looks innocent
[15:00]  Twisted Laws: lol
[15:00]  Lascha Hienrichs: :)
[15:01]  Oskar Linden: how is everybdy today?
[15:01]  Moon Metty: pretty good
[15:01]  Psi Merlin: Hello everyone.
[15:01]  Geo Meek laughs.
[15:01]  Twisted Laws: when we start testing 1.34?
[15:01]  Merri Sands: hi
[15:01]  Oskar Linden: gimme a sec... phone call
[15:01]  Lil Linden: probably a couple weeks, Twisted
[15:02]  Fox Oxbar: heh
[15:02]  Fox Oxbar: "I don't even have skype open o.O"
[15:03]  Geo Meek: do get it you can screen share now
[15:03]  Leyla Linden is Online
[15:04]  Geo Meek: you can show people what sl looks like
[15:04]  Twisted Laws: ?
[15:04]  Geo Meek: if you have skype
[15:04]  Merri Sands: excuse me,but can I ask a question?
[15:04]  Geo Meek: sure
[15:04]  Geo Meek: or please do
[15:04]  Merri Sands: i am new to the test grid and i am exploring.
[15:05]  Geo Meek: do bat we dont use voice here
[15:05]  Geo Meek: =bad
[15:05]  Merri Sands: I have found some areas fail to grant capabilities at various times.could you please explain what this is all about
[15:06]  Geo Meek: sorry i cant
[15:06]  Moon Metty: what capabilities?
[15:06]  Merri Sands: well just that
[15:06]  Oskar Linden: sorry guys
[15:06]  Oskar Linden: I'm back
[15:06]  Opensource Obscure:
[15:06]  Roland Riddler: wb
[15:06]  Geo Meek: i have to google capabilities
[15:07]  Opensource Obscure: by the way: Preview Grid wiki page translated to Italian! woot!
[15:07]  Oskar Linden: stupid harley dealership has had my bike in their 'talented' hands for 3 months now
[15:07]  Merri Sands: when trying to enter lime for instance I get the message"failed to grant capabilities"
[15:07]  Opensource Obscure: EOF
[15:07]  Oskar Linden: and they don't know how to fix it
[15:07]  Oskar Linden: but that's another stopry :-D
[15:07]  Twisted Laws: bummer
[15:07]  Oskar Linden: alright so where are we
[15:07]  Merri Sands: when three weeks ago i could
[15:07]  Oskar Linden: wassup merri?
[15:08]  Merri Sands: I have tried to find the answer to this and thought Oskar might know.
[15:08]  Oskar Linden: hold on merri let me at least try to follow my agenda :-D
[15:08]  Oskar Linden:
[15:08]  Geo Meek: is there any way to make text in text chat larger?
[15:08]  Oskar Linden: item #1 Discuss resolution of previous open items.
[15:08]  Opensource Obscure: Geo: 3nlarg3 you UI from Preferences
[15:08]  Merri Sands: sorry to interrupt.
[15:09]  Geo Meek: thanky
[15:09]  Psi Merlin: I've seen the failed to grant capabilities - blocking access to a region before - essentially the server hosting the region was in a bad way.
[15:09]  Oskar Linden: it's ok merri. i'll answer your qeustions when we get to any other business
[15:09]  Merri Sands: :-)
[15:10]  Oskar Linden: so there are a few open items related to jira's filed
[15:10]  Oskar Linden: this is usually where moon tells me the latest status on them. :-)
[15:10]  Moon Metty: :)
[15:10]  Moon Metty: i asked for a comment on SVC-2327
[15:10]  JIRA-helper:
[#SVC-2327] Mono Beta - recompile selection: llRemoteLoadScriptPin conflict
[15:10]  Moon Metty: because i was working on that other report
[15:11]  Moon Metty: SVC-4895
[15:11]  JIRA-helper:
[#SVC-4895] tools>Recompile Scripts in Selection & Reset Scripts in Selection intermitantly fails to apply to all prims in link set.
[15:11]  Moon Metty: i was asked at a triage to look at it
[15:11]  Moon Metty: but i did all i can do for the moment
[15:11]  Moon Metty: it's nothing shocking
[15:12]  Moon Metty: recompile selection fails sometimes ..
[15:12]  Moon Metty: then you try again, and it works
[15:13]  Ardy Lay: Moon is that similar to linking and unlinking sometimes missing prim(s) well withing linking range?
[15:14]  Moon Metty: well, i think it's just assetserver slowness
[15:14]  Moon Metty: combined with a bit of bad luck
[15:14]  Geo Meek: mix in this and that pppf
[15:14]  Geo Meek: =poof
[15:15]  Ardy Lay: I sometimes experience client <-> server updates failures.
[15:15]  Oskar Linden: moon,do you still need more comments from the developers on SVC-2327 ?
[15:15]  Moon Metty: and the other jira, yes
[15:15]  Oskar Linden: 4895
[15:15]  Yann Dufaux is Online
[15:15]  Moon Metty: notice the difference ... if all scripts are in one object, or each object has its own script
[15:16]  Geo Meek: i have no idea how to use thme things
[15:16]  Moon Metty: i can't explain that
[15:16]  Geo Meek: =them
[15:16]  Ardy Lay: I think what I learned is that even I just need to wait a bit longer after making my selection before I start making changes wo what is selected.
[15:16]  Moon Metty: again it's not extremely important
[15:17]  Moon Metty: hi Yann :)
[15:17]  Geo Meek: i am looking for something that is extremely important
[15:17]  Yann Dufaux: hi hi!! ㋡
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: hey yann
[15:17]  Yann Dufaux: ty Oksar ㋡
[15:17]  Yann Dufaux: how are you? ㋡
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: I don't have anything new about SVC-3044
[15:17]  JIRA-helper:
[#SVC-3044] Debug channel and script error reporting needs a major rethink
[15:18]  Oskar Linden: good yann. we're on here:
[15:18]  Leyla Linden is Offline
[15:18]  Oskar Linden: I asked maestro about svc-4196
[15:18]  JIRA-helper:
[#SVC-4196] Avatar entering sim or rezzing object causes sim to freeze for up to 30  seconds - everything stops for everybody there
[15:18]  Moon Metty: ah ok
[15:18]  Oskar Linden: but I haven't heard back from him yet
[15:18]  Yann Dufaux: hi Moon! ㋡
[15:18]  Yann Dufaux: hello psi and lil ㋡
[15:18]  Geo Meek: ok how do you make the nice smily face?
[15:19]  Oskar Linden: cut and paste :-D
[15:19]  Geo Meek: o ok
[15:19]  Ardy Lay: ☺
[15:19]  Oskar Linden: ㋡㋡㋡㋡㋡㋡㋡㋡㋡㋡
[15:19]  Lil Linden: hallo
[15:19]  Yann Dufaux: loll Oskar ㋡
[15:19]  Psi Merlin: Babbage has been looking at the sim frezze problems - some comments in OH
[15:19]  Geo Meek: ㋡
[15:19]  Yann Dufaux: freez trouble?
[15:20]  Moon Metty: yes, global warming in SL works the other way o_O
[15:20]  Yann Dufaux: i can free lil? lol
[15:20]  Roland Riddler: hehe
[15:20]  Yann Dufaux: freez*
[15:20]  Ardy Lay: Instead of Global Warming we get Regional Freezing.
[15:20]  Lil Linden 's coat protects him from freezing
[15:20]  Moon Metty: lol
[15:20]  Fox Oxbar: lol Ardy
[15:20]  Oskar Linden: it's how we balance the world
[15:21]  Oskar Linden: so many people here today. that's good
[15:21]  Moon Metty: we found something new this week
[15:21]  Oskar Linden: the login page editing thing is still where it was
[15:21]  Moon Metty: ok
[15:21]  sensory Hax: ((greetings all))
[15:22]  Geo Meek: whould love to hear there voices
[15:22]  Oskar Linden: I don't have a status on VWR-2638
[15:22]  JIRA-helper:
[#VWR-2638] Double teleport issue
[15:22]  Oskar Linden: I'll try to ping soft
[15:22]  Oskar Linden: ok then
[15:22]  Oskar Linden: that's open issues
[15:23]  Oskar Linden: updates
[15:23]  Oskar Linden: do you have anything to report Lil?
[15:23]  Oskar Linden: how is the deploy going?
[15:23]  Oskar Linden: he must be busy
[15:23]  Lil Linden: Well, we did the pilot regions (~500 sims) this morning
[15:23]  Oskar Linden: heh
[15:23]  Lil Linden: so far so good :-)
[15:23]  Psi Merlin: Geo - the technical office hour meetings are held in chat for a number of good reasons. Please stop complaining about voice at every meeting you attend.
[15:24]  Geo Meek: i know the old story
[15:24]  Oskar Linden: when will the roll be complete?
[15:24]  Geo Meek: just a bit silly to me if i may say
[15:24]  Oskar Linden: you did say so Geo
[15:24]  Psi Merlin: Snark looks OK on agni after 1.32 - thanks Lil.
[15:24]  Geo Meek: and well keep saying so
[15:25]  Oskar Linden: it would be nice if you didn't Geo
[15:25]  Geo Meek: ㋡
[15:25]  Lil Linden: We start the evens on Wednesday, and the odds on Thursday.. god willing, we'll stick to that plan :-)
[15:25]  Oskar Linden: but whatever right VWR-2638
[15:25]  Oskar Linden: oops
[15:25]  Oskar Linden: heh
[15:25]  Oskar Linden: ㋡
[15:25]  Oskar Linden: ok
[15:26]  Oskar Linden: you guys can ping me on AGNI if you notice issues that you feel are 1.32 related as we do the deploy
[15:26]  Lil Linden: but of course there will be none.. so...
[15:26]  Lil Linden: :-)
[15:26]  Oskar Linden: we also watch the forums and jiras
[15:26]  Moon Metty: :)
[15:26]  Lil Linden: speaking of the forums, I had a questions for y'all.
[15:27]  Lil Linden: I was wondering if it would make sense to suggest on the forums that people interested in the new version drop by here the Thurs before the rolling restart
[15:27]  Moon Metty: the forum or the blog?
[15:27]  Lil Linden: Forums, but the forum is linked to on the blog
[15:27]  Lil Linden: (in the rolling restart posts)
[15:28]  Twisted Laws: thats a logical reminder, lil
[15:28]  Jock Bandler: Okay, i got this. Starting Wed, 4th and Th, 5th for odds
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: oh man is it almost November
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: *sigh*
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: that means it's almost thanksgiving
[15:28]  Lil Linden: which is awesome news.
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: which means it's almost christmas
[15:28]  Moon Metty: lol
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: which means it's almost 2010
[15:28]  Lil Linden: which is also awesome news.
[15:29]  Lil Linden: 2010 is starting to really sound like the future, huh?
[15:29]  Oskar Linden: which means I've got to start thinking about 1.36
[15:29]  Jock Bandler: oh..
[15:29]  Oskar Linden: so Lil you want to invite people from the forums here on the thursday before rolling restarts?
[15:30]  Lil Linden: Yeah, if that won't disrupt the mojo of the group :-)
[15:30]  Oskar Linden: what are they gonna do here?
[15:30]  Moon Metty: why the thursday before the RR?
[15:30]  Oskar Linden: like a Q&A or something?
[15:30]  Lil Linden: ask questions about what's changing
[15:30]  Moon Metty: why not earlier?
[15:31]  Lil Linden: Well, because things aren't finalized until very close to the roll
[15:31]  Ardy Lay: Release Notes Live! With Lil Linden...
[15:31]  Twisted Laws: people will show up trying to stop the restart so their event will not be interrupted.. :p
[15:31]  Moon Metty: yes, but i was just thinking about people who want to test
[15:31]  Lil Linden: haha, you got it Ardy
[15:31]  Moon Metty: and maybe find something
[15:32]  Lil Linden: twisted - if they bring a large enough bribe, I'm ok with that
[15:32]  Oskar Linden: we could do it the Thursday of so that they can't try to explopit all the holes we just fixed
[15:32]  Twisted Laws: :)
[15:32]  Oskar Linden: >:-D
[15:32]  Moon Metty: lol yes
[15:32]  Lil Linden: you mean immediately after the roll is done?
[15:33]  Oskar Linden: yeah :-)
[15:33]  Oskar Linden: hey, guess what we just did?
[15:33]  Psi Merlin: As long as they are interested in the deploy - unfortunatly the forum fill with the usual rants about the grid for every RR topic. I hope that doesn't extend to here.
[15:33]  Lil Linden: +10000 psi
[15:33]  Lil Linden: it's painful to read the forums :-)
[15:33]  Lil Linden: but there are some good people that post there
[15:34]  Oskar Linden: I'd be happy to not have a huge influx here
[15:34]  Ardy Lay: Lil just wants some of them in "beating stick range".
[15:34]  Oskar Linden: but we should certainly mention in the forums that ADITI si where to look at this stuff early and this is where to talk about it
[15:34]  Moon Metty: yeah, that's it
[15:35]  Lil Linden: I'll drop a small hint in the 1.34 post and we'll see what happens
[15:35]  Oskar Linden: kind of like "Hey! We're doing a RR. If you want to see what is coming up next go to ADITI and joing the beta group"
[15:35]  Lil Linden: the hint will lead them to a random sim with a box, containing a notecard with another hint...
[15:35]  Lil Linden: and so on.
[15:35]  Ardy Lay: HEhe
[15:35]  Oskar Linden: haha
[15:35]  Moon Metty: :)
[15:35]  Ardy Lay: Run them through Snark
[15:36]  Oskar Linden: and finally a golden nugget with all of Oskar Lindens private objects full perms
[15:36]  Oskar Linden: :-(
[15:36]  Lil Linden: heh
[15:36]  Ardy Lay: Ouch
[15:36]  Oskar Linden: anyways...
[15:36]  Oskar Linden: ok
[15:36]  Oskar Linden: so on to any other business
[15:36]  Moon Metty: yeah
[15:36]  Moon Metty: last sunday wintertime went in, in europe
[15:36]  Oskar Linden: Merri?
[15:36]  Oskar Linden: you're up first
[15:36]  Moon Metty: and we saw an unusually high number of svc-4169
[15:36]  JIRA-helper:
[#SVC-4169] missing groups, unable to tp, tried everything
[15:37]  Merri Sands: thank you
[15:37]  Oskar Linden: then moon :-)
[15:37]  Moon Metty: as it turns out, people who have their computer clock set wrong get that problem
[15:37]  Oskar Linden: oh
[15:37]  Moon Metty: it has to do with the secure login server
[15:37]  Moon Metty: so they can log in, but not fully
[15:38]  Moon Metty: sorry Merri
[15:38]  Merri Sands: I am just a simple designer using the test grid to upload my textures,but i don't understand the technical issues too well.I would be willing to test things if I could be shown how.
[15:38]  Oskar Linden: ok
[15:39]  Oskar Linden: I would suggest making friends with the people here and asking questions if they have time
[15:39]  Merri Sands: i am always willing to pull my weight and contribute where possible.
[15:39]  Psi Merlin Smiles at Ardy
[15:39]  Oskar Linden: we do have test plans available for public usage on the wiki page
[15:39]  Oskar Linden: often it helps for content creators to test their stuff here just like you would on AGNI
[15:39]  Oskar Linden: you'll be the first to know if something isn't working
[15:39]  Merri Sands: My question,if i may reiterate,is concerning the message"failed to grant capabilities".
[15:40]  Oskar Linden: please explain
[15:40]  Oskar Linden: /tab test
[15:40]  Oskar Linden: your thing doesn't work yann
[15:40]  Oskar Linden: I can't cahnge your text
[15:40]  Richard Linden is Online
[15:41]  Fox Oxbar: heh
[15:41]  Merri Sands: Certain regions,when i try to enter them put up an error message"failed to grant capabilities" and do not allow entry.
[15:41]  Oskar Linden: has anyone seen that before?
[15:41]  Merri Sands: what is happening here?
[15:41]  Lil Linden: merri - is this on Aditi or Agni?
[15:41]  Merri Sands: aditi
[15:42]  Psi Merlin: It happened on Snark some time ago Oskar - Vek took a look
[15:42]  Lil Linden: I've seen it before, when I broke some stuff on a sim :-)
[15:42]  Oskar Linden: there are a lot of things going on concurrently on ADITI
[15:42]  Fox Oxbar: I belive I've seen it before, but if I have, it was only once or twice; can't remember the circumstances
[15:42]  Merri Sands: I was using the mansion on lime as a backdrop for some shoots(I hope this was ok) but now i cannot enter.
[15:42]  Psi Merlin: Region restart didn't clear it, the server host was having a bad day
[15:43]  Merri Sands: It has been like that for about 3 weeks now.
[15:43]  Psi Merlin: The region being locked to the server here (I think)
[15:43]  Merri Sands: I just hope I didn't cause it.....
[15:43]  Merri Sands: paranoia
[15:43]  Moon Metty: hehehe
[15:43]  Lil Linden: merri - you wouldn't be able to do that without serious effort
[15:43]  Merri Sands: phew
[15:44]  Lil Linden: I'll try going over there later
[15:44]  Merri Sands: Will it come back and be available soon?
[15:44]  Oskar Linden: look slike lime has an off version lil
[15:44]  Merri Sands: do you know?
[15:44]  Lil Linden: you might also want to try a new viewer
[15:44]  Lil Linden: huh, yeah, lime does have a weird version
[15:44]  Merri Sands: where do I download that?
[15:45]  Ardy Lay:
[15:45]  Lil Linden: thanks ardy
[15:45]  Merri Sands: sorry to be so dumb about this stuff
[15:45]  Oskar Linden: it just looks like lime has a sifferent setup on it right now merri
[15:46]  Oskar Linden: it's probably not a good idea to expect to use ADITI for anything time sensitive in a production manner
[15:46]  Oskar Linden: this is a good example of that
[15:46]  Merri Sands: Thanks
[15:46]  Oskar Linden: np
[15:46]  Oskar Linden: ok moon
[15:46]  Oskar Linden: you were tlaking about SVC-4169
[15:46]  Lil Linden: yeah, I think the sim lime is on is jacked up
[15:46]  Lil Linden: (technical term)
[15:46]  Moon Metty: yes, the missing group bug
[15:47]  Oskar Linden: 'jacked up' means SNAFU
[15:47]  Merri Sands: also some of my things have gone missing from the database in aditi
[15:47]  Jock Bandler: Thank you Ardy
[15:47]  Moon Metty: it was an enigma for some time
[15:47]  Merri Sands: oops
[15:47]  Psi Merlin: please ask questions Merri - we are all here to learn and the only silly question is the one you didn't ask.
[15:47]  Merri Sands: sorry
[15:47]  Oskar Linden: so SVC-4169 is figured out
[15:47]  Moon Metty: but now we know the system clock of the user is a factor :)
[15:47]  Lil Linden: +1 psi
[15:47]  Moon Metty: we don't know if it covers all cases
[15:47]  Moon Metty: so if someone could have a look at that, please
[15:48]  Ardy Lay: Would be a good idea to make sure support people know what was found there.
[15:48]  Moon Metty: i think Ella did that already
[15:48]  Moon Metty: i will ask
[15:49]  Oskar Linden: that's a cool find Moon
[15:49]  Moon Metty: yeah :)
[15:49]  Psi Merlin: The european clock changed last weekend which could be a factor.
[15:49]  Oskar Linden: and on THAT topic
[15:49]  Moon Metty: yep
[15:49]  Oskar Linden: US clocks change this weekend
[15:50]  Fox Oxbar: extra hour of sleep :)
[15:50]  Oskar Linden: you know what guys, I might have to cut this meeting short
[15:50]  Psi Merlin sighs. Pity the grid isn't UTC.
[15:50]  Moon Metty: some people change their system clock to use old or pirated software
[15:50]  Oskar Linden: I have to give an interview in 10 minutes
[15:50]  Ardy Lay: USA Dylight Savings Time ends Sunday, November 1st at 2AM.
[15:50]  Jock Bandler: switched to winter time
[15:50]  Moon Metty: oh?
[15:50]  Jock Bandler: - 1 clock
[15:51]  Oskar Linden: thanks for coming and thanks for your time and input
[15:51]  Oskar Linden: I'll keep you updated on 1.34 ok :-)
[15:51]  Ardy Lay: Interview, find good help.
[15:51]  Jock Bandler: in MEZ now it's 11:51 pm
[15:51]  Oskar Linden: working on it!
[15:51]  Merri Sands: Thank you
[15:51]  Ardy Lay: :-)
[15:51]  Moon Metty: :)
[15:51]  Moon Metty: thanks Oskar and Lil
[15:51]  Oskar Linden: you guys rock and I love hanging out with you
[15:51]  Lil Linden: pleasure as always!
[15:51]  Twisted Laws: thanks and cya
[15:51]  Oskar Linden: good to see some new faces
[15:52]  Psi Merlin: Thanks Oskar / Lil