Beta Server Office Hours/Minutes/2009-12-17

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This meeting was held on December 17th, 2009


  • Discuss resolution of previous open items.
  • Updates
    • Linden Homes is live
  • Releases
  • Any other business
    • Can we look at this: SVC-5156 -- Ella McMahon
    • " a question about Physics - what practical use is there for Disable Physics in Region commands? I mean, is it useful maybe for .. i don't know, conferences with lots of people, to reduce lag? can still people sit on seats, for example?" -- Opensource Obscure

Resolved Items

  • 1.34.1 is released on AGNI
  • VWR-2638 - The Double TP issue is closed.
  • Linden Homes is live!

Meeting Minutes

  • Talked about 1.34.1 and if there are any new issues.
  • Talked about Linden Homes
  • Let the meeting out early


Transcript of Oskar Linden's Beta Server Office Hour for December 17th, 2009:

[15:01]  Psi Merlin: Hi Oskar, Ovaltine
[15:02]  Leyla Linden is Offline
[15:03]  Lil Linden is Online
[15:03]  Oskar Linden: either of you on AGNI right now?
[15:03]  Johan Laurasia: nope
[15:03]  Oskar Linden: care to IM the SL Beta group and let them know we are meeting
[15:03]  Psi Merlin: No
[15:03]  Lil Linden: hooowdy!
[15:03]  Oskar Linden: no problem
[15:04]  Johan Laurasia: Hiya Lil
[15:04]  Oskar Linden: probably gonna be a light meeting today
[15:04]  Psi Merlin: Hello Lil, Hi Johan
[15:04]  Oskar Linden: good to see you all thought :-)
[15:04]  Oskar Linden: hey there's twisted
[15:05]  Oskar Linden: brb
[15:05]  Twisted Laws: snowglobe meeting always runs long... hellos
[15:05]  Yann Dufaux is Online
[15:06]  Yann Dufaux: heya ㋡
[15:06]  Lil Linden: how goes it everyone?
[15:06]  Oskar Linden: hey yann
[15:07]  Yann Dufaux: how are you? ㋡
[15:07]  Oskar Linden: lil and I just had a HUGE meeting
[15:07]  Opensource Obscure: hello everybody!
[15:07]  Opensource Obscure: i'm fine thanks
[15:07]  Opensource Obscure: yay! productive meeting?
[15:07]  Oskar Linden: very
[15:07]  Oskar Linden: he and I went over server branching strategies
[15:07]  Yann Dufaux: ah, now its ok! lol
[15:08]  Yann Dufaux: hi psi, and open ㋡
[15:08]  Lil Linden had a very good nap at said meeting :)
[15:08]  Oskar Linden: let me pull up the agenda
[15:08]  Yann Dufaux: hi lil ㋡
[15:08]  Opensource Obscure: !!
[15:08]  Lil Linden: hi yann
[15:08]  Twisted Laws: haha
[15:08]  Yann Dufaux: psi, have crashed?
[15:08]  Oskar Linden: anyone doing anything for the holidays?
[15:09]  Ovaltine Constantine: Probably working
[15:09]  Johan Laurasia: same here
[15:09]  Twisted Laws: i'm gonna be lazy.... oh wait, i already was...
[15:09]  Opensource Obscure: _ )
[15:09]  Oskar Linden: lazier
[15:09]  Opensource Obscure: oops that was a : )
[15:09]  Yann Dufaux: i don't know my project ㋡
[15:10]  Yann Dufaux: i don't have ㋡
[15:10]  Bao Linden is Online
[15:11]  Oskar Linden: ok
[15:11]  Oskar Linden: here we go:
[15:11]  Oskar Linden: add your stuff to Any Other Business if you have anything
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: I did some looking into the people getting past estate bans
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: anyone know anything more about that>
[15:12]  Opensource Obscure: not personally
[15:12]  Oskar Linden: it looks like Dante has commented on that issue
[15:14]  Oskar Linden: I don't have anything to add on our other open issues
[15:14]  Bao Linden is Offline
[15:15]  Twisted Laws: i've not seen VWR-2638 since we talked about it that one time....
[15:15]  JIRA-helper:
[#VWR-2638] Double teleport issue
[15:15]  Twisted Laws: maybe 4 or 5 weeks
[15:15]  Oskar Linden: I was just gonna ask
[15:15]  Oskar Linden: can you make that comment in the pjira please
[15:15]  Twisted Laws: that was all pre-1.34
[15:15]  Oskar Linden: ok
[15:16]  Oskar Linden: I'll go ahead and close the issue with that note then
[15:16]  Bao Linden is Online
[15:16]  Ovaltine Constantine: BloatedINV Tester?
[15:16]  Twisted Laws: BloatedINV Tester !!!
[15:16]  Twisted Laws: lol
[15:16]  Oskar Linden: where?
[15:16]  Oskar Linden: HEY!
[15:17]  Twisted Laws: nw corner of sim
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: that must be Malek testing with him
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: heh
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: that is one of my alts
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: inv is 250k+
[15:17]  Twisted Laws: dang!
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: inorite
[15:17]  Opensource Obscure: a question about Physics - what practical use is there for Disable Physics in Region commands? I mean, is it useful maybe for .. i don't know, conferences with lots of people, to reduce lag? can still people sit on seats, for example?
[15:17]  Oskar Linden: took a whole weekend to build that up
[15:18]  Oskar Linden: hold that thought until any other business if you can OO
[15:18]  Opensource Obscure: yeah, never dared to use it .. yet
[15:18]  Bao Linden is Offline
[15:19]  Oskar Linden: ok Twisted I just closed that issue
[15:19]  Twisted Laws: cool
[15:20]  Oskar Linden: feel free to re reopen it and let me know if it comes back
[15:20]  Twisted Laws: yeps
[15:20]  Oskar Linden: moving on
[15:20]  Bao Linden is Online
[15:20]  Oskar Linden: Updates
[15:20]  Oskar Linden: Linden Homes is alive and well
[15:20]  Oskar Linden: has anyone gone to check out the new continent?
[15:20]  Oskar Linden: anyone lucky enough to get in on the closed beta?
[15:21]  Twisted Laws: i hear its hard on low graphics systems tho because of how its built
[15:21]  Oskar Linden: I'm sure it is
[15:21]  Oskar Linden: I mean I can see that
[15:21]  Twisted Laws: that may defeat its purpose a little
[15:21]  Oskar Linden: hrm... I'm not so sure
[15:22]  Johan Laurasia: gotta keep up with the times
[15:22]  Oskar Linden: it's something that I will mention to the team though
[15:22]  Oskar Linden: sadly mt alt on his dell mini10v might not be able to use his home then
[15:22]  Twisted Laws:
[15:23]  Johan Laurasia: wow
[15:23]  Oskar Linden: geez. even just that image is taxing my system
[15:23]  Twisted Laws: lol
[15:23]  Oskar Linden: well with a 512 draw distance...
[15:24]  Twisted Laws: her draw range was 512 tho, so maybe normal people won't have tha issue
[15:24]  Johan Laurasia: well, people want better looking stuff, so they have to keep up their end and have the hardware to do it.
[15:24]  Oskar Linden: apparently one high ranking copmany that uses SL a lot was buying a crate of netbooks for all the execs to run SL with and wanted to know what we recommend
[15:25]  Oskar Linden: we recommend not using netbooks for SL
[15:25]  Twisted Laws: lol, yep
[15:25]  Johan Laurasia: no
[15:25]  Twisted Laws: my high-end HP entertainment notebook even has issues here
[15:25]  Johan Laurasia: netbooks are for web and emal
[15:25]  Johan Laurasia: email*
[15:25]  Johan Laurasia: most high end lappys can run SL pretty well
[15:25]  Oskar Linden: yup
[15:26]  Oskar Linden: any laptop without integrated video does decent
[15:26]  Twisted Laws: they get too hot if you use high grafix tho
[15:26]  Oskar Linden: my def of decent may be diff than yours
[15:26]  Oskar Linden: this laptop is 180°F now
[15:26]  Oskar Linden: fans at half max
[15:26]  Johan Laurasia: always have to watch where the laptop is set
[15:27]  Oskar Linden: I have this special cooling lappad thing I use on mine
[15:27]  Oskar Linden: xpad or something
[15:27]  Twisted Laws: i put feet under my laptop... stick on ones from speakers
[15:27]  Oskar Linden: works well
[15:27]  Oskar Linden: ok, so 1.34.1
[15:27]  Oskar Linden: kinda related to linden homes but not really
[15:27]  Oskar Linden: there was a whole pile of crap wanting to get into that
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: just not enough time for QA
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: so we paired the release down to just a few essentials
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: 2 linden homes fixes
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: a content theft bug
[15:28]  Oskar Linden: and a sim crasher
[15:29]  Oskar Linden: are the release notes handy lil?
[15:29]  Twisted Laws: wouldn't it be good to tell about some of the content theft fixes after everything is updated?
[15:29]  Oskar Linden: did you make a public version?
[15:29]  Twisted Laws: would help make some people more comfortable
[15:29]  Oskar Linden: I think the idea twisted is to not give people any mor eideas
[15:30]  Twisted Laws: i can see that too, hmmm
[15:30]  Johan Laurasia: lol, they do well enough on their own
[15:30]  Oskar Linden: this one was some complex combination of attachments and permissions
[15:30]  Oskar Linden: which I think is all I can say
[15:30]  Oskar Linden: which is why when I saw this bug come down the pipe I panicked:
[15:30]  JIRA-helper: [#SVC-5150] self-attaching for scripted objects does not work anymore
[15:31]  Bao Linden is Offline
[15:31]  Oskar Linden: because I thought our content theft bug fix created some new issue we didn't qa well enough
[15:31]  Twisted Laws: maybe in your end of year roll up, tell that x number of content theft fixes implemented or something
[15:31]  Oskar Linden: each server release has had at least one critical content theft bug fixed
[15:32]  Oskar Linden: so that's looking about like 10 or so this year?
[15:32]  Steve Linden is Online
[15:32]  Oskar Linden: maybe a little less
[15:32]  Oskar Linden: did anyone here see this bug?
[15:32]  JIRA-helper: [#SVC-5150] self-attaching for scripted objects does not work anymore
[15:32]  Twisted Laws: i will test that after this meeting
[15:32]  Twisted Laws: i wrote some game for someone years ago that does self attaching
[15:33]  Steve Linden is Offline
[15:33]  Oskar Linden: we were having a hard time reproing it
[15:33]  Oskar Linden: we believe it was somehow tied to a portion of script limits that got live
[15:33]  Oskar Linden: it seems to have ironed itself out, but I was wondering if anyone here had any direct experience with it
[15:34]  Ovaltine Constantine: Makes sense, "Not enough script resources available to attach object"
[15:36]  Oskar Linden: ok
[15:36]  Twisted Laws: haven't seen it
[15:36]  Oskar Linden: anyone see anything nasty in regards to the 1.34.1 roll this week?
[15:37]  Steve Linden is Online
[15:37]  Twisted Laws: seems good to me but i'm usually only in sandboxes
[15:37]  Leyla Linden is Online
[15:37]  Johan Laurasia: heh, I avoid sandboxes like it's the plague
[15:37]  Steve Linden is Offline
[15:37]  Johan Laurasia: I'm anywhere but
[15:38]  Twisted Laws: after a couple years in the sandboxes, the rest of SL is boring :p
[15:38]  Psi Merlin: I haven't seen any issues
[15:38]  Oskar Linden: well that's good
[15:39]  Oskar Linden: lil and I were monitoring crashes and some other metrics and things looked good
[15:39]  Oskar Linden: from our side
[15:39]  Lil Linden knocks on wood
[15:39]  Twisted Laws: seeing a lot more of people holding all the physical objects in sandboxes lately tho :(
[15:40]  Oskar Linden: what do you mean?
[15:40]  Twisted Laws: viewer mods that auto-select all physical objects
[15:41]  Twisted Laws: someone bragging that they could hold them up to 10k away (i doubt)
[15:41]  Oskar Linden: oh right
[15:41]  Lil Linden: heh.. that's annoying
[15:41]  Oskar Linden: I remember an early emerald that used to do that
[15:41]  Twisted Laws: yep
[15:42]  Oskar Linden: made it look like bullet time when you tried to shoot at them
[15:42]  Twisted Laws: lol
[15:42]  Oskar Linden: hrm
[15:42]  Oskar Linden: know which viewer it is?
[15:42]  Ellla McMahon: I haven't seen any particular issues coming up on pJIRA or SL Answers .. some Viewer stuff
[15:43]  Steve Linden is Online
[15:43]  Twisted Laws: no, but it seems to be either a modified emerald or LGG Proxy
[15:43]  Ellla McMahon: and the usual 'connection' issues .. tps, couds, ghosting seem quiet
[15:43]  Oskar Linden: everything is a modified emereald these days :-)
[15:43]  Ellla McMahon: *clouds
[15:43]  Twisted Laws: not my viewer :p
[15:43]  Oskar Linden: :-)
[15:43]  Steve Linden is Offline
[15:44]  Oskar Linden: we have seen a HUGE growth in support issues for people using emerald
[15:44]  Steve Linden is Online
[15:44]  Twisted Laws: i've been trying to be nice and add some of the features to snowglobe tho (not directly from emerald)
[15:44]  Oskar Linden: cool
[15:45]  Oskar Linden: talking about snowglobe makes me miss rob linden
[15:45]  Oskar Linden: *sigh*
[15:45]  Ellla McMahon: but if you haven't got anything to do ... I'd love to know what info is required to investigate :)))
[15:45]  JIRA-helper: [#SVC-5156] Stuttering Motion or 'Walking Upstream in a Molasses River
[15:45]  Twisted Laws: yes
[15:45]  Yann Dufaux: i don't use emrald, but the last emerald is not based on snowglobe?
[15:45]  Twisted Laws: sandboxes are like that all the time ellla
[15:45]  Ellla McMahon: I think there's an Emerald version of Snowglobe
[15:45]  Oskar Linden: and yes we are on the Any Other Business section of the agenda
[15:46]  Oskar Linden: so OO you can ask your question again please
[15:46]  Oskar Linden: Ella I'll try to get SVC-5156 looked at
[15:47]  Johan Laurasia: she said --> a question about Physics - what practical use is there for Disable Physics in Region commands? I mean, is it useful maybe for .. i don't know, conferences with lots of people, to reduce lag? can still people sit on seats, for example?
[15:17] Oskar Linden: took a whole weekend to build that up
[15:47]  Ellla McMahon: yes true Twisted .. (I was sorta joking) .. it'll comeup at Triage eventually :))
[15:47]  Bao Linden is Online
[15:47]  Johan Laurasia: she wanted to know the practical uses for disabling physics basically
[15:47]  Oskar Linden: it can be useful for building things
[15:47]  Oskar Linden: building physical things
[15:48]  Ellla McMahon: I asked more for my interest .. what info would be useful in that issue
[15:48]  Johan Laurasia: heh, know what u mean
[15:48]  Ellla McMahon: but thank you :)
[15:48]  Johan Laurasia: I had a physical object I was working on, and clicked edit linked parts, and selected a part.... bad move
[15:48]  Steve Linden is Offline
[15:48]  Oskar Linden: yup
[15:48]  Oskar Linden: so that's one thing
[15:48]  Steve Linden is Online
[15:49]  Johan Laurasia: well, I coded it so when I stopped the object, it would set to non-physical, that cured that problem
[15:49]  Oskar Linden: It would be interesting to find out how many simulators have that turned off
[15:49]  Maestro Linden is Online
[15:49]  Twisted Laws: they disable it in sandboxes occassionally to help with clean up
[15:49]  Johan Laurasia: hmm, is there an easy way for you to call up that sort of stat?
[15:49]  Oskar Linden: I'm asking
[15:50]  Oskar Linden: Maestro is looking into it
[15:50]  Oskar Linden: should just be a simple SQL query
[15:50]  Oskar Linden: I don't remember where that flag is stored
[15:51]  Oskar Linden: if it is in the simstate it will be harder to get to
[15:51]  Johan Laurasia: would think that's where it is
[15:51]  Oskar Linden: anybody got anything else?
[15:52]  Johan Laurasia: um... is that new continent you mentioned open now?
[15:52]  Oskar Linden: cuz I've got nothing
[15:52]  Oskar Linden: it should be
[15:52]  Oskar Linden: for browsing
[15:52]  Oskar Linden: Nascera I think it is called
[15:52]  Oskar Linden: I jokingly call it the Nascar region
[15:52]  Johan Laurasia: lol
[15:52]  Oskar Linden: because it sounds like it
[15:52]  Twisted Laws: you gonna be here next week?
[15:52]  Oskar Linden: and it's basically like a trailer park
[15:52]  Johan Laurasia: I'll check it out later
[15:53]  Ellla McMahon: Linden Home Beta is now Open
Posted by Jack Linden on 16-Dec-2009 21:45:20
[15:53]  Oskar Linden: I say that lovingly
[15:53]  Ellla McMahon:
[15:54]  Johan Laurasia: so, is upgrading to havok 7 in the works then?
[15:54]  Oskar Linden: not on my radar
[15:54]  Oskar Linden: so that means not in the next 6 months
[15:54]  Oskar Linden: other lindens radar looks further
[15:54]  Bao Linden is Offline
[15:54]  Oskar Linden: i find it hard to look further than 2 weeks
[15:55]  Steve Linden is Offline
[15:55]  Johan Laurasia: when is 1.34 rollout expected?
[15:55]  Oskar Linden: 2 days ago
[15:55]  Oskar Linden: o.O
[15:55]  Johan Laurasia: oh, didint realize it was underway
[15:55]  Twisted Laws: lol
[15:55]  Oskar Linden: you mean 1.36?
[15:56]  Oskar Linden: underway and done
[15:56]  Oskar Linden: we have 1.34.1 fully rolled
[15:56]  Lil Linden: 1.36 is early February
[15:56]  Oskar Linden: thank you lil
[15:56]  Johan Laurasia: ok
[15:57]  Oskar Linden: alright. 3 minutes left
[15:57]  Twisted Laws: you gonna be here next week?
[15:57]  Oskar Linden: anybody working on anything cool?
[15:57]  Oskar Linden: good point twisted
[15:57]  Oskar Linden: I am quite certain that I will not be
[15:57]  Twisted Laws: lol, me either :p
[15:57]  Johan Laurasia: yeah, but it's not in my beta
[15:58]  Oskar Linden: well since I will not be here next week I will say Merry Christmas now
[15:58]  Johan Laurasia: Merry Christmas
[15:58]  Twisted Laws: somewhere behind me is a thing i made that tracks region restarts and records the versions too...
[15:58]  Oskar Linden: I hope Santa Linden grants all your wishes
[15:58]  Steve Linden is Online
[15:58]  Oskar Linden: cool twisted
[15:59]  Oskar Linden whistles a happy Christmas tune
[15:59]  Johan Laurasia: Thanks for the meeting guys.. have a nice holiday, and I'll see you next time
[15:59]  Oskar Linden: yup
[15:59]  Oskar Linden: thanks for stopping by
[15:59]  Twisted Laws: yep, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too
[15:59]  Ellla McMahon: ooh me too !! .. new computer .. better connection :)) .. hope he gives you everything you want too !!
[16:00]  Oskar Linden: DOCSIS-3
[16:00]  Bao Linden is Online
[16:00]  Psi Merlin: Happy Christmas
[16:00]  Lil Linden: Merry New Year!
[16:01]  Lil Linden: gtg
[16:01]  Lil Linden: later guys :)
[16:01]  Twisted Laws: bye
[16:01]  Opensource Obscure: bye !
[16:01]  Lil Linden is Offline
[16:01]  Oskar Linden: I do that in memory of dear Vektor
[16:01]  Ellla McMahon: Merry Christmas, Happy New Year everyone :))
[16:01]  Oskar Linden: thanks ella
[16:01]  Bao Linden is Offline