This project rebuilds the viewer using 64bit address space. It is our hope that this will improve viewer stability, allow you to use more of the memory in your system (if you have more than 4GB), and possibly also improve performance.
This release has not yet been extensively tested; we are making it available somewhat earlier in the development cycle than usual so that you can help us find any subtle problems and measure the effect on viewer crashes.
There is no Linux viewer yet.
However, there are two Windows viewers, a 32-bit build and a 64-bit build. At present, you must choose the correct one for your system:
- If you use an HD 2000 or 3000 series video card on Windows 10, choose 32 bit
- Otherwise, choose the one that matches your copy of Windows (if your computer can run 64bit, and most can, you will get better performance and fewer crashes running a 64 bit Windows and Viewer).
The Mac build has several known limitations:
- We no longer support 32-bit Macs
- We do not yet have a Havok build for 64-bit Mac.
- You will not be able to visualize pathfinding paths.
- You may not be able to upload mesh assets.
- Video media (QuickTime) usually does not play (the media handling is now the same as the Windows viewer).
This new build resolves some crashes, including a frequent crash on exit, fixes a number of other bugs, and updates all of the media handling.