(Redirected from User talk:SignpostMarv Martin/Sandbox/Project:Internationalisation)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Important questions that are posed at the end of the article should be cleaned up and placed in the FAQ list.
- Why is this project called "i18n" ?
- To avoid problems with the different spellings of "Internationalisation" (it's spelt with a z in US English), the widely used numeronym i18n is used instead.
- Why use ISO 639-3 ?
- It supports more languages than the previous ISO standards for language codes. Future proofing basically.
Guidelines for article proposal
- Create an article in your user-space
- Add it to the list below
- Continue to edit, tweak or otherwise improve upon your article while awaiting & responding to feedback from other Residents
Translated versions of an existing article
- Do not use machine translation. Ever. Translate an article into any language and back again to see why.
- Avoid content forks- refrain from translating an article that has been recently created and is still "under construction" as the content or meaning of an article could change.
- Append the ISO 639-3 code to the end of an English language article, e.g. Help:Getting started in Second Life and Help:Getting started in Second Life/spa
- International portals (something that'd be an intermediate step to Second Life along the lines of the German, Japanese and Korean versions of SecondLife.com)
- I would like to bring the following attemps to awareness of some more people:
- as well as an explanation at User:Zai_Lynch/Public_Suggestion_Box#Linguists (2nd topic).
- Greetings, --Zai Lynch(talk|contribs) 07:08, 8 April 2008 (PDT)