Here's how Linden Lab uses the workflow status and resolution field:
- Waiting Review
- Initial state when an issue/ticket is created or when it is reopened from a resolved or closed state. All issues in in this state will be reviewed and triaged.
- After we upgrade (planned for Sept 7): When an issue has been imported to an internal Linden Lab project, it will be marked as Acknowledged. We're installing a custom tool to enable syncing between internal and external projects (ie VWR, SVC, WEB).
Prior to upgrade: Acknowledge is all issues that were In Progress.
- Fix Pending
- When the imported issue has passed QA internally, then the public issue will change to Fix Pending. The bug is fixed in a version of the code that should soon be publicly available.
- Released (Resolution = Fixed)
- When the imported issue has been released (when it's marked as Closed), then the public issue will be marked as Released and the Resolution = Fixed.
- Resolution = Fixed
- When the Reporter agrees the issue is fixed in Production, s/he should mark the issue as Closed.
- Resolution = Won't Finish
- The assignee or Linden Lab doesn't reasonably believe this issue should or will be fixed.
- Resolution = Duplicate
- There's another issue about the same problem/idea. See the issues linked to it.
- Needs More Info (Resolution = Incomplete)
- The issue lacks actionable information. Add the info or it CAN'T be investigated.
- Cannot Reproduce (Resolution = Incomplete)
- Following the stated steps does NOT show the problem. Please provide a solid description of how to reproduce the problem, otherwise it's like finding Bigfoot. Issues that can't be reproduced will eventually be closed.
- Deferred (Resolution = Incomplete)
- The problem/idea is being evaluated but will not be worked on at the moment.
- Contact Support (Resolution = Not Applicable)
- The issue does NOT belong in the Issue Tracker, and needs to be handled through the Support Portal or Second Life Answers.
- Expected Behavior (Resolution = Not Applicable)
- This is NOT a bug and functions by design See Expected Behavior aka Not a Bug.
- Misfiled (Resolution = Not Applicable)
- This issue doesn't belong in the Issue Tracker. Often, these are afoul of our rules.
After an issue gets Linden attention, you can follow along.
Diagram of Workflow
- Diagram does not have all the transition arrows.
- A terminal state is a state that's not a middle step in a workflow, and would frequently be the last state for an issue. "Support Issue" is a good example.
- Showstopper - an issue that could (or did) cause disastrous consequences. For example critical loss of data, critical loss of system availability, critical loss of security, critical loss of safety.
- Severe - an issue that could (or did) cause very serious consequences. For example a function is severely broken, cannot be used and there is no workaround.
- Major - an issue that could (or did) cause significant consequences, but there is a workaround. For example: A function is badly broken but workaround exists.
- Minor (default) - an issue that could (or did) cause small or negligible consequences. Easy to recover or workaround. For example: misleading error messages, displaying output in a font or format other than what the resident desired.
- Trivial - an issue that can cause no negative consequences. Such defects normally produce no erroneous outputs. For example: simple typos in documentation, bad layout or mis-spelling on screen.
Transition to New Resolutions on 2010/08/24
Status = Step in the workflow; the stage the issue is currently at in its lifecycle; ie the box in the workflow diagram
Resolution = a record of the issue's resolution. If Resolution is blank, the issue is "Unresolved." If Resolution has a value, the issue is "Resolved" and will appear crossed out in JIRA. This is regardless of the workflow status.
|Won't Finish||No change|
|Cannot Reproduce||Change to "Cannot Reproduce" Status, Resolution = Incomplete|
|Contact Support||Change to "Support Issue" Status, Resolution = Incomplete|
|Expected Behavior||Change to "Expected Behavior" Status, Resolution = Not Applicable|
|Misfiled||Change to "Misfiled" Status, Resolution = Not Applicable|
|Needs More Info||Change to "Needs More Info" Status, Resolution = Incomplete|
|Under Advisement||Change to "Deferred" Status, Resolution = Incomplete|