Viewer 2 Help
Welcome to our lovely Viewer 2 Beta!
We've got lots of help to support the awesome improvements!
Fresh tips & tricks
|Tip: Follow Kate Linden on Twitter, play trivia to win a Viewer 2 bear!|
What help is available for Viewer 2?
- Totally new context-sensitive help built into the Viewer - Open just about any window, sidebar tab, and so on, and click the ? button. It doesn't get any easier. For example:
- Quick Start Guide - A comprehensively-illustrated tour of what you need to know. Also available from the Viewer's sidebar when you click the Home tab:
- Beta FAQ - Hot questions answered in PDF format.
- Release Notes - Need to dig into the details and get a blow-by-blow list of what's changed? Check these out.
- Transition Video Tutorials - Fun and friendly how-tos hosted by Torley. Think of it as an in-action "switcher's guide" of "Where did [insert feature] go?" (And check out the rest of our YouTube channel while you're at it.) For example:
- Second Life Answers - Ask fellow Residents questions about Viewer 2! Feel the love.
- If you want to share Viewer 2 experiences, we also have a forum for that.
- Viewer 2 Tips & Tricks blog - Learn something useful regularly!
Showing web content on a prim is one of Viewer 2's flagship features. This section will eventually have its own page, but for now, check these out:
- Shared Media: Bringing the Web Inworld with Viewer 2 - Linden Lab's initial announcement.
- Shared Media, Security, and Privacy - How to disable Shared Media auto-play and other helpful hints.
- Adding Shared Media to an object - Learn how to see websites, movies, and more on a prim.
- Shared Media and data URI - Have some HTML you want to put on a prim without uploading a webpage?
- Shared Media examples in the Destination Guide - Submit your suggestions through here.
- More Shared Media examples - Cool stuff from Residents.
Questions & Answers
Hot-tos and responses for hot Viewer 2 stuff! We heart followup! Also see Second Life Tips & Tricks.
- 2010-03-08 - Viewer 2 Moves - What features moved where?
- 2010-03-01 - Giving inventory, including with group notices
- 2010-02-24 - Answers to a Few FAQs on Viewer 2 - Covers media controls, build menu, object inspector, HUDs and the sidebar, and PPC Mac support.
Concerning our help itself:
Q: How is the Knowledge Base being updated for Viewer 2 help?
- A: We'll announce this when V2 gets out of beta and is the main supported Viewer. In the meantime, feel free to share your V2 tips & tricks on this wiki, but please don't overwrite Viewer 1.23-specific articles because it's the current supported Viewer!
|Warning: These are unofficial and Linden Lab can't guarantee them to work. Use at your own risk.|
- Viewer 2 Tweaks - Compilation of ways to change the interface, restore old functionality, and explore new debug settings.