Simulator User Group/Transcripts/2012.01.06

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Simulator_User_Group

Prev 2012.01.03 Next 2012.01.10

List of Speakers

Andrew Linden Arawn Spitteler Draconis Neurocam
Jane1 Bookmite Jonathan Yap Kaluura Boa
Keli Kyrie Kelly Linden Leonel Iceghost
MartinRJ Fayray Nalates Urriah Rachel Jurassic
Rex Cronon Simon Linden TankMaster Finesmith
Vincent Nacon

Transcript

[18:59] Simon Linden: Hello

[19:00] Jane1 Bookmite: Hi

[19:00] Simon Linden: Hey Jane :)

[19:00] Meeter: Welcome to the Server User Group

[19:00] Jane1 Bookmite: Hey Simon

[19:01] Simon Linden: I think Andrew should be here in a few minutes so we'll wait a bit before getting started

[19:03] anticrash_REGULAR: Attachments cannot use llVolumeDetect.

[19:03] Arawn Spitteler: Why did I have to choose Sit, on this couch? Someone might think that click action copies automatically

[19:03] Rex Cronon: greetings everybody

[19:03] Jane1 Bookmite: Hi REx

[19:03] Keli Kyrie: hI kELLY

[19:03] Rex Cronon: hi jane1

[19:03] Simon Linden: wow, now they're colorful

[19:04] Arawn Spitteler: He-Llo Rex-Cronon...

[19:04] Jane1 Bookmite: Indeed

[19:04] Rex Cronon: hi arawn

[19:04] Simon Linden: OK, I'm not sure when exactly Andrew might get here, so let's get started...

[19:04] Vincent Nacon: yeah, I just made a quick Randomize color linkset script with self script remove after it's done

[19:04] Simon Linden: The rollout of the next server code to an RC channel yesterday didn't happen

[19:04] Arawn Spitteler hopes Andrew isn't distracted by his facebork account

[19:05] Simon Linden: Right about the time they were going to start the rollout, there was a major hardware failure in one of our server farms that took out an entire rack of machines

[19:05] Rex Cronon: are these mesh chairs?

[19:05] Vincent Nacon: power failure?

[19:05] Vincent Nacon: and no, they're still sculpty

[19:05] Simon Linden: That was a bit exciting, so people were busy with that and we put off the update until next week

[19:06] Vincent Nacon: a 2-prims sculpty

[19:06] Rex Cronon: i see rectangles

[19:06] Rex Cronon: oh. finally loaded

[19:06] Nalates Urriah: What hardware failed?

[19:06] Vincent Nacon: ah

[19:06] TankMaster Finesmith: chairs need upgrading to mesh

[19:06] Simon Linden: I'm not sure what failed, Vincent. Those racks have all sorts of UPS backups and such, so in order to kill a whole rack it must have been the power system or perhaps the switch

[19:06] Simon Linden: network switch, I mean

[19:06] Vincent Nacon: yup, I should get around to it

[19:07] Vincent Nacon: maybe next monday

[19:07] Vincent Nacon: or tuesday

[19:07] Jonathan Yap: I heard it was the switch

[19:07] Simon Linden: That makes sense

[19:07] Jonathan Yap: That's what Oskar told us

[19:07] Nalates Urriah: A net switch could do it...

[19:07] Vincent Nacon: ahh close neough

[19:07] Vincent Nacon: knew it has to be something with power when taking down other racks

[19:07] Rex Cronon: they got live aliens eating the wires;)

[19:08] Simon Linden: In any case, that stopped the rollout, which was already a day late, so we postponed it to Wednesday next week, back on the regular schedule

[16:08] TankMaster Finesmith: welcome Andrew

[16:08] Vincent Nacon: there ya go, favorite color, Andrew

[16:09] Vincent Nacon: or that

[16:09] Vincent Nacon: muhaha!

[16:09] TankMaster Finesmith: haha and he doesn't take it...

[16:09] Simon Linden: That means no main-rollout on Tuesday, as everythign on the grid is running the same version right now

[16:09] Vincent Nacon: honestly, the less rolling, the better anyway

[16:09] TankMaster Finesmith: are they then also not going to do restarts for the fun of it?

[16:10] Simon Linden: The new roll shoud have a fix for that keyframed motion issue when you don't use 1/45th of a second time intervals

[16:10] Vincent Nacon: ahh but how is that sorted then?

[16:10] Simon Linden: We actually don't do them just for fun :)

[16:10] Vincent Nacon: to the lowest or the hightest interval?

[16:11] Vincent Nacon: highest*

[16:11] Simon Linden: Vincent - it rounds down to a 1/45th of a second time

[16:11] Vincent Nacon: ...

[16:11] Vincent Nacon: let's say it's 4.5 where does it rounded down to?

[16:12] Simon Linden: 4 22/45 seconds

[16:12] Vincent Nacon: ok wrong number to set as example

[16:12] Vincent Nacon: 0.9?

[16:13] Vincent Nacon: I meant how does it rounded down non-supported number?

[16:13] Simon Linden: 0.5 seconds would be 1/2 of 45 frames ... that 22.5 becomes 22 frames

[16:13] Vincent Nacon: yeah I wasn't really thinking about the number, more about how it handles it

[16:13] Vincent Nacon: ok so then, it's the lowest interval

[16:13] Simon Linden: Essentially it rounds down to the closest even simulator frame

[16:14] Draconis Neurocam: is the rounding down unique to keyframemotion, or is that how the server handles most things via the physics engine?

[16:14] Vincent Nacon: err... but Simon, the closet 22.5 goes is 23

[16:14] Simon Linden: This bug is unique to keyframemotion, but the simulator runs at 45 frames per second. So each frame, the physics world it told to move objects 1/45th of a second

[16:15] Vincent Nacon: right

[16:15] Keli Kyrie puts on her Pirate Hat to sit next to tehKellz

[16:15] Simon Linden: lol, you're going to open Pandora's box if we start discussing different rounding techniques. It's surprisingly complicated

[16:15] Vincent Nacon: you can't really say it's "rounded down to the closet." when it's actually rounded down to the lowset interval

[16:16] Jonathan Yap: Let's not pick too many nits here. Is there a next subject?

[16:16] Vincent Nacon: but anyway... I was just being technical about the term, carry on

[16:16] TankMaster Finesmith: what about when its less than 1 frame?

[16:16] Vincent Nacon: ohh... nice question

[16:16] Vincent Nacon: should have been rounded up then?

[16:17] Andrew Linden: Psst... Don't specify animation frames that less than one frame.

[16:17] TankMaster Finesmith: >.<

[16:17] TankMaster Finesmith: you know someone will though

[16:17] Vincent Nacon: yeah but it's still a bug though

[16:17] Simon Linden: ok, here's the exact way it works: floor( time * 45 ) / 45

[16:18] Simon Linden: Well, the worry was that if we rounded up, it might get there slightly later than expected.

[16:18] Vincent Nacon: yeah but that's only minor... hmm

[16:18] Simon Linden: Anyway, it should be better than before

[16:18] Vincent Nacon: yes

[16:19] Simon Linden: llSetRegionPos() will be in that release too

[16:19] Simon Linden: Also llGetEnv("frame_number") has been added ... fairly esoteric but I'

[16:19] TankMaster Finesmith: so i take it if its less than 1 fram, gets rounded down to 0, and therefor wont move?

[16:19] Simon Linden: I've already found it useful for testing

[16:19] Vincent Nacon: won't move or won't update?

[16:20] Draconis Neurocam: yeah i can see how knowing the frame number is nice

[16:20] Simon Linden: The time already has a minimum value of 0.1 second, so you can't do that anyway

[16:20] Andrew Linden: the frame number can probably be used to detect region restarts

[16:21] Jonathan Yap: It resets to 0 on region restart?

[16:21] Simon Linden: Right, it gets reset upon restart

[16:21] TankMaster Finesmith: is that minimum enforced server side?

[16:21] Simon Linden: yes, it's been there from the start, Phoenix

[16:21] Leonel Iceghost: you sugest changed event doesn't work always?

[16:21] TankMaster Finesmith: ok

[16:22] Kelly Linden: The changed event should work always.

[16:22] Simon Linden: You'll get an error sent to the viewer: "Delta times must be >0.1s"

[16:22] Simon Linden: There are a few other minor bug fixes in there, like SVC-7485

[16:22] JIRA-helper: http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7485

[#SVC-7485] llSetKeyframedMotion cannot stop animation if none is running ... sounds less important than it is ...

[16:23] Simon Linden: We'll scrape together release notes soon

[16:23] Simon Linden: Anyway, that's it for my news ... Kelly or Andrew, do you have any?

[16:24] Andrew Linden: I don't have any news.

[16:24] Kelly Linden: I do not either.

[16:24] Simon Linden: ok, looks like the invisible table is open for topics ...

[16:25] Kaluura Boa: Some news about the LR function promised for Q1?

[16:25] Kaluura Boa: functionS*

[16:25] Vincent Nacon: there ya go... a motor table for open

[16:25] Kelly Linden: Where were those promised for Q1? I think I missed that, or forgot.

[16:26] Simon Linden: Nothing definite that I know of, but some people were meeting on it today

[16:26] TankMaster Finesmith: i think most of Q1 will be for bug fixing

[16:26] Jonathan Yap: The return of new last names was promised for Q1, that's the only promise I know about

[16:26] Simon Linden: I don't remember any promised schedule either ... we tend to avoid that :)

[16:26] Kaluura Boa: Yeah... I mixed the dates...

[16:26] Vincent Nacon: if last name are coming back... does that mean we're removing display name?

[16:26] Kaluura Boa: Rodvik just said "soon" (tm)

[16:26] Simon Linden: Oh really, are they bringing back First Lastname accounts?

[16:27] Andrew Linden: I'm out of touch. Where was the return of the last names announced?

[16:27] TankMaster Finesmith: from what we have been told, LL is going to look hard at things like HTTP texture system, avatar baking, etc

[16:27] Simon Linden: lol, our group is out of touch

[16:27] Jonathan Yap: It was announced by Rodvik, I think it was on his feed

[16:27] TankMaster Finesmith: @ andrew, yes, on rodvic's feed

[16:27] Rex Cronon: u guys need to open twitter accounts and post messages there;)

[16:27] Nalates Urriah: Its just Rod leaking secrets in the Sl Blog

[16:27] TankMaster Finesmith: it was announced that they were going to decide when toi annouce it basicly

[16:28] Simon Linden: Yes Phoenix, the http code needs to be taken out back and beaten with a stick. It's pretty ugly

[16:28] TankMaster Finesmith: montyt is having "fun" looking over the code :P

[16:28] TankMaster Finesmith: Monty*

[16:29] TankMaster Finesmith: the good new about what they hope to do with avatar baking is it should resulve most of the baking issues,

[16:29] TankMaster Finesmith: bad thing is it may brake temp uploads that most third party viewers offer

[16:30] Vincent Nacon: I wouldn't miss having temp upload anyway

[16:30] Kaluura Boa: I would miss it... I use allthe time...

[16:30] Vincent Nacon: if we must, upload them on beta grid

[16:30] Meeter: Timecheck : User Group is half over

[16:30] Rachel Jurassic: a wild table has appeared

[16:31] Jonathan Yap: There

[16:31] Rachel Jurassic: it even has...koolaid

[16:31] Kaluura Boa: How do you do to transfer anything on Aditi in less than 2 minutes?

[16:31] Leonel Iceghost: I'm sure third party will be able to hook the cache and put temp upload anyway

[16:31] TankMaster Finesmith: that, or use somethgin like flicker or [hotobucket, then use media on a prim to display the image, vincent

[16:31] Vincent Nacon: upload by hands

[16:31] Jonathan Yap: There's a new feature coming to the LL viewer -- preview texture in viewer based on a file on your HD

[16:31] Vincent Nacon: or that, Tank

[16:31] Keli Kyrie: ckick on it it will give you a drink

[16:31] Vincent Nacon: I'm just saying it's not all much of a loss if we can't have temp upload

[16:32] Rex Cronon: tell that to those that use a TPV

[16:32] TankMaster Finesmith: yeah, LL will be picking up the local image browser that phoenix has

[16:32] Simon Linden: That sounds good, Jonathan

[16:33] Vincent Nacon: so what has Falcon been doing lately?

[16:33] Andrew Linden: Falcon is working on his next sekret project.

[16:33] Vincent Nacon: I doubt it's a secret, Andrwe

[16:33] Vincent Nacon: Andrew*

[16:34] Andrew Linden: I've got a topic for discussion: I've been pondering replacing the old wind system.

[16:34] Vincent Nacon: replacing?

[16:34] Draconis Neurocam: replacing it with what?

[16:34] Vincent Nacon: with less data instead of none?

[16:34] Andrew Linden: Partly to get rid of some unecessary simulation CPU cycles to make the wind a little cheaper

[16:34] Vincent Nacon: ah good

[16:34] Leonel Iceghost: you could better talk about that with sailor programmers.. so you do something they can use

[16:35] TankMaster Finesmith: Oz recently updated the wind vector code in the viewer

[16:35] Vincent Nacon: I wouldn't mind if it's just one wind direction per sim

[16:35] Simon Linden: I wonder if we could just offer an option to turn it off for a region ... get those CPU cycles back on places nobody cares about

[16:35] Jonathan Yap: I think the sailors often use a wind setter

[16:35] Vincent Nacon: how directions does it currently have btw?

[16:35] Andrew Linden: but I was also thinking about providing a per-region setting that would allow the region to get its wind data from an external server

[16:35] Vincent Nacon: 65k?

[16:35] Draconis Neurocam: that would be interesting

[16:35] Andrew Linden: right, the sailors use their own wind system

[16:35] TankMaster Finesmith: that would be useful, i think, simon

[16:36] Andrew Linden: and some of them can get rather fancy

[16:36] Leonel Iceghost: they use their own because they can't use the built in, not because they want their own

[16:36] Jonathan Yap: I've tried sailing, but don't have a wind setter, the the region's wind is usually too feeble

[16:36] Draconis Neurocam: would llwind and llcloud be effected by the new systems?

[16:36] Vincent Nacon: hmmm maybe you should think ahead for some future features like weather system

[16:36] Andrew Linden: such as this one: http://www.zamani-marine.com/?page_id=191

[16:37] Andrew Linden: no need to read that whole thing now, but it goes into detail about how it computes wind-shadow from boats that are communicating with the external server

[16:37] Andrew Linden: I'm not interested in making the simulator compute wind shadow

[16:37] Leonel Iceghost: you can make it use a few cycles as you want.. but if sailors can do a fancy one with lsl without using resourses.. why don't you try to make something they want

[16:37] Andrew Linden: but it would be cool if we could let the simulator query an external server

[16:37] Rex Cronon: wind shadow?

[16:37] Vincent Nacon: but maybe land shadow?

[16:38] Vincent Nacon: I dunno why they're calling it shadow

[16:38] Andrew Linden: er... boat shadow from other boats

[16:38] Jonathan Yap: Would the server deal with tallish items on shore causing a wind shadow?

[16:38] Vincent Nacon: basically "shadow" is a wind affected by wind blockage, right?

[16:38] Andrew Linden: apparently land-shadow is an exprimental direction

[16:38] Andrew Linden: er... under experimentation

[16:38] Vincent Nacon: but you know...

[16:39] Jonathan Yap: Yes, get too close to some tall object and the wind on the lee side is much less

[16:39] Rex Cronon: what has wind to do with shadow made by boats. the sun determines the shadow

[16:39] Vincent Nacon: land shadow is generally affect in all 3 direction XY and Z

[16:39] Vincent Nacon: and wind data is only 2D?

[16:39] Andrew Linden: wind-shadow = reduction of wind caused by nearby big objects

[16:39] Vincent Nacon: so you want to make it 3D?

[16:39] Jonathan Yap: Wind shadow is like a sun shadow, but for wind

[16:39] Rex Cronon: oh. aerodinamics

[16:40] Andrew Linden: no I'm not interested in adding more work to the server. Instead I was thinking the server could ask a web service for the current wind

[16:40] Jonathan Yap: Also, if you have wind blowing onto a cliff that would be a good place for gliders to hang out

[16:40] Andrew Linden: most of the mainland could query some internal LL web service

[16:40] Simon Linden: I wonder how often it would need to update from that external server

[16:40] Andrew Linden: but if we had the ability to specify it for each region... then we could open it up to estate owners and let them point at an external source

[16:40] Vincent Nacon: well you still could have wind server do 3D if you provide the sim's RAW hightmap file

[16:41] Jonathan Yap: Currently does an entire region have the same wind speed and direction?

[16:41] Andrew Linden: well, boat racers have a need to not be able to predict the wind, so the source and the future wind directions need to be unavailable

[16:41] Rex Cronon: u would need quite a powerfull simulator to compute wind direction and speed for all the simulators

[16:41] Simon Linden: No Jonathan, it's a map of data

[16:41] Andrew Linden: but internally each region could query the LL system for the next hour (or day's) worth of wind data

[16:42] Vincent Nacon: how many direction seeds are there in a sim? 65k?

[16:42] Andrew Linden: so it wouldn't have to hit the wind service too hard

[16:42] Vincent Nacon: assuming one per 1m x 1m

[16:43] Andrew Linden: I'm thinking that all regions would have the same wind (global wind)

[16:43] Simon Linden: The region is divided into a 16x16 grid for wind

[16:43] Vincent Nacon: so... one direction seed per sim?

[16:43] Vincent Nacon: ah ok

[16:43] Vincent Nacon: 256 seeds

[16:43] Simon Linden: It fits nicely into one network packet :)

[16:43] Andrew Linden: 16x16 grid per region right now yes, but the resolution within the region might not be needed

[16:44] Vincent Nacon: is 2x2 grid enough?

[16:44] Jonathan Yap: There is that newish region wide environment system for lighting and clouds, maybe a simpler wind system could be added to that

[16:44] Andrew Linden: 1x1, and uniform across the world

[16:44] Andrew Linden: but varying in more "useful" ways

[16:44] Andrew Linden: right now the wind system can be too variable for many purposes

[16:44] Leonel Iceghost: every sim could make its own random modification

[16:45] Andrew Linden: such as driving particle systems and boats

[16:45] Vincent Nacon: how about 4 instead of 1? in 2x2 grid with large falloff in between

[16:46] Andrew Linden: the old 1.23 viewers use a particle system for the clouds, and are driven by the wind

[16:46] Andrew Linden: as I recall

[16:46] Vincent Nacon: to make it little bit more natural and fun within a sim

[16:46] Simon Linden: I don't know what they are, but I'm sure the sailors would have a lot of ideas on how it should work for them

[16:46] Andrew Linden: do the 3p viewers use the old clouds or the windlight stuff?

[16:46] Jonathan Yap: Sailors could use the new web service. Estate managers could use an enhancement to the region cloud/lighting system, so particles, flags, etc. operate uniformly, but could be programmed to vary over time

[16:46] Vincent Nacon: I dunno about windlight but that's not related

[16:46] TankMaster Finesmith thinks LL needs volumetric clouds :P

[16:46] Vincent Nacon: shhh

[16:47] Vincent Nacon: not now

[16:47] Vincent Nacon: :P

[16:47] TankMaster Finesmith: hehe

[16:47] TankMaster Finesmith: with realtime partical physics

[16:47] Vincent Nacon: don't make me smack youi

[16:47] Simon Linden wonders if these couches have an 'eject' feature

[16:47] Jonathan Yap: the rwls solution would put the load on the viewer

[16:47] Leonel Iceghost: that would be good for teaching stuff

[16:47] Vincent Nacon: no but I can remove it

[16:47] Vincent Nacon: :P

[16:48] TankMaster Finesmith: what? gotta have something thatll use my quad crosfire 7970s...

[16:48] Keli Kyrie: People with sub-par computer will be calling foul

[16:48] Vincent Nacon: I know... my Dual Core single card is dying for some action as well

[16:48] TankMaster Finesmith: hehe, not just sub par

[16:49] Vincent Nacon: anyway... what about weather system, Andrew?

[16:49] Vincent Nacon: or something to think ahead for future featrues

[16:49] Rex Cronon: wait. u want the viewers to compute all the wind calculations?

[16:49] Vincent Nacon: features*

[16:49] Vincent Nacon: no Rex, he wanted volume rendering

[16:49] TankMaster Finesmith: as for windlight, the latest FS and phoenix uses the new cloud system

[16:49] Andrew Linden: You know... a long time ago (pre-beta) we had some rain effects

[16:49] Rex Cronon: ok

[16:50] Draconis Neurocam n ods

[16:50] Vincent Nacon: yeah, that's why I was asking

[16:50] Andrew Linden: however we didn't have the CPU resources to handle raindrop collisions

[16:50] Andrew Linden: so it would rain inside buildings

[16:50] Andrew Linden: and we pulled it

[16:50] Draconis Neurocam: same with physical water

[16:50] Nalates Urriah: Having the viewers calc wind and affect a boat is going to create problems for sailing competitions and races.

[16:50] Jonathan Yap: Rex, no, the server would send the wind data, just like it does for clouds and lighting, it could be programmed in advance to do A at time T1 and B at time T2, etc

[16:50] Andrew Linden: so rain won't show up until we have viewer-side particle physics

[16:50] Vincent Nacon: the particle rain could have been done on Viewer instead

[16:50] Andrew Linden: right

[16:50] Vincent Nacon: yeah... how hard could that be?

[16:50] Vincent Nacon: but

[16:51] Vincent Nacon: not really what I was asking about... I meant a large weather system that'll simulate across the whole grid.

[16:51] Andrew Linden: well...

[16:51] Andrew Linden: suppose the region could query some central service for weather too

[16:52] Vincent Nacon: if there's a storm in south with wind blowing up north... sims in North will get storm in next few hours

[16:52] Andrew Linden: then we could run a weather simulation remotely

[16:52] Vincent Nacon: or wherever the wind system take the storm to

[16:52] Andrew Linden: and just pipe the data to the regions that were interested

[16:52] Jonathan Yap: Vincent, I don't think many estate owners would buy into that

[16:52] Rex Cronon: like a meterlogy radio station?

[16:52] Andrew Linden: if we were to do it (and we're not working on that right now) that is how I would try it

[16:52] Vincent Nacon: I know Jonathan... but could always have it as an option

[16:52] Andrew Linden: right, the weather service would dictate the weather rather than report it

[16:52] Vincent Nacon: with a checkbox in estate control panel

[16:53] Vincent Nacon: or maybe parcel

[16:53] Andrew Linden: estate-wide would be nice to do, of course

[16:53] TankMaster Finesmith: i wouldnt mind more relistic weather in the viewer, thats something we would pick up ahead f our normal merging process to, so its in the viewer quicker

[16:53] Vincent Nacon: at least let's use the weather effect in Windlight. I know it's dying to be fully used

[16:53] Andrew Linden: not a checkbox, but a editor field where you could specify the service to use

[16:54] Leonel Iceghost: it would be great to have rain, some games make so beautiful sparcks when rain hits the sea.. you have to research

[16:54] Vincent Nacon: rain, snow, fog, summer-blazing-hot, hurricane, hellstorm, etc etc

[16:54] Jonathan Yap: I read that the current windlight system can do rain effects, at least it did when LL bought the company that wrote it

[16:55] Keli Kyrie: but i which there was a way to keep the rain outside of objects

[16:55] Vincent Nacon: yup, so why can't we use it when we can plan ahead with it?

[16:55] Simon Linden: Don't forget tornados

[16:55] Vincent Nacon: tornado... hurricane... same thing!

[16:55] Jonathan Yap: Now, if you are going to have weather effects don't forget that prolonged wind raises the water level in the direction the wind is blowing, it piles up against the shore, causing flooding :P

[16:55] Vincent Nacon: :P

[16:55] TankMaster Finesmith: speaking of wather service... would be rather interesting if you could have a region simulate weather that mimics from a specified real world city and gets updated say, every hr to match the current conditions

[16:55] Rex Cronon: if we can have tornados, how about vulcanos:)

[16:55] Meeter: Timecheck : User Group is almost over

[16:55] Vincent Nacon: flooding... well that's different

[16:56] Rex Cronon: lightning, hail...

[16:56] TankMaster Finesmith: Microsoft Flight Simulator does this

[16:56] Jonathan Yap: and also couple tides with the moon's position if we are going to go all-out

[16:56] Leonel Iceghost: yeah, if a widgets knows the weather in my city, you can do it!

[16:56] Andrew Linden: that is sorta how the windmaster system works (see link in the chat history). It gets its wind stats from a real-world buoy

[16:56] Leonel Iceghost: I would like my sim to rain when it is raining in my city

[16:56] TankMaster Finesmith: right

[16:57] TankMaster Finesmith: and theres plenty of free and open services out there to get the weather info from

[16:58] Vincent Nacon: ...is volcano part of weather?

[16:58] Vincent Nacon: muhaha!

[16:58] Andrew Linden: hrm...

[16:58] TankMaster Finesmith: smoke from forest fires is

[16:58] Jonathan Yap: yes, it shoots up ash, causing the sun to be blocked off, and it gets colder

[16:58] Leonel Iceghost: no, but raining lava is

[16:58] Vincent Nacon: sorry, was thinking about "From Dust" to deal with flooding

[16:58] Rex Cronon: erruptions generate ash, ash clouds, lightning

[16:59] TankMaster Finesmith: ive seen a forecast of "smokey"

[16:59] Jonathan Yap: also that ash causes jet engines to conk out

[16:59] Vincent Nacon: to use water mesh, instead of keeping them flat and raised as a whole

[16:59] Keli Kyrie: I have to run everyone. Should I leave the koolaid?

[16:59] Vincent Nacon: yes

[16:59] Rachel Jurassic: yes

[16:59] TankMaster Finesmith: itll auto return in an hr

[16:59] Jonathan Yap: Andrew, did you mean to open a can of worms? :)

[16:59] Rachel Jurassic: ( o 3 o)b

[16:59] Rex Cronon: imagine. WARNING: for the next four hours all flights will be canceled in ll due to vulcanic erruption:)

[16:59] Andrew Linden: I was just wondering how a volcano would be possible in SL...

[17:00] Rex Cronon: tc

[17:00] TankMaster Finesmith: lol

[17:00] Keli Kyrie good night everyone have a wonderful weekend. :)

[17:00] Andrew Linden: of course, no one wants a volcano to show up on their parcel, except upon request

[17:00] Vincent Nacon: you'll have to buy "From Dust" game to learn how they did it

[17:00] Leonel Iceghost: colorize sea, and make is scriptable height

[17:00] Jonathan Yap: You could also have an earthquake, and discover region #1 has move 10m relative to it's border region #2

[17:00] Meeter: Thank you for coming to the Server User Group

[17:00] Vincent Nacon: but nevermind the volcano part... you should look into how they dealt with flooding and water washing shores

[17:01] Rex Cronon: u raise the ground...

[17:01] TankMaster Finesmith: lol jonathan

[17:01] Leonel Iceghost: colorizing sea would allow for beautiful beaches without annoying flicking prims

[17:01] Simon Linden: Flooding is possible by just raising the water level

[17:01] Vincent Nacon: the water and land mesh would need another layer of UV map though

[17:01] Andrew Linden: there used to be an occasional bug that would cause the terrain to shift about 4 - 8 meeters

[17:01] Vincent Nacon: yeah but Simon....

[17:01] Vincent Nacon: what about the next sims?

[17:01] Andrew Linden: it was much like an earthquake... except all the objects stayed where they were

[17:01] Jonathan Yap: It would be nice if the water level was not 1 uniform height

[17:01] Vincent Nacon: the water breaks around the edges

[17:02] Vincent Nacon: so it's ugly

[17:02] Vincent Nacon: but think about how we could use water mesh treated the same way with land, so we could have lakes on land

[17:02] Leonel Iceghost: if you make scriptable height we can create a lot more beautiful waves for surfing too

[17:02] Vincent Nacon: or a pond

[17:02] Vincent Nacon: even a river flowing downward

[17:02] MartinRJ Fayray: ..good idea at all, great effect plus reduces server cpu usage

[17:03] Vincent Nacon: but like I said... go buy "From Dust" and you'll learn a lot from it

[17:03] TankMaster Finesmith: just alow the water surfice to be a mesh object "D

[17:03] Vincent Nacon: http://from-dust.ubi.com/from-dust/en-gb/home/index.aspx

[17:03] Jonathan Yap: There seems to be a lot of interest in better environment effects. Now just to come up with some ideas that can be implemented and not add additional server load

[17:04] Simon Linden: That's definitely important ... it has to be relatively low-load on the server, or at least configurable so owners who don't care can turn it off

[17:04] Andrew Linden: Well, I'd start with wind. I guess I need to try to find time to try it out.

[17:04] Vincent Nacon: yup

[17:05] Andrew Linden: Thanks for coming everyone.

[17:05] Vincent Nacon: take care all

[17:05] TankMaster Finesmith: have a great weekend all

[17:05] Kaluura Boa: Good night, everybody...

[17:05] Rex Cronon: tc andrew

[17:05] Nalates Urriah: Thx Lindens

[17:05] Leonel Iceghost: if you look, most moder games have plenty of wheather effects, and they look so real.. from dusty winds, to fogs and rain

[17:05] Rex Cronon: tc everybody

[17:05] Jonathan Yap: Thank you Simon and Andrew and Kelly if you are here too

[17:06] Simon Linden: Thanks everyone for coming and the good conversation

[17:06] Simon Linden: See you next week

[17:06] Vincent Nacon: aye

[17:06] Rex Cronon: tc simon

[17:06] Vincent Nacon: have a great weekend



Simulator_User_Group

Prev 2012.01.03 Next 2012.01.10