Avatar | Bug Fixes | Communication | Community | Glossary | Land & Sim | Multimedia | Navigation | Object | Video Tutorials | Viewer | Wiki | Misc
The Second Life Events page gives you an overview of how communities and businesses are using Second Life for a variety of events.
There are several types of events in Second Life:
- Live Performances - The event is realtime; either a presenter or artist is providing realtime content via text or voice. They may be managing their avatar live, or someone may do it for them. This is used most frequently for presentations to a group or audience.
- Streamed - The event was prerecorded or is being streamed with a short delay from the real world into Second Life, via the streaming capability on land parcels. This is often used for music and some real-world events.
- Mixed-Reality - The event has live video being streamed into Second Life. In return, a view from within Second Life (called "inworld") is projected to the live event (by having an account logged in at the event); the event may include feedback via text or voice chat from the Second Life audience.
Second Life Regions are limited to a maximum of 100 avatars (accounts); many events limit the maximum to 30-50 accounts to balance performance. To enable larger audiences, an event can be streamed to multiple Regions, each with its own audience. In concept, this is similar to simulcasting.
You'll find examples of actual events in the Second Life Destination Guide Music section.
Solution Providers, who can assist you with events, are listed in the Solution Provider Directory. Search Services in desired categories like Events, Audio, or Video.
On this wiki
- Finding events
- Posting events
- Building community - "... how to optimize your Second Life locations with compelling content so they attract, sustain, and grow visitors."
- Event moderation - How to prevent griefing at your events.
- Live Performances
- How many avatars can I have on my region at once without causing serious problems with lag?
- Can I rent a Region for a special event?
- Guide to Jobs in Second Life
- Overview of Music in Second Life
- Streaming Video in Second Life
From various websites
- 2009-07-16 - Corporate Events and Meetings in Second Life - Official blog post by Glenn Linden.
- 2009-06-22 - Managing Meetings in Second Life®: The Protocol Guide - Released under an Attribution-Noncommercial Commons License.
- 2008-07-18 - Virtual Events Cost Microsoft 1/3 of Physical Events - On Virtual World News.
- 2008-01-xx - In my Second Life, I’ll be an event manager. A featured interview with Allison - On Event Manager Blog.