|DEBUG_CHANNEL||Chat channel reserved for script debugging and error messages, broadcasts to all nearby users.|
|PUBLIC_CHANNEL||Chat channel that broadcasts to all nearby users. This channel is sometimes referred to as: open chat, local chat and public chat.|
- Messages sent on channel zero and DEBUG_CHANNEL are throttled to a rate of <200/10sec, per region, per owner/user.
- Once the rate is exceeded, all following messages on channel zero or DEBUG_CHANNEL will be dropped until the send rate is again below 200/10sec for the previous 10 sec. Dropped messages, despite being dropped still count against the limit.
- Text spoken can only be heard within 20 meters of the speaking prim (rather than the root). This is contrary to how the event listen works, where a message can only be heard by any prim in the object if and only if the root prim is capable of hearing it.
- Text can only be a maximum of 1024 bytes.
- A prim cannot hear itself, to prevent problems with recursion.
- Channel PUBLIC_CHANNEL. Everyone can hear chat transmitted on this channel. All other channels are private channels (not sent to users, with the exception of DEBUG_CHANNEL). is the
- Consider using llInstantMessage, llOwnerSay, or the DEBUG_CHANNEL for debugging purposes. If DEBUG_CHANNEL is used as channel, the script will say msg to the Script Warning/Error window.
- If one object 'says' something to another object (e.g., a button that, when touched, turns on a lamp), it is a good idea to use a very negative channel, e.g.,
</lsl> Negative channels are popular for script communications because the client is unable to chat directly on those channels ("/-xxxx message" won't chat "message" on channel "-xxxx", it will chat "/-xxxx message" on channel zero). The only way to do so prior to llTextBox was to use llDialog which was limited to 24 bytes.
|•||llListen||–||Ask for listen events|
|•||llInstantMessage||–||Sends chat to the owner only (or to some other user only) to avoid spamming the PUBLIC_CHANNEL|
|•||llOwnerSay||–||Sends chat to the owner only to avoid spamming the PUBLIC_CHANNEL|
|•||llRegionSay||–||Sends chat region wide|
|•||llShout||–||Sends chat limited to 100 meters|
|•||llWhisper||–||Sends chat limited to 10 meters|