Avatar | Bug Fixes | Communication | Community | Glossary | Land & Sim | Multimedia | Navigation | Object | Video Tutorials | Viewer | Wiki | Misc
Second Life has Windows Vista support for recent graphics cards with updated drivers. See System Requirements. Much of the below is deprecated and retained for historical context.
Graphics Driver Info
Update your graphics drivers first!
You need the latest drivers for your video card to run Second Life with Windows Vista.
Microsoft's own update service, as noted in many sources such as OpenGL.org and various reports, does not contain the proper OpenGL ICD. What this means is that to have full hardware acceleration and better compatibility in Vista, you will likely have to go to your video card manufacturer's web site to download and install the latest Vista divers:
Please do this before going further. The majority of the complaints we've heard were resolved by doing this upfront.
- Vista support in Second Life - Dated 2007-07-20, and has more recent info from Aric Linden on how our progress is coming along.
- Windows Vista Status - Dated 2007-02-09 from the Official Linden Blog. Steve Linden explains why the First Look Viewer is an important step towards Vista compatibility.
Public Issue Tracker
You can search for "vista" to see issues fellow Residents have reported.
You can discuss in the Technical Issues forum. Also try an Advanced Search. Note that some of this info is deprecated and kept here for legacy purposes only.
- Vista? - General info.
- Will SL Work on Windows Vista?
- Ati - Vista - OpenGL drivers out followed up by Windows Vista / ATI Update on the blog
- Windows Vista/ SL hardware problems
If you would like to read or share comments on running Second Life with Windows Vista, please see Talk:Windows Vista