SL Cert - Advanced Machinima
- SLCertification is a community project guided by Linden Lab (see FAQ). This project page and its contents are not endorsed, managed or supervised by Linden Lab. Linden Lab may link to this resource in the future solely as an informational service to the Second Life community.
The following are the criteria required for an individual to become certified in the area of Machinima using the Second Life platform at the Advanced Level.
High end professional animators and filmmakers who use Second Life to produce videos.
Advanced Machinima criteria includes all criteria for Intermediate Level certification plus:
- Lip syncing
- Advanced animation
- Advanced lighting techniques
- Advanced editing and motion graphics
- Advanced sound (foley, soundtrack music, spatial audio)
All skills will be demonstrated as a combination of a theoretical (multiple-choice) test, practical application in-world, and a complete final video containing all required certification criteria. The video will be done according to a defined set of different scenes with the specific results called for within each scene.
Completion of Advanced level certification will demonstrate that successful candidates have the skills necessary to operate as the Director of complex machinima projects.
- Demonstrate ability to produce seamless lip synch animations to avatar speech.
- Must be convincing on close up shots (e.g. head shots).
- Must be demonstrated using several different voice actors using different cadences and speeds
- Demonstrate ability to produce lifelike animation shots and scenes.
- Demonstrate ability to produce shots using effective facial expressions, avatar movement, and lifelike qualities including use of non-human avatars.
- Demonstrate mastery of frame rates, control over in-world obstacles such as lag, and use of animations without visible pose balls.
- Demonstrate ability to produce convincing set lighting in world.
- Demonstrate ability to craft lighting to match mood called for in different script situations and genres (e.g. training, romance, sci-fi, horror, comedy).
Advanced editing and motion graphics
- Demonstrate ability to produce complex edits using professional video editing tools (e.g. Adobe Premiere, Apple Final Cut Pro).
- Demonstrate ability to produce complex motion graphics effects and titles.
- Demonstrate advanced incorporation of still images
- Demonstrate consistent color management across all scenes.
- Demonstrate ability to control sound requirements on in-world sets.
- Demonstrate ability to capture vocal dialog and do seamless overdubs to ensure consistent high quality sound.
- Demonstrate the effective use of foley and effects sounds added as post.
- Demonstrate the effective use of soundtrack music:
- According to genre (e.g. training, romance, sci-fi, horror, comedy).
- Proper placement in scenes.
- Proper mixing and equalization.
- Proper use of spatial effects (e.g. doppler effects, distance, close up)