Mentor Linguists/Meeting Summaries

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


This page lists the summaries of the Mentor Linguists meetings. The complete transcripts including lists of attendees are linked to the group page.

March 11th 2009

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting (old agenda): Group merge related:

  • The Mentor Linguists inworld group will merge with the Second Life CT Projects group (no objections against that).
  • Suggestions for merge:
  • In case the island is open for the public, it is suggested to build a promotion area for the translation projects. Like
    • Have localization related office hours at Localization Central (Rika, Noelle, Simone + maybe Danica some day).
    • Build an information path on how to join the projects.
    • Promote the island (and therefor the projects) with an exhibition at Second Lifes next birthday.

Other topics:

  • Future meetings at Localization Central in case any of the three proposals get's an OK, otherwise at Tenera to ensure that every interested party is able to join the meeting.
  • Promotion of new multi-lang feature (Google links - only visible when no volunteer translation is available)
  • Question to help with localization of related Template:Translation Message to promote volunteer translations.
  • Promotion of Template:Multi-lang/kb

January 14th 2009

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting (old agenda):

  • Update on Localization Portal
    • Due to some showstoppers, the planned opening of the Localization Portal might be postponed untill mid February
  • There is a new language specific linguists group for Dutch Linguists called Dutch Linguists Translation Team.
  • Request for all Community Translators: Please join the CT Project mailing list!
    • Request for a group notice in the Second Life CT Projects group with a reminder to join the mailing list.
  • Localization Central (128, 128, 0)D is now open for the public. Suggested improvements:
    • A meeting area so meetings of linguist groups can take place and don't have to be in Tenera anymore.
    • An information area about current translation projects and how to take part
    • In order to be able to test the viewer settings, different 16m² parcels are needed. These are
      • one parcel with 'no build', 'no script', 'no fly', 'no voice', 'no push'
      • one parcel with banlines
      • one parcel with 'no object entry'
      • one parcel without parcel media, one with 'image', one with 'audio', one with 'video', one with 'web' as parcel media and one with a music stream (all next to each other).
      • one parcel where it's allowed to change its name as well as the classified/land information (to test i18n test strings)
      • a parcel with terraforming allowed
      • a parcel to buy/sell (with instructions to set to 'sell' again after it's bought)
      • a bigger parcel where build & script are allowed (for groupmembers). Sandboxlike.
  • Decided on a Google group instead of a Yahoo group to manage a mailing list for mentor linguist (non-CT) stuff
    • Link is: http://groups.google.com/group/mentor-linguists
    • Decided to require the Tao of Volunteers for posting there
    • In order to manage the list, it's suggested to indicate
      • language project the message is about
      • language the message is written in
    • via iso codes. Example
      • [de_en]: German project, mail is written in English
      • [es_fr]: Spanish project, mail is written in French
  • Request to help out with LSL Category Localization
  • Discussion about renaming the 'Mentor Linguists' group or merging it with the 'Second Life CT Projects' group.
    • Discussion will be continued in the CT-Project mailing list.
  • A note about all current translation projects should be sent.

December 11th 2008

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting (old agenda):

  • Request to participate in the LSL Portal Translation Project by providing translations for Mentor Linguists/LSL Cat L10n
  • Announced Rika Lindens Office Hours which are now related to Japanese localization projects
  • Pages in need of translation:
    • Viewer related: Security issues, Issue tracker (updated)
      These pages are linked via the Help menu of the viewer, so should be localized to all languages which got a localized viewer
    • Volunteer related: Tao of Volunteers (updated)
  • Raised attention to MISC-2018 i18n/l10n of events
  • Group related:
    • Restructuring of group roles. The Mentor will be cut off the current role titles. Other group titles will be considered since the current system has unsupported languages due to the limitation of the amount of roles within a group
    • Follow up on Subscribe-O-Matic -> A Yahoo Group will be considered and beta tested by the attendees.


November 13th 2008

Summary

A short summary of the topics and decisions of this meeting (old agenda):

  • Revision of the group.
    • Short summary about the history of the group
    • Listed and explained new goals of the group (focus on translations, umbrella group, opening for all interested Residents...).
    • Request to add linguists to the contact person table at the Mentor Linguists wiki page.
    • Request to found language specialized language groups (one per language) and add them to the table as well.
    • There is an interest in monthly meetings so those will be scheduled.
    • Suggestion to use a Subscribe-O-Matic tool to keep linguists up to date will be looked at.
  • Intro about the Community Translation Projects and request to advertise them amongst linguists.
  • Request to also link unofficial translations of the KB / Blog / etc. to the localized Help Portals.
  • Request to translate the terms located at Mentor Linguist Scribe Translation Project/HP L10N in order to support localization of Help Portal connected articles.
  • Request to help at CT-81 in order to create/formulate new Localization Functional Tests.
    • Note that only the first part of the Jira is in French, rest is in English and the Wiki page is in English too.
  • Free software that supports UTF-8 encoding and which is therefor useful for localization work:
  • Explanation about the changes in Project:Languages and link to Video Tutorial
  • Explanation on the Articles in need of translation feature of Template:Multi-lang and introduction of the Localization Portal
    • Request to not create empty subpages for translations in order to keep this categories filled. In case subpages are created nevertheless, request to add those manually to the categories.