User talk:Rob Linden

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Category:Linden Lab Employees

Hi Rob,

I've made some proposals in discussion of Project_talk:Editing_Guidelines (I've no edit permission there, hence can't change myself). Would be nice if you'd have a look there and add the information to that page.

--Huney Jewell 05:58, 13 September 2007 (PDT)

Make the main page editable. Or, at least put a link to sculpted prims there. SL allows so much user content, why freak out about the wiki?

Also, I think there should be a generic Building category, which leads to an overview of prims, textures, sctips, clothes, animations, etc.

Lee Ponzu 19:31, 25 May 2007 (PDT)

I look forward to visiting you inworld, Rob. -Torley

Hi Rob. [edit times] seem to ahead by about 8 hours. eg. my 7pm edit says it was made at 3am tomorrow. A small detail. Dan Linden 19:35, 2 November 2006 (PST)

Er, I see this is because the server uses UTC time. Is this typical of most media wikis? Dan Linden 19:37, 2 November 2006 (PST)

Yes, most wikis (and global-use systems) use UTC internally, but you can change the displayed time via your my preferences link so that you see your local time (should you choose to do so). --Alison Wheels 02:20, 16 January 2007 (PST)
One thing I've had fun playing with is the PHP function date_default_timezone_set()- forces all time-related functions to work in the specified timezone :-D
SignpostMarv Martin 07:47, 16 January 2007 (PST)

could you please add the following wiki code to your page: [[Category:Linden Lab Employees|Rob Linden]], as well as any appropriate sub-categories that crop up.

SignpostMarv Martin 19:30, 8 January 2007 (PST)

Thankie for taking the time out to make it easier for everyone to see what everyone at Linden Lab does ^_^
SignpostMarv Martin 20:45, 8 January 2007 (PST)

Pseudo-Deletion Policy

Since articles need to be preserved due to, what I presume is a requirement of the Creative Commons license, I propose that a custom namespace such as 'RecycleBin' or 'Archived' be created (e.g. RecycleBin:Text from Inworld Notecards Archived:Text from Inworld Notecards , for the following reasons:

  1. MediaWiki's features should allow for it to made obvious to visitors that the article is no longer in use
  2. All articles in the hypothetical namespace should be sysop'd
    • Allowing all articles in the namespace to be backed up at a much, much lower frequency and priority
  3. Freeing up the original namespace for future use

SignpostMarv Martin 00:34, 11 January 2007 (PST)

LL emails- reachability vs SPAM

Considering what happened when I tried to send an email to both you and Pathfinder, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on including LL Employee emails in their user pages.

While it's not that hard to figure out in most cases, it would make it easier for the addresses to be found (hello custom hCard templates), but would also result in the addresses being easier to be found by SPAM crawlers.

I'm assuming that Linden Lab has some anti-spam measures available to them, but are they sufficient enough to hold up to the barrage that's likely to come with the addresses being indexed by google ?

SignpostMarv Martin 12:16, 15 January 2007 (PST)

request to block editing of the SL TOS

As per my to-do list, I've transferred and wikified the SL Terms of Service. Since this is a legal document, it makes sense for it to be blocked from editing by non-sysops, and as my to-do list notes, housing the Terms of Service on the Wiki will make it easier for peeps to track changes :-)

SignpostMarv Martin 13:07, 17 January 2007 (PST)

moving Source archive to Downloads

Umm.... won't this confuse things with as you didn't put any disambiguation in ? I'm guessing Client source downloads or Second Life Viewer downloads (source) would've been better names.

SignpostMarv Martin 02:05, 6 February 2007 (PST)

LSL highlighter... Something wrong

There is something wrong with the LSL highlighter... I don't think it was designed to work in HTTPS. When I try to use the <lsl></lsl> tags it tells me I've lost my session information. And in the rare situation where it does accept the modification, it does not highlight the source. Strife Onizuka 07:07, 9 February 2007 (PST)

And something else that is strange, when looking at the Special:Version page, it changes back and forth between having extensions installed and not having extensions installed, along with the PHP version changing from 5.2.0-7 to 5.2.0-8; It is very strange.Strife Onizuka 07:15, 9 February 2007 (PST)
kinda like you have two copies of the software installed and it doesn't know which one to resolve the pages to.Strife Onizuka 07:16, 9 February 2007 (PST)
And I just got that weird session information problem when modifying this page. It must be because the two engines can't exchange the session information.Strife Onizuka 07:18, 9 February 2007 (PST)
Having the two engines fighting for dominance makes editing pages nigh impossible. Strife Onizuka 08:02, 9 February 2007 (PST)
I've asked it to be disabled. -- Rob Linden 22:22, 9 February 2007 (PST)
Not sure what happened there, other then the wiki seems to be running on two different web servers (load balancing? One appeared to have been updated, while the other was not. I've replicated the this wiki install on my server (I went with the 1.9.1 MediaWiki, I can redo with a 1.8 if needed) And everything seems to be working fine. Including the Javascript fix from WikiPedia for lowercase titles: [1]llAbs Thraxis Epsilon 09:58, 12 February 2007 (PST)

Saw the update that this was now in place... I've updated the LSL syntax file LSL Syntax File to include the recently added LSL functions, removed the underline on links, and removed the "LSL_" prefix from functions. --Thraxis Epsilon 09:33, 28 November 2007 (PST)

I know you said LL didn't want to delete any articles but....

  1. Body parts redirects to Body part redirects to Body Part. The first two articles aren't of any use, they aren't being linked to by anything (other than the redirect from the first to the second article), and Dan Linden is the only person to have worked on all 3 articles, so there's not much need to keep them hanging around.
  2. The article redirects to categories created by Cube Linden are unneeded.
  3. Special:Unusedimages will be something to keep an eye on as time goes by.

SignpostMarv Martin 20:02, 9 February 2007 (PST)

Hi Rob! I suggested a template to mark articles as suggested for deletion at an office hour of yours some time ago. I implemented this template here and it adds articles to Category:Suggested For Deletion. You might want to link this category to the box in the lower right corner of the main page (About this wiki) so it's in the spot for users and admins. Greetings, --Zai Lynch 06:49, 26 March 2008 (PDT)

Talk:Editing Guidelines#Deletions.3F

Just a heads up that Talk:Editing Guidelines#Deletions.3F could do with an "official" response.
SignpostMarv Martin 20:41, 10 February 2007 (PST)


I'm not going to make a big fuss about it, but I'd prefer if, per the Editing Guidelines, that the page just be called "LLRand"

Rob, the main reason we didn't do that is because Linden Lab already had a lot of the LSL function names taken with their own pages on the subject, with internal development notes on the functions rather than scripting documentation. Gigs Taggart 20:10, 11 February 2007 (PST)
That makes it even worse. Does it make sense to a newcomer that the difference between LLRand and LSL LLRand is that the first is development notes, and the second is a reference? Let's figure out a better way of disambiguating than that. I would rather that we figure out how to refactor the two pages to merge the appropriate information, and then break out other information into separate articles. -- Rob Linden 21:57, 11 February 2007 (PST)
I only know of one conflict and that is with llEmail. Since the discussion over the namespaces issue is still pretty much unresolved, I was going to burn that bridge when I was content with the state of the content (3 -> 6 months). Because of how the pages and templates are written, moving the content only involves the extra work of changing 3 very small templates (assuming people used the templates). The namespace debate doesn't keep me awake at night. Strife Onizuka 22:21, 11 February 2007 (PST)
PS the problem I mentioned before isn't with the highlighter I don't think but with how PHP & MediaWiki are setup, still getting that session data lost problem.
This would be where disambiguation comes into play. Residents are likely to be more familiar with the LSL function rather than the internal workings, so you'd go for llEmail and llEmail (OSSL) or llEmail (source code).
SignpostMarv Martin 03:07, 12 February 2007 (PST)
It seems the discussion over the namespace issue has now moved to the forums
SignpostMarv Martin 19:52, 14 February 2007 (PST)

Adam Rakosi

Please delete all of Adam Rakosi's recent contributions as copyvio from LSLWiki. Gigs Taggart 12:32, 16 February 2007 (PST)

Why is article reversion not sufficient?
SignpostMarv Martin 06:01, 17 February 2007 (PST)
The content was copied from one of the LSL Wiki Mirrors, so the copyright is not clear, it can't be used here. The same would hold true for any other SL Wiki that did not have a clear Copyright statement for submitted works. Thraxis Epsilon 10:22, 17 February 2007 (PST)
If you are feeling adventurous you can cross reference material found on the wikis with the LSL manual. It's been common for a long time to borrow from it. Suppose someone should ask LL if they are ok with this happening here. I'll do that now. Strife Onizuka 10:28, 17 February 2007 (PST)

LSL Guide

For a long time material found in various public LL sources has been used on the wiki without expressed permission. The three main sources for illegitimate LSL content have been: the LSL Guide, the SL client, the 'keyword.ini' file. In the past this was allowed/ignored. The goal has never been to usurp LL's rights but to provide accurate documentation from the most knowledgeable source. I can understand if LL is a bit uneasy, it was done unethically, but it would be a greatly benefit to the community if LL would allow the copying to continue. Strife Onizuka 10:50, 17 February 2007 (PST)

Anything from within the client is now covered by the GPL.
SignpostMarv Martin 11:51, 17 February 2007 (PST)
Rob said it was OK to take the copyright notice off the function template, so any of the LSL documentation in the client is apparently OK to release under CC:By:SA too. Gigs Taggart 17:17, 17 February 2007 (PST)
That makes things easy. Strife Onizuka 16:22, 18 February 2007 (PST)

Delete copyright violation

Please delete List as it contains taint from the old wiki. Gigs Taggart 09:14, 19 February 2007 (PST)

Simple Bug Fix

Hello, there is a bug in the LSO interpretter that currently crashes scripts. I've tracked down the problem and it is a simple one line fix which I reported using JIRA. Despite this simplicity, it keeps getting over looked in patches and updates to the server code. Since you work with the source code, please, please, please bring this to the appropriate Linden's attention so it doesn't keep getting overlooked. I have a project I'm working on that needs this functionality fixed. Here are the relevant report IDs:


Liden Lab ID: SL-35318

Thank you, Kibble Ahn 01:25, 20 March 2007 (PDT)

Bug Triage Agenda

I reviewed many entries so far. I started to collect them: Bug_triage/Agenda - Dzonatas Sol 11:41, 11 May 2007 (PDT)

Protected Page Edit Request

Hey, if it's alright, I was just going to update the news about the new viewer release on the Main_Page. --Fox Diller 14:32, 23 May 2007 (PDT)

Server Time

The server time on the wiki cluster is wrong. Each machine seems to have a different time and it's effecting the ordering of revisions. I think it happened around 13:45 GMT, which around the time I lost my session history on an edit (and that edit got back dated to before the one i was responding to !_!). WEB-239 -- Strife Onizuka 01:15, 21 July 2007 (PDT)

Subpage links?

Hi, I was trying to organize the pages for the Architecture Working Group using subpages, but it doesn't seem like they are turned on for the main namespace. For example, linking to the "[[/test]]" subpage (/test) produces a link to User talk:Rob Linden/test. But doing this from the main namespace doesn't seem to work - see Architecture Working Group/Meeting 1 2007-9-13, where linking to "[[/Agenda]]" creates a link that tries to find the article which is named "/Agenda" instead of linking to Architecture Working Group/Meeting 1 2007-9-13/Agenda. Would it be easy to enable subpages for the main namespace, or should I find some other solution? Thanks! Celierra Darling 07:47, 10 October 2007 (PDT)

@Celierra: Although your entry here is one year old and you most probably won't read this reply: Have a vote on WEB-897.
Zai signature.png Lynch (talk|contribs) 01:17, 2 December 2008 (UTC)

Namespace Request to enable Wikification

Rob, may we have a namespace that enables wikification. I noticed your update in Project:Editing Guidelines after some work was done, so we obvious need to move the pages to another namespace to help make changes more concise by the use of {{namespace:...}} inclusions. See the Asset page for an example with the description and the Architecture_Working_Group_Glossary#Asset entry to notice how such wikification can help prevent redundant or sprawled discussion and really long pages. Please, note the similar request at Zero's Office Hours. Dzonatas Sol 16:29, 19 October 2007 (PDT)

Hi Dz, I actually would like to keep things in the same namespace. I think creating a new namespace will actually encourage sprawl; just having the sprawl occur in a different namespace isn't very helpful. See my comments in these two places:
-- Rob Linden 16:43, 19 October 2007 (PDT)
  • Actually, just wanted the wiki ability to include pages and thought a namespace was the answer. I re-read the wiki docs and noticed I missed (and forgot about) a detail that allows the ability in the main namespace. (the extra colon) I'll update them. Dzonatas Sol 17:44, 19 October 2007 (PDT)

GFDL Licensed Content

I'm aware it's a bit of a snafu- does it help I created the wikipedia article in the first place ?[2]

SignpostMarv Martin 14:53, 16 November 2007 (PST)
Only a little bit. Please go back to Wikipedia, find the last version that only you edited, and use that as a new starting point here. You have the right to relicense anything you personally wrote under whatever license you want to; you just can't do that for the edits from anyone else. -- Rob Linden 14:59, 16 November 2007 (PST)


Hi, Who is responsible for the map API? I have to yell at them for not making a TG map api, which has caused Katharine Berry, creator of AJaxLife, much frustration, among other things, and forced her to quit. Chilko Tardis TG

Request to delete one of my subpages due to copyright issues

Strife brought to my attention that one of my subpages User:Gordon Wendt/PureEvil had copyright issues in regards to your notice about copying from LSLwiki, He has already blanked the page however the data is still in the history so I was wondering if you could do a delete on that page. Thanks. Gordon Wendt 23:01, 9 December 2007 (PST)

Thanks for taking care of that. Gordon Wendt 21:12, 11 December 2007 (PST)

Creating a Help portal

  • --Please see my question here:

--Jaszon Maynard 20:22, 26 February 2008 (PST)

RSS on the wiki?

Since I'm really excited about the implementation of video content in the wiki, I'm curiouse if there is a chance to implement RSS feedsas well. What I had in mind: an RSS Feed for the SL Blog on the main page and another feed of the VTeam Blog at the Volunteer Portal. I found an Extension:RSS here on the MediaWiki homepage. Would that be possible to implement? Greetings, --Zai Lynch 12:26, 5 April 2008 (PDT)

Implementing RSS is a possibility, but please submit it as a feature request in JIRA. Thanks! -- Rob Linden 21:21, 19 May 2008 (PDT)
Yeah, realized it about three days after the the posting at the talk page and made one: WEB-590 :-)
Greetz, --Zai Lynch(talk|contribs) 23:29, 19 May 2008 (PDT)
Oh, btw.: could you have a look over here? Thx =)
--Zai Lynch(talk|contribs) 23:31, 19 May 2008 (PDT)

SSL and IP Session locking

You once asked about locking sessions to specific IP addresses so that SSL could be disabled. If that's what it takes to not have to resubmit edits when the wiki timesout, by all means please do it. -- Strife Onizuka 11:53, 19 May 2008 (PDT)

There's not a simple setting to flip. Code would have to be written and tested. Until there's at least a plugin that someone else can be the guinea pig for, I'm not inclined to deploy it here.
Also, I don't think this has anything to do with wiki timeouts. For what it's worth, what I've had luck doing when it looked like an edit was about to be lost was to hit reload on the posted page. In Firefox, that prompts you "The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA....To resend the data hit Ok. Otherwise hit Cancel." Hitting "ok" will actually post the information. -- Rob Linden 21:21, 19 May 2008 (PDT)
Yeah I just refresh but it's kinda annoying to have to refresh multiple times until it actually goes. But I must say, it's much better then when we had the Tiki which would timeout your session, not tell you, and loose your edit when it redirected you to the login page. -- Strife Onizuka 00:21, 20 May 2008 (PDT)
With respect to the timeouts, we're still looking at it. Thought we had it fixed, and it has been better in the past week or so, but I have gotten reports of continued trouble that our hosters have been looking at. -- Rob Linden 17:10, 24 January 1931 (PST)
Rob, are you in the 1930's o.o Emma 11:16, 21 September 2008 (PDT)

garbage collection on old, unlinked images

Hi Rob- I've been running optipng on the PNGs hosted on the SL Wiki, and noticed quite a few images that were better suited as JPEG have been uploaded quite a while ago, but are no longer linked to any articles.

I'm wondering if it seems logical to create a policy of removing old, unlinked images- particularly ones such as those found in Category:Images better suited as JPEG

~SignpostMarv Martin 14:36, 13 September 2008 (PDT)

I just wanted to say

Thanks Emma 11:15, 21 September 2008 (PDT)

Newbie Notes

I like your solution, it deals with the split nature of the hierarchy nicely. -- Strife (talk|contribs) 19:09, 6 December 2008 (UTC)


Heyas! =)
Just pinging since I'm not sure if it's still on your radar: Mediawiki talk:Breadcrumbs has some suggestion for help portal related breadcrumbs in traditional Chinese.
Greetz, Zai signature.png Lynch (talk|contribs) 20:42, 23 February 2009 (UTC)

OK, that was fast... thx! Zai signature.png Lynch (talk|contribs) 20:53, 23 February 2009 (UTC)

Template:Ossbuild-installers version numbers

I just updated the version numbers on that and wanted to let you know in case we still needed the older link for the Linux version. I updated Linux as well but if you need the older version please change that number back. GW (T|C) -- 22:06, 30 May 2009 (UTC)

Thanks for checking, Gordon! No need to preserve different version for Linux...that was (hopefully) a one-time glitch where we really wanted to get the latest build to Mac users especially, but the Linux build machine had fallen over and thus we didn't have a matching build. -- Rob Linden 22:19, 30 May 2009 (UTC)

OSS url format changeover

Rob, not sure if you got my ping on Sldev but due to a change in the URL structure for the OSS builds the template had to be out of date for a couple of days. I changed that tonight to be in the new format and up to date but if you get a second and could look over Template:Ossbuild-installers just so a second pair of eyes can make sure I didn't change something subtle that'll break links later I'd appreciate it. Thanks. GW (T|C) -- 06:29, 4 June 2009 (UTC)

Allowing individuals to edit their monobook.css and monobook.js files

Rob, we've discussed it before but I think I've figured out which settings needed to be modified to allow users to modify their personal js and css files so that they can do their own view when they're logged in.

In LocalSettings.php the following values need to be changed:

  • $wgAllowUserJs = true;
  • $wgAllowUserCss = true;

These settings are off by default (illogically in my opinion) so it's no surprise that nobody noticed them but they would be a powerful tool for advanced users with no real downside.

In full disclosure, the mediawiki documentation states that there may be load and security issues on the user's side but only if they blindly copy and paste code but that's true with any javascript and between the fact that only a few users (probably mainly Zai, Strife, and I) actually know this exists and how to use it and the fact that there are warnings and safeguards in place I don't see this an issue. Thanks. GW (T|C) -- 23:22, 25 June 2009 (UTC)

What's nice about this is that I don't think there's any chance of someone running across this and mistaking it for a mainstream option. You have to know javascript and/or css to get either of these to actually do anything and you have to act to make any changes so for 99.9999% of residents they won't even know this exists, for another tiny fraction they'll know it exists or run across it but not know how to use it. GW (T|C) -- 18:29, 26 June 2009 (UTC)
Is there a request in JIRA for this? -- Rob Linden 18:17, 26 June 2009 (UTC)
No because I figured A) that this is a change of 2 boolean values so it would be faster and easier just to request it directly, and B) most of my JIRA requests get ignored anyway. I'll go through the proper JIRA channels for this if I really have to but for changing 2 bool values it seems like pointless bureaucracy. GW (T|C) -- 18:45, 26 June 2009 (UTC)
a) I'm not the one who would be changing the booleans b) there is a substantial amount of investigation that someone here will have to do before changing the two bool values. You will have far more luck getting what you want if you work with us in a more constructive fashion. Thanks! -- Rob Linden 19:01, 26 June 2009 (UTC)
I'll create a feature request JIRA issue. I'm not trying to be difficult scratch that, I am trying to be difficult but admittedly that's the tactic that actually seems to get a response as long as it doesn't cross the line and if it does I know you'll call me on it. I'll post a link in reply as soon as I'm done. GW (T|C) -- 19:06, 26 June 2009 (UTC)
WEB-1187 is the issue on the topic. Thanks for putting up with me on this. I understand that you have to investigate to make sure it doesn't break anything including the strange tweaks you guys keep trying to do to all your software :) and hopefully this will be possible. GW (T|C) -- 19:13, 26 June 2009 (UTC)

Open source portal download links

Since we've always used the cutting edge template on the Open Source portal page up until the Snowglobe 1.0 release is there any way we can add that cleanly below the 1.0 release links so that people have access to both now that you've changed things around and turned the cutting edge template into the release template and created a new cutting edge template? That way we can really have it both ways and people who want cutting edge can still get it easily like before. GW (T|C) -- 03:18, 26 June 2009 (UTC)

That's fine. I just want to make sure that there's a clear delineation between what we've marked as ready for general use, and what the latest bleeding edge is, and that we always clearly offer the safer choice for those that prefer that. -- Rob Linden 18:17, 26 June 2009 (UTC)
I added the second set of links and changed the wording slightly to make it clear that the trunk links are alpha software and not always stable. GW (T|C) -- 19:15, 26 June 2009 (UTC)

Just wanted to draw your attention this way...

Snowglobe polished jpg.jpg -- Eddy (talk|contribs) 15:20, 8 August 2009 (UTC)

Now you've done it, your made the globe look so good that it shows just how cruddy the base looks. -- Strife (talk|contribs) 23:48, 8 August 2009 (UTC)

*actually coughs and splutters* Lolled a lot. What say thee Rob? -- Eddy (talk|contribs) 23:52, 8 August 2009 (UTC)

Hi EddyFragment - you man want to take a look at the logo design contest that just got underway here: - Rob Linden 23:46, 10 August 2009 (UTC)

Thanks Rob. I'm flattered that you would think it worth my while. -- Eddy (talk|contribs) 05:27, 11 August 2009 (UTC)

This is fun Snowglobe related youtube -- Eddy CUBE jpg.jpgEddy (talk|contribs) 04:50, 17 August 2009 (UTC)