Avatar | Bug Fixes | Communication | Community | Glossary | Land & Sim | Multimedia | Navigation | Object | Video Tutorials | Viewer | Wiki | Misc
What's an Infohub?
An Infohub, also known as a Welcome Area, is a place where Residents congregate and socialize, and there are usually kiosks providing Second Life information. Infohubs can be fun places to hang out and learn about the world if you're new, although silly stuff happens on occasion.
Note that there are special rules that apply to these locations.
Official Infohubs are owned by Linden Lab and many were built by Residents, but some Residents run their own, unofficial social spaces which they also call Infohubs.
Infohubs are represented on the World Map with blue i's, like this:
To show them, make sure that Infohub on the right-hand legend is checked.
|Tip: Sometimes you may see Infohub dots in other places, usually off the Mainland. These are really telehubs, special landing points for regions or estates. You cannot normally set your home location at these points. (In ancient times, there were telehubs on the mainland too.)|
What are all the official Infohubs?
- Ahern Welcome Area: AhernD, BonifacioD, DoreD, MorrisD
- Hanja Welcome Area: GukyeolD, HangeulD, HanjaD, IduD
- Teen Welcome Area: CardD, LewisD, NixD, PullmanD
- ClementinaD Governor Linden's Mansion by Steller Sunshine
- MahuluD volcano hub by Karsten Rutledge, operated by NCI
- MauveD emOt(i)Con by Chip Poutine
- Miramare InfohubD by Nova Albion City Slickers
- WengenD Chalet Linden snow lodge
- Ambat InfohubD by Osprey Therian
- Barbarossa InfohubD Blake Sea Ferry Terminal by LDPW
- BearD Dream Lodge by Stella Costello and Ravenelle Zugzwang
- BoardroomD by LDPW
- Braunworth InfohubD by Cottonteil Muromachi
- Castle Valeria InfohubD by LDPW
- Degrand InfohubD by LDPW
- Hau KodaD Bay City Municipal Aeroport by LDPW
- Helfell InfohubD and Fuerte de San Phillipe, by LDPW
- Hyannisport InfohubD by LDPW
- HylesD Swamp Infohub by Kim Anubis & Friends
- Iris InfohubD Heterocera Moth Temple
- Isabel InfohubD by the Shelter
- Moose Beach InfohubD by LDPW
- Pooley InfohubD preserved Pooley Stage area for early Linden-resident meetings
- Waterhead InfohubD preserved Hidden Lakes Telehub
- ZebrasilD volcano Infohhub by LDPW
Former or inactive hubs
While you can no longer set these locations as your home, some older accounts may still have home set there, and they are sometimes are used as hangouts.
- Anzere InfohubD by the Confederation of Democratic Simulators
- CalletaD Hobo Railroad Infohub by Orhalla Zander
- HansonD converted to parkland
- MurrayD rebuilt in 2010
- PlumD preserved early welcome area
- Ross InfohubD Memory Bazaar by Jessica Ornitz and Prokofy Neva
- Violet InfohubD experimental welcome area developed ca. 2008
- Warmouth InfohubD The Nerditorium by Lewis Nerd
- Korea Welcome Area: Korea1D, Korea2D, Korea3D, Korea4D
- OliveD GSLR railroad station
- PeriwinkleD GSLR railroad station
Linden Homes hubs
These were never activated as home points (Governor Linden keeps them in the Linden Homes estate, separate from the mainland). They contain information kiosks, sample textures to match the Linden Homes housing, and sometimes model homes.
- ElderglenD and clones ElderdaleD, EldervaleD
- MeadowbrookD and clones MeadowcreekD, RavenbrookD, BucksnortD
- Shareta OsumaiD and clones KitaD, Shareta HeightsD
- Tahoe SpringsD and clones Tahoe FieldsD, Valle GrandeD, Miss MuffetD
Can I find Infohubs through Search?
You can try!
- Choose World>Search and pick "Places" from the menu beside the "Search" button.
- Try search terms like "infohub", "hub", "welcome" or "governor".
- On the left column, change All Categories to Linden Location.
This shows most of the Infohubs, although some are listed using other keywords.
Is there anything else special I need to know?
You can set your home location at any mainland Infohub. If you don't have a home location set, World>Teleport Home will send you to a random infohub matching your maturity rating.