Community Translation Project/Office Hours/2009 09 01

From Second Life Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search


[13:01] Youri Ashton: hi lexie :)
[13:01] Lexie Linden: Hi! ㋡
[13:01] Radioactive Rosca: hi lexie
[13:01] Biancaluce Robbiani: Ciao ◕ ‿ ◕ Ciao
[13:01] Biancaluce Robbiani: lexie
[13:01] Lisa Lowe: hi lexie
[13:02] Lexie Linden:
[13:02] Zai Lynch: ellow =)
[13:02] Lexie Linden: How is everyone today?
[13:02] BlckCobra Shikami: Doing good, yet
[13:02] Youri Ashton: i noticed Zero has started his hour again as well :)
[13:02] Youri Ashton: same hour as this hour tho
[13:02] Lexie Linden: great
[13:02] Lexie Linden: oh hmmm
[13:03] Dawny Daviau: ello all
[13:03] Youri Ashton: hello!
[13:03] Lexie Linden: brb..pulling some links together while the rest arrive : ))
[13:03] Lisa Lowe: hoi Dawny :)
[13:03] Youri Ashton: sure :)
[13:03] Dawny Daviau: hey Lisa :)
[13:04] Youri Ashton: we may have visitors today as well, non-translators
[13:04] BlckCobra Shikami: aliens?????
[13:05] BlckCobra Shikami: OMG, where is a mirror - is my hair ok? :-)
[13:05] Youri Ashton: no, your grandmom on a pogostick...
[13:05] Youri Ashton: lol
[13:05] Lexie Linden: What kind of visitors
[13:05] Youri Ashton: some peopel that were asking questions yesterday @ Mia's meeting, she sended them to your meeting
[13:06] Lexie Linden: ok well they wont have access here...maybe to my volunteer OH
[13:06] Youri Ashton: people... typoooo
[13:06] Lexie Linden: : ))
[13:06] Youri Ashton: lol, i know
[13:06] Lexie Linden: Ok first up: Did anyone get a chance to work on CT logo ideas?
[13:06] Lexie Linden: I again...forgot to remind you, sorry!! lol
[13:06] BlckCobra Shikami: that's my suggestion
[13:07] Lisa Lowe: I forgot :)
[13:07] Biancaluce Robbiani: sorry I was away and did not attend last meeting...
[13:07] Youri Ashton: didnt have the time to do anything yet Lexie, but i do know there are more groups wanting a logo like the snowglobe group and documentation group
[13:07] Lexie Linden: That is an interesting logo!
[13:07] Lexie Linden: What I will do is open a pjira and let everyone attach images. Sound ok?
[13:08] Radioactive Rosca: i'm very bad in design and also in ideas... eheheh
[13:08] BlckCobra Shikami: I tried to stick with the basic idea of the Second Life Logo
[13:08] Youri Ashton: sounds good to me Lexie
[13:08] Dawny Daviau: yes it blends in nicely Cobra
[13:08] BlckCobra Shikami: hmmm, could have saved the L$10 thn LOL
[13:08] Boroondas Gupte: The Second Life Logo is trademarked
[13:08] Youri Ashton: lots of great artists currently working on other team logo's, so why not us as well?
[13:08] Radioactive Rosca: a hand and a diccionary?
[13:08] BlckCobra Shikami: yes, I read 3 hours in the documents what I could use of it
[13:08] Lexie Linden: ok I will get that done and careful using the trademark
[13:09] BlckCobra Shikami: and I decided the only thing I can use is the colors and typographiy in parts
[13:09] BlckCobra Shikami: actually this sucks big time ... we are not in a challenge with LL
[13:09] BlckCobra Shikami: 3 hours reading to see what I am allowed to do with the logo and waht not
[13:09] Youri Ashton: I think its good for the logo question to be added to the blogs of us all, anyone that has a blog, should mention it at least. that way more peopel will read it
[13:09] sergen Davies: Hi all!
[13:10] Dawny Daviau: hiya
[13:10] Youri Ashton: more people reading it, the more will work on it
[13:10] BlckCobra Shikami: this whole text passages look like a bunch of lawyers had a lot of fun for months
[13:10] Lexie Linden: If we find one that the majority would like to use and it is questionable due to trademark etc...I will run it be legal and find out if it is ok or what we need to fix
[13:10] Radioactive Rosca: hi sergen
[13:10] Youri Ashton: hi sergen
[13:10] Youri Ashton: takea seat :)
[13:10] Lexie Linden: Hi Sergen : )
[13:10] Lexie Linden: I can always hear you arrive lol
[13:10] Yann Dufaux: okey i,m back sorry discussion on IRC .. for one little moment ㋡
[13:11] Boroondas Gupte: would be nice if there was some easy way to get licences for LL trademarks
[13:11] Lexie Linden: I will send notice to group on that pjira
[13:11] sergen Davies: lexie :)
[13:11] Lexie Linden: Next up is pjira and more pjiras!
[13:12] Lexie Linden: For Spanish and Portuguese there is a new jira for images
[13:12] Lexie Linden: These images will be candidates for the new homepages
[13:12] Lexie Linden: 3 will be picked early October
[13:12] Lexie Linden: jira: Spanish
[13:13] Lexie Linden: for BR Portuguese
[13:13] Youri Ashton: FFS first griefer attacks and now windows update killing every program to reboot ><
[13:13] Lexie Linden: There are format specs to follow but this could be a fun task
[13:13] Lexie Linden: : )) The more images the better
[13:13] Biancaluce Robbiani: ok i will try to work on some ideas...
[13:13] Lexie Linden: I have not heard anything about images for the other languages yet
[13:14] Biancaluce Robbiani: I heard about it now
[13:14] Lexie Linden: : ))
[13:14] Lisa Lowe: Are these for the general opening page?
[13:14] Zai Lynch: Simone is looking for themes via the translator forum
[13:14] Biancaluce Robbiani: and I have had issues with the feeds from the blog too
[13:14] Lexie Linden: These are for the Spanish and BR Portuguese homepage, yes
[13:15] Lexie Linden: oh the feeds are difficult if you are in a closed forum and dont use a certain kind of reader
[13:15] Lexie Linden: There is a thread on the CT forum about that
[13:15] Youri Ashton: I think it may be wise to have multiple logo versions. 1 main logo (basicly showing its the CT logo), then each language team will have their own flag in the background. perhaps also some other versions. Ofcourse ONLY allowed for CT members
[13:15] Biancaluce Robbiani: It was all ok till august 19... then nothing came anymore... maybe an issue with the new launch?
[13:16] Lexie Linden: Thanks Zai - I may poke group about Simones thread also
[13:16] Zai Lynch: there is the chance to subscribe to an email notification thingy. i'm currently using that instead of a feed, since google reader doesn't support private feeds (anymore)
[13:16] Lexie Linden: ahh yes
[13:16] Zai Lynch: welcome
[13:16] Lexie Linden: That might be a good work around
[13:16] Biancaluce Robbiani: yep
[13:17] Monochrome Tomorrow: hello everyone ㋡
[13:17] Youri Ashton: hi mono :)
[13:17] Zai Lynch: heyas =)
[13:17] Biancaluce Robbiani: Lexie if you have 2 minutes after the meeting i ve got 2 questions about mentoring...
[13:17] Lexie Linden: Also: there are 2 strings available for translation at : for Spanish, Italian, BR Portuguese, and Dutch
[13:17] Lexie Linden: Sure Bianca
[13:17] Biancaluce Robbiani: ty
[13:18] Lexie Linden: The 2 strings are related to when a new user picks their name and are needed asap
[13:18] Lexie Linden: Jump in if you can help please ㋡
[13:18] Lisa Lowe: ok
[13:18] Lexie Linden: ty!
[13:18] Biancaluce Robbiani: done tonight... express
[13:18] Lexie Linden: hehe
[13:18] Youri Ashton: okay, will try lexie :)
[13:18] Lisa Lowe: for the Dutch, we get a website also ;)
[13:18] Youri Ashton: oh
[13:19] Youri Ashton: just 2 stings
[13:19] Youri Ashton: ill take the dutch one
[13:19] Lexie Linden: Those of you that worked on the Quick Start Guides:
[13:19] Lexie Linden: Noelle has attached the pdfs now and they need a proofread.
[13:20] Lexie Linden: If you could go back and check those for errors? Best if only one person reviews it. If you see someone already doing is ok to skip it
[13:20] Lexie Linden: Noelle left notes on those jiras ( I dont have the numbers handy)
[13:20] Boroondas Gupte: why that?
[13:20] Lexie Linden: Why only one reviewer?
[13:20] Boroondas Gupte: yes
[13:20] Boroondas Gupte: aren't more eyes more probably to find all errors?
[13:21] Boroondas Gupte: (I'm new at CT)
[13:21] Lexie Linden: I am not sur ewhy she changed it for this. Yes normally it is best to have more eyes on it.
[13:21] Youri Ashton: aight, Lisa, could you see if it's a good translation please? just to be sure
[13:21] Lexie Linden: I will find out why. She set it up and is now gone for the day
[13:22] Lexie Linden: I would think if you see something that is proofed already but you spot errors could add a comment
[13:23] Youri Ashton: oh, that reminds me. now the Dutch website will be there soon as well, I was wondering of the Dutch people having their own welcome center, since a lot don't know English yet, or not enough. is that possible? Ill be willing to help out building it
[13:23] Lexie Linden: If the Dutch want to form a gateway or that type area they should talk with Katrin Linden : ))
[13:24] Dawny Daviau: there is one
[13:24] Lisa Lowe: oh ok
[13:24] Lexie Linden: *additional one
[13:24] Youri Ashton: no dawny, that isnt a official one
[13:24] Dawny Daviau: ahh ok
[13:24] Youri Ashton: thanks for the LM tho
[13:24] Lisa Lowe: that's a commercial one, Dawny
[13:24] Lexie Linden: But right..if they want to be official they should go to Katrin and find out what is needed
[13:24] Youri Ashton: LL currently has no official Dutch place
[13:24] Youri Ashton: okay, after this meeting ill talk to her :)
[13:25] Youri Ashton: thanks for that Lexie
[13:25] Lexie Linden: Also note: the quick start guide proofreading is requested by Thursday end of day
[13:25] Lisa Lowe: might be interesting for all dutch mentors :)
[13:25] Youri Ashton: Lisa, you want to help out as well?
[13:25] Zai Lynch: there are three dutch CGs, according to #Dutch_-_Nederlands
[13:25] Lexie Linden: I take that says Wed
[13:25] Youri Ashton: thats what I was thinking as well :D
[13:25] Lexie Linden: TY Zai!
[13:25] Zai Lynch: welcome =)
[13:26] Lexie Linden: should be the list
[13:26] Youri Ashton: none of those are official
[13:26] Boroondas Gupte: Wednsday as in ... tomorrow?
[13:26] Youri Ashton: all are resident owned
[13:26] Zai Lynch: all are official CGs when listed on that page. it's maintained by katrin
[13:26] Lisa Lowe: I have only known one so
[13:26] Zai Lynch: yes
[13:26] Zai Lynch: resident owned but official CGs
[13:26] Youri Ashton: so if they stop, then those sims will dissapear as well
[13:26] Lexie Linden: Yes in tomorrow. I know..short notice
[13:27] Youri Ashton: I think it's best to have a LL owned one instead, that will be up for sure without breaking down
[13:27] Yann Dufaux: Zai, i help somes french CG managers, and i,m happy with this ㋡
[13:27] Youri Ashton: I been to that benelux one today, it has even zyngo machines and other things
[13:27] Lexie Linden: I think Residents do an awesome job on the CGs
[13:27] Lexie Linden: It is a lot to take care of
[13:28] Lisa Lowe: 0031 had it's management problems before also.
[13:28] Lexie Linden: Takes much teamwork : ))
[13:28] Youri Ashton: not really a place where a newbie should be near, I was thinking of making a dutch looking place. Just like the ground Chiyo has for Japan
[13:28] Yann Dufaux: yes .. the team works are very very nice and usual on sl ㋡
[13:29] Youri Ashton: thought 0031 was kicked off the grid
[13:29] Lisa Lowe: creating a CG is lot of work
[13:29] Lexie Linden: I think it is a new 0031
[13:29] Youri Ashton: nah, im a fast builder. i should have things up in no time
[13:29] Youri Ashton: only script parts are a problem
[13:29] Lexie Linden:
[13:29] Lisa Lowe: it has to be good, not fast ;P
[13:30] Youri Ashton: besides, I think you would be a great addition on the sim as well Lisa :)
[13:30] Lexie Linden: Top Contributors pages are updated! Woot! (except for French..waiting on those names right now)
[13:30] Lexie Linden:
[13:30] Lexie Linden: See them here ㋡
[13:30] Youri Ashton: lol, Bulli and Lisa still on top :p
[13:31] Lexie Linden: There has been a lot of last minute rush rush tasks done and it is all really appreciated
[13:31] Lisa Lowe: makes it easy updating the page ;)
[13:31] Lexie Linden: I know many have helped and it is really hard not to just put everyone on the page
[13:31] Lexie Linden: lol
[13:31] Lexie Linden: Everyone is great
[13:31] Biancaluce Robbiani: ty lol
[13:31] Lexie Linden: : ))
[13:32] sergen Davies: yep Ty :)
[13:32] Youri Ashton: i didnt see much to translate, so think sending group notices would be wise as soon as there is something to do
[13:32] Biancaluce Robbiani blushes
[13:32] Youri Ashton: kinda not happening now
[13:32] Yann Dufaux: aw .. i give a robot part to all teams coworker ㋡
[13:32] Lexie Linden: I will pick that up again and send notices
[13:32] Youri Ashton: please do :)
[13:32] Radioactive Rosca: :-)
[13:33] Lisa Lowe: If you receive notices from the cT group in email, you can keep up also
[13:33] Lexie Linden: Sometimes if I get something that is needed asap..I IM people I see online. But I want everyone to have a chance to help out so I will ask that we reallyyyy try to give more time for translations
[13:33] Youri Ashton: notices by email? never got any lately
[13:33] Lexie Linden: Then the group notices about cts will be more helpful
[13:33] Lexie Linden: If you are a watcher on a task you should get an email
[13:34] Lisa Lowe: there hasn't been much for dutch lately either, youri
[13:34] Lexie Linden: Maybe it is going to a different email or getting caught as spam?
[13:34] Lexie Linden: There will be more coming very soon so I will make sure you all get the info better and quicker if possible
[13:34] BlckCobra Shikami: I won't tell on anyone, but I saw Yann eating mails a while ago :-)
[13:34] Lexie Linden: lol
[13:35] Biancaluce Robbiani: ahahah
[13:35] Radioactive Rosca: looool
[13:35] Lexie Linden: Next thing was an early summary of that survey I sent out. I am SURE you all took the survey, right?? :P
[13:35] Biancaluce Robbiani: i ve received group notice via mail but i could not do the survey yet cause it was an attachment...
[13:35] BlckCobra Shikami: 100%
[13:35] Radioactive Rosca: yes
[13:36] Zai Lynch: yepp ^^
[13:36] Lisa Lowe: yes
[13:36] Lexie Linden: I plan to keep that survey open about a week and will be poking the group and sending emails as well
[13:36] BlckCobra Shikami: more interesting is who of those usually not here took it
[13:36] Lexie Linden: I think that many in the CT group have taken it. I also emailed a portion already.
[13:36] Youri Ashton: did you hear anything from the 2010 viewer yet lexie? I hear it's not that long for official release
[13:37] Lexie Linden: So far about 54 results
[13:37] Youri Ashton: Q told me
[13:37] BlckCobra Shikami: 54 is not bad
[13:37] Lexie Linden: I dont have any updated info Youri
[13:37] BlckCobra Shikami: considering many will come online later
[13:37] Youri Ashton: ah okay
[13:37] Youri Ashton: i guess we all have to wait a little longer then :p
[13:37] Lexie Linden: I grabbed a couple screenshots for you to look at of the initial minute
[13:37] Youri Ashton: o0o, cool :)
[13:38] Youri Ashton: I noticed the new hud from the picture i saw
[13:38] Youri Ashton: complete new style
[13:38] Lexie Linden: Here is the first graph:
[13:38] Biancaluce Robbiani: done
[13:39] Youri Ashton: hmm.. i get a weird screen on
[13:39] Lexie Linden: It looks like many think more time is needed to get translations done. I can understand that!
[13:39] Youri Ashton: some graphic thing
[13:39] Lexie Linden: Most feel they are aware of available things to do
[13:40] Zai Lynch: as far as I see, most think it varies or it's rarely true
[13:40] Zai Lynch: *time
[13:40] Youri Ashton: oh, lol. thats for the thing we had to fill in
[13:40] Lisa Lowe: I added some comments about the translation process and that it may scare new ones away.
[13:40] Lexie Linden: ohh are right. /me puts on glasses
[13:40] Youri Ashton: thought pics of the 2010 viewer :p
[13:40] Youri Ashton: haha
[13:40] Youri Ashton: my bad
[13:41] Lexie Linden: Id like most to feel the process is not an issue
[13:41] Lexie Linden: Some still think it is and I agree
[13:41] Lexie Linden: Especially for new translators. But, we have talked about that and know it needs to be clearer
[13:42] Lisa Lowe: Once they have to install programs and all, not everyone like that stuff
[13:42] Lexie Linden: right
[13:42] Yann Dufaux: Lexie, i can take an initiative? ㋡
[13:42] Lexie Linden: The next graph is:
[13:42] Yann Dufaux: windlight wiki from Torley* ㋡
[13:43] Lexie Linden: It looks like there is a decent portion that participate when asked directly
[13:44] Lisa Lowe: if I look at that graph, the wiki should be translated completely by
[13:44] Radioactive Rosca: :-)
[13:44] Lexie Linden: (I have not looked over these til now either..just grabbed them before meeting)
[13:44] Youri Ashton: i help people everyday, usually do not much else all day :p
[13:44] Lexie Linden: Yes..seems so Lisa lol
[13:44] Yann Dufaux: because i love this windlight setup and i need to talk with Torley if i can translate in french ㋡
[13:44] Youri Ashton: besides some LL work
[13:44] Biancaluce Robbiani: I think that people translate almost when requested if we think as official translations
[13:45] Lexie Linden: Do you think it is uncomfortable if you get asked directly? Sometimes I do that
[13:45] Lexie Linden: Usually only for "rush" tasks
[13:45] Radioactive Rosca: i like that
[13:45] Zai Lynch: all wiki articles (except the ones of the KB2Wiki pilot) are generally up for translation for anyone who's interested
[13:45] Youri Ashton: not at all for me :)
[13:45] Lisa Lowe: saves me digging for emails :)
[13:46] Lexie Linden: Right Zai..I wish the whole wiki was translated!!!!
[13:46] Lexie Linden: lol
[13:46] Youri Ashton: I usually dont give it extra priority if not asked
[13:46] Zai Lynch: ^_^
[13:46] Biancaluce Robbiani: answers are on demand after seeding... but i noticed that italians do not use it so often :(
[13:46] Lisa Lowe: I just meant to say, be a little carefull with interpreting these graphs based on surveys....
[13:47] Youri Ashton: you can start with that bianca :)
[13:47] Lexie Linden: yes, its more of an idea vs hard data
[13:47] Lisa Lowe: right
[13:47] Lexie Linden: I hope we will get plenty more responses and get a better picture
[13:47] Lexie Linden: I know there is not alot of activity on Answers for soem languages.
[13:47] Lexie Linden: some*
[13:48] Lisa Lowe: yeah. how you phrase the questions has a lot of influence on the outcome usually.
[13:48] Youri Ashton: indeed lexie, there should be at least 195 translators, so just a fraction of that responded so far
[13:48] Lexie Linden: I think as we begin to do PR on it we will see a change overall in activity
[13:48] Lexie Linden: True Lisa
[13:48] Biancaluce Robbiani: Youri we have a big big unofficial website with a forum in Italy that worked as answer provider for almost 4 years and it is very difficult to change the habit for italian people to post there instead on
[13:49] Lexie Linden: It is very hard to change what people are used to
[13:49] Youri Ashton: lol, why so hard?
[13:49] Lexie Linden: Habit
[13:49] Lexie Linden: : ))
[13:49] Lisa Lowe: Sounds like a good initiative anyway, Bianca :)
[13:49] Biancaluce Robbiani: yep
[13:49] Zai Lynch: also the target audience. french, germans and japanese linguists will answer these differnetly than the rest. since these three groups got their dedicated linden and usually got way more open tasks than the other languages. therefor they will less likely say that they don't know where to find tasks
[13:49] Zai Lynch: etc
[13:49] Youri Ashton: lol, i used to do other things as well, but i keep changing :)
[13:49] Lexie Linden: That is true Zai
[13:50] Lexie Linden: The other languages are somewhat stuck with me right now :p
[13:50] Zai Lynch: hehe
[13:50] Lisa Lowe: lol
[13:50] Lexie Linden: But I think what you said makes sense
[13:50] Lexie Linden: I also think it is fine to link back and forth from 3rd party forums to Answers and vice versa
[13:51] Lexie Linden: Many languages have created their own spaces and are happy with them
[13:51] Lexie Linden: Like Italian ㋡
[13:51] Youri Ashton: even if its habbit, why do it if you cant change your habbit and post it in the wrong place? it only will delay work and makes work harder for others. not even mentioning the residents that need that language
[13:51] sergen Davies: :)
[13:51] BlckCobra Shikami: I am sorry, I have to leave early today
[13:51] BlckCobra Shikami: bye all
[13:52] Biancaluce Robbiani: yes... they become a big bunch of SL friends too
[13:52] Youri Ashton: and please, its not ment to offend you :)
[13:52] Lexie Linden: Thanks for coming
[13:52] Dawny Daviau says Bye Bye !
[13:52] Youri Ashton: bye bye black
[13:52] Lexie Linden: Youri - I think it takes time
[13:52] Zai Lynch: cu BlckCobra! *waves*
[13:52] Radioactive Rosca: bye obra
[13:52] sergen Davies: bye BlckCobra
[13:52] Radioactive Rosca: Cobra
[13:52] Biancaluce Robbiani: byeee
[13:52] Yann Dufaux: oh bye bye lexie, sorry all i can't give a part of robot to all is copy but no transfer ㋡
[13:52] Lexie Linden: As we get more results on the survey I will bring in more graphs etc : ))
[13:52] Youri Ashton: could be lexie. how long has it been now? for the change to post on
[13:53] Youri Ashton: you can send em the LM yann :)
[13:53] Lexie Linden: Well, Answers is not even official yet technically
[13:53] Youri Ashton: that robot isnt that expansive afterall :)
[13:53] Lexie Linden: Soon though
[13:54] Lexie Linden: I do not think we should push anyone to use a certain resource? I think it is what works best for each person or group. Over time a group might try put Answers or other resources.
[13:55] Lexie Linden: Sure it would be nice to have everyone in one spot but..we did not offer that before so they worked around it : ))
[13:55] Lexie Linden: And thats good
[13:55] Lisa Lowe: What is the status on promotion of the CT group?
[13:55] Youri Ashton: agreed lexie, however, there comes a time that there is no alternative then push. else the italian team gets behind to much which isnt good either
[13:56] Lexie Linden: Lisa: I want to do a MOTD and more links by the end of this month. I also wanted to do the official launch of Answers and have some RHN info ready so it all kind of ties in.
[13:56] Lisa Lowe: ok
[13:56] Lexie Linden: I will be redoing the CT application within the next week or so. So really anytime after that we can promote
[13:56] Biancaluce Robbiani: I let people choose where to ask and italians use very often to IM me or other mentors for every kind of issue...
[13:57] Lexie Linden: Did anyone have questions or thoughts before we run out of time?
[13:57] Youri Ashton: well, the redoing of the CT application should be a little more difficicult
[13:57] Zai Lynch: just wanted to mention that I put a discussion in the translators forum Re: Brazillian vs European Portuguese
[13:57] Youri Ashton: i mean, its much to easy to get in now
[13:57] Lexie Linden: ok Youri..any ideas?
[13:58] Lexie Linden: Yes I saw Zai! I will respond there soon
[13:58] Zai Lynch: it's @ #8625
[13:58] Zai Lynch: oki
[13:58] Youri Ashton: as i said last week, many just try to get in for the group tag
[13:58] Lexie Linden: That is hard to determine immediately
[13:58] Youri Ashton: hmm... what about a try out text? adding that may help. we all can chip in to check if they did actually do it right
[13:59] Youri Ashton: that makes sure we get someone that is actually able to do it
[13:59] Lexie Linden: That is one idea that was mentioned here before
[13:59] Zai Lynch: that will only result in less people joining, I guess. which would contra productive
[13:59] Youri Ashton: well, i sure wouldnt mind having that added
[13:59] Lisa Lowe: in time a weeding process like with SL mentors might be a better idea
[14:00] Lexie Linden: I think it might be a good idea to raise the bar a little but translations are not something we want to discourage either
[14:00] Lexie Linden: Thats possible too Lisa
[14:00] Youri Ashton: perhaps, we should get the new translators to meet inworld as well with the language team (or at least the leading people) to see if they are true and dont just want the tag
[14:00] Biancaluce Robbiani: it is easy to see if there is consistency in traslations so ... but then raises the problem of editing too many people work and check quality...
[14:01] Youri Ashton: dont have to be a cop so to say, but feel the new people out
[14:01] Youri Ashton: saves a lot of toruble later on
[14:01] Lexie Linden: It is often hard to get people to a meeting due to time zones. But I do see some value in trying that
[14:01] Zai Lynch: inactive members don't harm the project. wikipedia isn't kicking of inactive people either and they don't have any requirements to join. I don't think making it harder for people to get in, or having them kicked out will bring us any benefit
[14:02] Boroondas Gupte: I think instead of making it easier to start translating, it should be make easier to fix mistakes. Like, could CT members get permission to edit KB2Wiki articles directly on the wiki, without going though JIRA?
[14:02] Youri Ashton: well, for example a new Dutch translator wants to come in. then Bulli, Lisa or me for example can meet them. sicne its the same time zone
[14:02] Lisa Lowe: maybe do a CT weekend or so with info and a sim for meeting?
[14:02] Zai Lynch: KB2Wiki articles can already be added without jira
[14:02] Lexie Linden: That might be a good idea Lisa
[14:02] Youri Ashton: Lisa: wonderfull idea!
[14:02] Zai Lynch: ah, you mean translated?
[14:03] Youri Ashton: lets show peopel what we do and how they can join in.
[14:03] Youri Ashton: really good idea!
[14:03] Lisa Lowe: We also need to look into the whole process then and make it as simple as possible not to scare them of right away
[14:03] Lisa Lowe: *off
[14:03] Biancaluce Robbiani: edited i think you meant baroondas?
[14:03] Lexie Linden: It is a fine balance between having a standard and not scaring people off lol
[14:03] Boroondas Gupte: Zai, if I go to e.g. , I can only "view source", although I'm logged in
[14:03] Youri Ashton: each language team their own plot, seems to be best as well
[14:04] Youri Ashton: well, i think it will actually help Lexie
[14:04] Zai Lynch: yes, that's not part of the KB2Wiki program tho. we were talking of different things.
[14:04] Lexie Linden: I will bring these ideas to the team : ))
[14:04] Boroondas Gupte: oh
[14:04] Boroondas Gupte is confused now
[14:04] Biancaluce Robbiani: ty Lexie ...
[14:05] Youri Ashton: we dont want the peopel that will be running scared anyways, we need those that stick around and want to learn more about it
[14:05] Zai Lynch: KB2Wiki is currently just a few English Wiki articles. and these are treated with a "Flagged Revs" extension like the German WIkipedia. therefor you can edit them directly and the edit will be displayed when a reviewer looked at your edit
[14:05] Youri Ashton: if they run, you know for sure they are not interrested in the work, but just the linden bears and the group tags
[14:05] Lexie Linden: I understand what you mean Youri but as volunteers and NEW can be scary just to start out
[14:05] Zai Lynch: it's a test. when it suceeds, the translated articles might get the same treatment. that's up for discussion
[14:06] Lexie Linden: good info Zai
[14:06] Lexie Linden: thanks
[14:06] Zai Lynch: welcome
[14:06] Youri Ashton: oh, thats why people like us translators, and of course mentors, should be there
[14:06] Youri Ashton: not just lindens
[14:06] Youri Ashton: some people freak out if they are just between lindens
[14:06] Lexie Linden: I can bring these ideas up to the team and see what they think
[14:06] Lexie Linden: lol
[14:07] Biancaluce Robbiani: why? do they bite?
[14:07] Lexie Linden: I dont
[14:07] Lisa Lowe: Lexie, could you produce a list of active translators per language?
[14:07] Radioactive Rosca: l
[14:07] sergen Davies: lol
[14:07] Lexie Linden: I can Lisa
[14:07] Lexie Linden: I will add that to my list : ))
[14:07] Lisa Lowe: thanks
[14:07] Lexie Linden: I can add it to wiki
[14:07] Lisa Lowe: thats fine :)
[14:08] Youri Ashton: lindens in general dont get a good name thanks to mouth to mouth speech, influences most people and they will listen to experience of others. evne if its a bad call from those people
[14:08] Lisa Lowe: at least they can see who are working on what.
[14:08] Lexie Linden: right Lisa
[14:08] Lisa Lowe: *then
[14:08] Boroondas Gupte: So, if I find mistakes in such a non-EN article, what do I do? Try to find the JIRA issue where the origianl translation was made and comment there?
[14:09] Zai Lynch: would be the way to go... or comment on the discussion page.
[14:09] Lexie Linden: Zai is there any page ..
[14:09] Zai Lynch: wait a sec, I'll give you a list of all jiras
[14:09] Lexie Linden: hah thats what I was asking
[14:09] Biancaluce Robbiani: Zai is the resident expert boroondas ㋡
[14:10] Zai Lynch: there you go
[14:10] Boroondas Gupte: "resident expert"?
[14:10] Monochrome Tomorrow: Zai is a linden (incognito)? hehe
[14:10] Biancaluce Robbiani: yes a non Linden expert on K2B and wiki
[14:10] Lexie Linden: wiki queen
[14:10] Zai Lynch: lol ^^
[14:10] Zai Lynch: ty =)
[14:10] Radioactive Rosca: lol
[14:11] Boroondas Gupte: ah, expert who's a resident.
[14:11] Lexie Linden: Zai fixes my mistakes lol
[14:11] Youri Ashton: no lexie, she is a walking database :p
[14:11] Lexie Linden: haha
[14:11] Zai Lynch blushs ^^
[14:11] Boroondas Gupte though she'd know everything about residents :-P
[14:11] Biancaluce Robbiani: nice one Youri :))
[14:11] Youri Ashton: wanna know something? ask Zai :p
[14:11] Radioactive Rosca: Zaikipedia
[14:11] Lisa Lowe: two overviews
[14:11] Lexie Linden: lol
[14:11] Youri Ashton: ;)
[14:11] Dawny Daviau: lol
[14:11] Zai Lynch: ^^
[14:11] sergen Davies: lol
[14:11] Lexie Linden: Thanks for coming today! Good meeting ㋡
[14:12] Youri Ashton: perhaps a good candidate for the document team :p
[14:12] Lexie Linden: Can someone grab the transcript please?
[14:12] Zai Lynch: ok
[14:12] Youri Ashton: for once torley will be the one that knows less :p
[14:12] Radioactive Rosca: thanks for putting us to work
[14:12] Lexie Linden: ty!!
[14:12] Zai Lynch: ^_^
[14:12] Lexie Linden: I will talk to you all soon ㋡
[14:12] Youri Ashton: ttys lexie! thanks for this meeting! :)
[14:12] Lexie Linden: I'm going to dive back into some projects now
[14:12] Lexie Linden: : ))
[14:12] Lisa Lowe: Thanks Lexie. cya
[14:12] Lexie Linden: oh Bianca..I will Im you
[14:13] Monochrome Tomorrow: see you soon lexie ㋡ byebye
[14:13] Biancaluce Robbiani: ty lexie and if you have 2 minutes for my IM I would appreciate
[14:13] Youri Ashton: I gonne go back to my starter guide :)
[14:13] Lexie Linden: Bye for now!

Generated with SLog Wikifier