From Second Life Wiki
|LSL Portal||Functions | Events | Types | Operators | Constants | Flow Control | Script Library | Categorized Library | Tutorials|
- This function causes the script to sleep for 2.0 seconds.
- All object IM's are throttled at a maximum of 2500 per 30mins, per owner, per region in a rolling window. this includes IM's sent after the throttle is in place
- Throttled IM's are dropped. for implementation see notes below
- Messages longer than 1175 bytes will be truncated to 1175 bytes. This can convey 1175 ASCII characters, or fewer if non-ASCII characters are present.
|Important: The 1175 byte limit is changing. As of Feb 26th, 2013 in all sims, Instant messages are now truncated to 1023 bytes to prevent certain types of delivery failure. (see https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/13#13.02.15.270481 ).|
- will appear in the chat window and will not logged by the InstantMessage logging facility. (If a the specified user is not signed it, the messages will be delivered to their email just like a regular instant message, if the user has enabled email for their account.)
- llRegionSayTo may be a better choice if the target is in the same region as the object sending the message, as it has no built-in delay and can communicate directly with objects, as well as with avatars and their attachments.
- Instant Messaging allows communication from an object to an avatar anywhere on the Grid. However, an object cannot receive an Instant Message.
- Using llInstantMessage from one or more child scripts will avoid delays in the main script. Child scripts will still be subject to delays, message queue limits, and region throttles.
- Throttling Implementation (Kelly Linden):
- The throttle is on all IMs from the object owner. It does not disable all IMs in the region, but does disable all IMs from the owner of the object.
- The throttle is not per object, but per owner. Splitting the spamming object into multiple objects will not help unless owned by different people. This also means that owning multiple almost too spammy objects will cause you to hit the limit.
- 2500 IMs in 30 minutes will trigger the block.
- IMs that are blocked continue to count against the throttle. The IM count must drop below 2500 before any IMs will be delivered.
- The IM count of the previous window is used to approximate the rolling window. If it is 20% into the current window the IM count will be the current count + 80% of the previous count. This allows us to approximate a rolling average, however it has the behavior that a flood of IMs can have an effect on the throttle for double the window length. This is why in practice the throttle behaves more like 5k in 1hr than 2.5k in 30min.
This article wasn't helpful for you? Maybe the related article at the LSL Wiki is able to bring enlightenment.