|LSL Portal||Functions | Events | Types | Operators | Constants | Flow Control | Script Library | Categorized Library | Tutorials|
|• integer||channel||–||output chat channel, any integer value except zero|
|• string||msg||–||message to be transmitted|
Regardless of where the prim is, the message will not travel over region borders.
|DEBUG_CHANNEL||Chat channel reserved for script debugging and error messages, broadcasts to all nearby users.|
- Messages sent on DEBUG_CHANNEL are throttled to a rate of <200/10sec, per region, per owner/user.
- Once the rate is exceeded, all following messages on DEBUG_CHANNEL will be dropped until the send rate is again below 200/10sec for the previous 10 sec. Dropped messages, despite being dropped still count against the limit.
- This function cannot transmit on PUBLIC_CHANNEL channel 0, this is a design feature and not a bug.
- If is longer than 1024 characters it is truncated to 1024 characters. (Note that in Mono, each character occupies 2 memory bytes).
- A prim can not hear itself, this to prevent problems with recursion. It can however hear other prims within the same object.
If one object 'says' something to another object (e.g., a button that, when touched, turns on a lamp), it is a good idea to use a very negative channel, e.g.,
Negative channels are popular for script communications because the standard SL client is unable to chat directly on those channels ("/-xxxx message" won't chat "message" on channel "-xxxx", it will chat "/-xxxx message" on channel zero). The only way to do so prior to llTextBox was to use llDialog which was limited to 24 bytes.
If DEBUG_CHANNEL is used as, the script will say to the Script Warning/Error window.
If you wish two objects owned by the same person to communicate within a SIM, one idea is to make both scripts compute the channel based on the owner UUID. e.g. :-
gChannel = 0x80000000 | (integer) ( "0x" + (string) llGetOwner() );
- As of 1.18.3, using llRegionSay on the DEBUG_CHANNEL will wrap around and display on channel 0, with a range of 100m.
|•||llRegionSayTo||–||Sends chat directly to specified target within region|
|•||llOwnerSay||–||Sends chat to the owner only|
|•||llWhisper||–||Sends chat limited to 10 meters|
|•||llSay||–||Sends chat limited to 20 meters|
|•||llShout||–||Sends chat limited to 100 meters|