Content Creation/Mesh Import User Group
Currently topics are focused on anything related to the mesh import project. Feature requests, bug reports, design feedback, questions, comments, or example content are welcome.
Priority will be given to topics that are posted in advance and are relevant to the goals of the office hour. Feel free to include relevant links to JIRA or wiki pages.
Agenda for the next user group meeting is:
Please add topics below prior to 11:50 AM. Also, please put your SL name down so we can follow up if we have questions. Thanks!
Enter agenda items here (with name, please)
- Clouds and grey and blurry avatars, oh my! [Nyx Linden]
- Mesh upload timeouts since 3.2.5 https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28413 Darien Caldwell 10:08, 5 March 2012 (PST)
- A question and a complaint I often see is that "Include textures" doesn't seem to actually upload any textures and apply them, as would be expected. It's a minor point for most, just upload separately and apply manually, but why have an option if it doesn't do anything? Is "Include textures" supposed to upload the related textures for the model and apply them? Or does it do something else? - Feynt Mistral 08:49, 5 March 2012 (PST)
- Another question I hear often is whether SL supports normal/bump/specular maps. During the closed mesh beta we heard talk of a future materials system. Is there any word on whether that's even in planning? If it's "on the stack", is it at least somewhere near the top instead of near the bottom with more and more being piled upon it? - Feynt Mistral 08:49, 5 March 2012 (PST)
- Collada 1.4.1 isn't well supported when using more than one texture per mesh (they get mixed). Collada 1.4.0 still working fine. This problem is easy to reproduce. An OBJ file can be exported using Autodesk FBX Converter 2011.3.1 and FBX Converter 2012 to Collada files. One is possible to upload the other one have errors on textures. I also know some people had this problem too using Maya 2012 and Max 2012 aswell as in olders versions updating the plugin to 2012 version. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28488 [Kitsune Shan]
- The mesh importer dont show "edges" when you check the box. It seems to show them, but in white wich is the same color of the mesh so is impossible to see teh difference. Also happens with the physic shape. It should be also less restrictions to move, zoom and pan the mesh. (An only wireframe option could be useful too) [Kitsune Shan]
- Blender has a naming convention for mapping bone weights in mirrored paint mode, either .R and .L, or _R and _L for right and left bones (respectively). So elbow.R, elbow.L, shoulder.R, shoulder.L, and so on. I recall before the mesh beta went open, we were asked what other conventions besides the LL default would be appreciated. I mentioned this at the time, but I don't believe any have been added (Blender or not). Is it possible to make this change, possibly in an XML file or something which we could edit as a community to include different mappings for the bones based on our programs conventions? - Feynt Mistral 09:12, 5 March 2012 (PST)
- Improvements to mesh previewer. Full screen preview with textures and full viewport manipulation including in world lighting. This would greatly enhance the mesh upload experience could possibly be implemented as a temp upload only viewable by the uploading user ( that may have some restrictions for collaborative works ). TheyCallMeDick Cheney 09:19, 5 March 2012 (PST)
- Will the requirement that all LODs use the same materials be removed? This is a source of errors and time consuming. Cain Maven 10:23, 5 March 2012 (PST)
- Will the ability to set the center/pivot point be added? It would make creation of objects such as swinging doors and faucets easier, and remove the need to add extra geometry. Cain Maven 10:23, 5 March 2012 (PST)
- With respect to #9, I've noticed that the error messages returned to people regarding materials are very cryptic. They're a scant 20-40 characters, and offer no real hints to the artist as to what's wrong with their model, and only possible reasons to a programmer (unless you happen to have the source code for the viewer handy). Is it possible that the error codes could be prefaced with a code for easy wiki look ups, or converted to human (read: artist) readable errors so the same problem doesn't crop up over and over in group chat? - Feynt Mistral 10:49, 5 March 2012 (PST)
- What about adding a cellshade option for prims and Meshes? This should reduces the streaming cost as you tend to do it with double sculpties for sculpts with the outer one inside out and a whole extra set of outer triangles for Mesh objects with the face Normals pointing inwards. [Davido Chrome]
- Now that Charlar is engaged elsewhere, have the Linden Realm tools beta testing plans been shelved, delayed, or will it still go ahead? [Vivienne Daguerre]
- Is there a forum to discuss problems and issues with pathfinding on the aditi grid? [Vivienne Daguerre]
- Where can we turn for support regarding aditi issues? My inventory does not save from session to session, so any work I do is lost when I log out. [Vivienne Daguerre] -- Me too. I changed pw this weekend and I can't save from secession to secession either. Nalates Urriah
- Do we know the status of this UG? Trinity's sign suggests its finished. Nalates Urriah
Nyx Linden, Runitai Linden, and occasional other guest lindens. Please contact one of us if you are unsure if your topic is relevant or appropriate.
Links to chat transcripts of past meetings:
Archived Agenda/Meeting Notes
No Usergroup 2012-05-28 (Linden Holiday)
No Usergroup 2012-01-16
No Usergroup 2011-12-26 or 2012-01-02
No meeting took place on 2011-09-05
No meeting took place on 2011-07-04
No meeting took place on 2011-05-31